Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving German TV through satellite in Dublin

• 13-01-2012 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Any way I can receive German tv here in Dublin? I currently have the skybox but of course there is no German stations on it. Before anyone recommends I'm aware that you can watch streams online but I'm wondering specifically for receiving to TV? Cheers:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Any specific channels? Are you looking for FTA stuff or subscription?

Most of the free german channels are on 19.2 east. Sky is 28 east.

You might get more replies by posting in the Foreign satellite section here. You'll probably need another dish and box to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Get another dish and point it at Astra 1. You can link it through a disecq(electronic) switch into your existing installation. There's plenty of German stations to be viewed freely on Astra 1.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=622

This is the forum for "foreign" satellite TV. :)

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Get another dish and point it at Astra 1. You can link it through a disecq(electronic) switch into your existing installation. There's plenty of German stations to be viewed freely on Astra 1.

The sky box doesn't support disecq, i thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jc_eire

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

Can this be used in addition to the sky dish or do you need to use one or the other?

druss wrote: »
    Any specific channels? Are you looking for FTA stuff or subscription?

Most of the free german channels are on 19.2 east. Sky is 28 east.

You might get more replies by posting in the Foreign satellite section here. You'll probably need another dish and box to do this.

The free to air channels would be what I'm interested in..RTL, ZDF, Pro7 etc.

• Advertisement

jc_eire wrote: »
    The free to air channels would be what I'm interested in..RTL, ZDF, Pro7 etc.

They are all on 19 east.

On a diseq enabled receiver, you can switch between your two dishes. Or you can get a bigger dish, which has multiple lnbs (or feeds on it). Or you could get a motorised dish which can move to whichever location you require at a given time.

Free german stuff on 19.2

druss wrote: »
    Free german stuff on 19.2

Cheers for the help, I wonder is it a difficulty/hassle to get set up...where would one get such a dish/receiver??:confused:

jc_eire wrote: »
    Cheers for the help, I wonder is it a difficulty/hassle to get set up...where would one get such a dish/receiver??:confused:

There is an initial outlay involved in getting it set up but seeing as you are only interested in the free channels, its a once off payment. The cost would vary, depending on the preferred type of solution.

If you have a look on the foreign satellite forum, you'll get a better idea. There are also links to various shops and suppliers for the equipment, installation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I got my box last year and it was set up to my sky dish and installed brilliantly from one of the members here on boards. I can give u his name and u can pm him. It was 160euros but it is fantastic. The best outlay I made last year. I can watch ARD, ZDF, ProSieben, Sat1 etc without any problems each evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I have had dozens of German free mainstream channels ( Das Erste, ZDF RTL etc) for several years but now most of the mainstream channels are no longer on 19.2. Similarly with Spanish channels now only a few regional commercial stations are available - no RTVe channels.
    I think some of these channels have moved to Astra 1 on 28.2 but my dish is set to 19.2 and I cannot easily change it.
    Am I missing something here? Any information welcome

Looking this morning at the Astra website
    http://www.onastra.com/how-to-receive
    the aforementioned mainstream German channels ( Das Erste, ZDF, RTL RBB etc) should be receivable in my area (Dublin) on 19.2.
    I do not know why they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Ernest wrote: »
    Looking this morning at the Astra website
    http://www.onastra.com/how-to-receive
    the aforementioned mainstream German channels ( Das Erste, ZDF, RTL RBB etc) should be receivable in my area (Dublin) on 19.2.
    I do not know why they are not.

They definitely will if you have the right size of satellite dish.

I have finally figured out what was wrong!
    When scanning Astra 1 at 19.2E for stations, I had inadvertently set the POLARITY to "V". This meant that any stations with polarity of "H" were not downloaded.
    I re-scanned, this time setting the polarity to "H/V" and this seems to have fixed the problem. At least most of the German stations I had mentioned are coming up on the screen.

Thanks to anyone who responded.

Advertisement