Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight, flight or fap

• 13-01-2012 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

When was the last time you were in a dangerous situation?

I was crossing the road at a busy traffic corner this morning before dawn and a car without lights on literally missed me by inches. Once I realised the spot I was in when the car was approaching I had to make a mad dash to the pavement. I swear, if I could bottle that situation there'd be no need for my current life threatening heroin addiction!

So, seeing as you're still alive and all, describe the last situation you were in where you genuinely felt your life was in danger and what happened?

I bloody love these types of threads! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Outside a parnell street bustop beside tesco, some guy dropped his glass (accidently?) from his apartment window right above me, it smashed a few metres from me

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Cycling through London the other day, got hit on the head by the wing mirror of a truck, luckily I was wearing a helmet but even more lucky was that I fell off my bike to the left onto the footpath instead of falling under the truck. I was shaking for ages afterwards and the truck driver seemed fairly shocked too (until he drove on 10 seconds later! :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So there I was, 6 feet deep in your ma's clunge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Almost got hit in the face by the luas. Was wearing headphones so didn't hear it coming and didn't see it either (if anybody knows the windy arbour stop) due to a blind corner.

Luckily, the driver must have seen me so rang the luas bell which made me jump to a stop. I somehow managed to calmly stand there and wait for it to pass looking cool as a cucumber while actually bricking it deep down

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I fell out the back of a pub once and into a bed of briars. Didnt see the fall. Doesnt sound believable but it happened. Was going out to the smoking area with a friend, took a wrong turn. Down we went like a bag of spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah once from an asthma attack - story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

**** me, that must have been terrifying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

gotta love the first response to that thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Most people's most dangerous time each day is their commute to work/school. Being in/around traffic is pretty dangerous compared to what most of us deal with.

Last dangerous situation was while I was mid air during a motorbike crash. The most dangerous situation Ive been in was crossing a road on acid while having a horrificly bad trip. Pardon the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

Hardly the right time and place far a fap. Whatever gets you goin' I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The last time my heart rate went through the roof. I can normally slow it myself with meds and certain exercises but nothing was bring it back down and it was about 180 beats per minute...closer to 190 by the time i got to the hospital.

A shock to the heart later and it was grand.

Scary **** though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

During the last bout of the DT's I got after ten days on the beer in a row during Christmas and the New Year, I honestly thought I was going to die. Heart going ninety, cold sweat, everything.

Was so bad that I had to go for a cure the following day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Session of charlie,followed by a visit to a BJ bar in Bangkok,my heart hit my chest bone with a mighty bang scared the siht out of herself.I thought i was going to come and go at the same time
    Strange but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Last dangerous situation was while I was mid air during a motorbike crash. The most dangerous situation Ive been in was crossing a road on acid while having a horrificly bad trip. Pardon the pun.

I'd a motorbike crash yesterday, Friday 13th :(

I've been laid up since.

Most dangerous situ I've been in is probably a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was going into a bar when some guys decided to start on a buddy of mine, I don't remember exactly what happened, just seeing 2 pairs of hands at his throat. With no anger or feeling whatsoever I stuck two arms between them opened my arms out and put one of the guys on his ass. It felt to me like I was just lightly pushing him back, but from where he landed there must have been some force behind it. :jedi:

Of course, the only part a guard allegedly saw was me putting the guy on his ass so he ignored the two scrotes trying to start a fight.

(that's not my most dangerous situation, just the most recent.)

I run around the place a lot, was running through town one day meeting a friend and I was late, I was running down a small side street that gets little traffic which merges onto a busier street, I kept running to the very edge of the road when I just pulled straight back and fell on my ass just as a van went past at a higher speed than one would expect in town....I walked the rest of the way after that, If I had been a second too early or a second too late I was at least gonna be badly injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

A junkie tried to mug me outside Trinity college recently.

The red mist well and truly descended and was enough to get all my money back. I never imagined that beating a junkie could be so satisfyng

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

delta720 wrote: »
    Cycling through London the other day, got hit on the head by the wing mirror of a truck, luckily I was wearing a helmet but even more lucky was that I fell off my bike to the left onto the footpath instead of falling under the truck. I was shaking for ages afterwards and the truck driver seemed fairly shocked too (until he drove on 10 seconds later! :rolleyes: ).
    I hope you claimed damages, I would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

A bur eireann bus nearly crashed into me when it ran a red light. Good thing I had my wits about me and a good pair of breaks on the car otherwise we would have been killed! It was a rather scary moment alright!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Learning to fly, and had the opportunity to do a long trip.

Got more than worried when I discovered some way in that I was doing a better job of flying the aircraft than the instructor who was sitting next to me and supposedly much more esperienced.

Later in the trip, had to fight down the panic and concentrate VERY hard when we got into weather conditions that were supposedly way beyond my experience or training, and it became clear that I was still the one doing the better job of flying the aircraft. Ended up with having to do some serious instrument flying at a time when I was not supposed to even know what instrument flying was. I was very glad that I'd been doing some playing with Flight simulator on the Commodore before the trip, and been reading some of the manuals about instrument flying.

It was the only time I was glad to get back on the ground.

Learnt a lot about flying, me, and the way "the system" works from that.

The instructor concerned was "invited" to find alternate employment outside of the aviation industry about 3 months later once all the official reports and paperwork had been dealt with.

I went on to buy a high performance twin a few years later, with a view to getting a CPL/IR and then ATPL, and moving into commercial flying.

I have never forgotten that day, and I never will.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Afghanistan. A sniper must have been zeroed in because I tripped and the guy behind me got his face blown off. But none of ye would know...ye weren't there!!!

I'd a motorbike crash yesterday, Friday 13th :(

I've been laid up since.

Most dangerous situ I've been in is probably a war.

Hope you're ok.!

Advertisement