Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixed-race couples

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its 2012. Ireland has all different nationalities in it now. Nothing wrong with some black guy/white girl or some black girl/white guy etc etc. Times be a' changing :)
    Oddjob wrote: »
    You said in your first post you were black, this automatically means that 95% of this forum will agree with anything you say, it's like some post colonial guilt except we never had any colonies.

It's AH, there's a 140+ posts saying what a nice bloke you are, a fine musician and they'd be honoured if you rode their daughters.

What reaction do you think you'd get if you said you were Finbarr from Blanchardstown and some 17 year old wouldn't give you the time of day because you were a knacker?

But I know where Oddjob is coming from and I have to agree on this one.
    IMO, when the word "black" and something 'within Ireland' pops up on boards. Its quite the spectacle.

Best example I can give was that someone posted a thread in AH last year about 4 black guys beating up an Irish DJ in temple bar. Someone who personally knew the chap posted up a facebook picture of him laying in hospital and this guy really got worked over judging from the pic :(

But cue 100s and 100s of posts of everyone accusing the other of being a racist. Nearly every moral crusader on here jumping out of the woodwork to defend the honor of black people in Ireland... while no one was saying anything about them :) ... just talking about what four men did to one man.
    Comments were said such as "those scumbags!" only to be met with "what do you mean THOSE?!" ... but as someone said in the thread if it was 4 skangers beating on one guy. The thread wouldnt of lasted a fraction as much as it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Two guys I work with say they wouldn't allow their sons date or marry white girls. The rest of us wouldn't care who our children dated as long as they were good people from good families.

I have spotted the sons of one of these guys (they are African by the way) down at the shopping centre surrounded by white girls, with one snogging the face off a blonde white girl :D

I could be tempted to tell their Dad, but I'm not going to spoil their fun!

OP, just ask her out on a date - the worst that can happen is she says no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Oh to be 17 & black again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Agento.T.o wrote: »
    Social construct is determined by Race Guess your White only Whites go around discussing how they don't even exist. O.P if your just an individual couple then happy to you but you may lead the way for the destruction of the White&Irish genotype in this country Would you be happy knowing that you where the first of many to have contributed to Irish Genocide?

This post genuinely made me laugh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm in a mixed-race couple and nobody has ever batted an eyelid. The only time I've felt people noticed it was randomly at Alton Towers a a few years ago. There were a lot of Indian/Pakistani familes there and they were staring at us and whispering, presumably because my fiance was with a white girl and some of those communities in England can be very insular. It was weird but that's the only explanation I can think of. We were with two of our friends who noticed it independently of us so we weren't being paranoid.

Otherwise, I've never really been aware of it, nobody seems to notice, in Ireland or in NZ and it certainly never crossed my mind as a problem when we got together originally. It's a non-issue. It's quite common these days, imo.

I also do expect we'll have beautiful babies (naturally, I think that!) although it is funny to think that they'll pretty much look more like him than me - damn his strong genes!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

watna wrote: »

I also do expect we'll have beautiful babies (naturally, I think that!) although it is funny to think that they'll pretty much look more like him than me - damn his strong genes!! :D

Actually, a friend of mine (Pakistani) is married to a pale-skinned Irishman, they have three sons who look exactly like him except they have darker skin - we tell her husband we now know what he'd look like with a suntan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I`m half african my hubby`s Irish. We have encountered some racism but only from stupid people who talk to me slowly cause they think I`m foreign, there just culchie`s!

Its all down to people your age groups attitude really, parents rarely approve of anyone their daughter dates. Is it ok to be a black teenage guy in Ireland? Do you feel accepted? What will your piers think of your relationship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm not white and I'd kinda agree with oddjob to an extent from my experience in Ireland. I keep seeing stuff about Ireland being racist popping up all over the place but I find it very much the opposite. This country is very PC as a country on a whole. So many people getting all bent outta shape about race when it doesn't even affect them. I don't know how many times I've had friends or even strangers involved in a conversation 'stick up' for me over what they construed as racist comments when they weren't even remotely close and me as the brown man wasn't offended in the slightest.

Another example recently. I was in the post office before Christmas about 1pm. I heard the fella tell some girl to leave because she came in after 1pm and since it was lunch time they were only dealing with who was in The queue prior to that time. I chanced walking up pretending I didn't hear him and as I only needed a book of stamps I thought I might get them. Anyways the fella stands up again about to tell me to leave like the last person but looks up and then sits back down and says nothing. He then refused another person seconds later. Only difference between the 3 late comers was my skin color. I'm not complaining as it saved me hastle that day. But it looked like didn't say anything to me because he wanted to avoid some race issue. Which in itself was more a racist act than telling me to get out. He was labelling me as someone that would play the race card based on my skin color.

I have loads of experiences similar to that. This country is PC mental and often the act of extra accommodation towards another race is more racist than just saying no or whatever the circumstances require. The expectation of confrontation can be really annoying rather than thinking racial abuse. But some can take it both ways. I Don't believe a lot of Irish people actually know what racism is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

kelle wrote: »
    Actually, a friend of mine (Pakistani) is married to a pale-skinned Irishman, they have three sons who look exactly like him except they have darker skin - we tell her husband we now know what he'd look like with a suntan!

Ha, love it. That's good to hear!

I'll be happy for them not to inherit my milky white skin anyway. No children of mine will be laughed at in school and have people tell them their mother had sex with the milkman and that's why I was so pale :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Go for it OP, he who dares wins ;)

Haters gonna hate but thank god there are still more lovers than haters in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm not white and I'd kinda agree with oddjob to an extent from my experience in Ireland. I keep seeing stuff about Ireland being racist popping up all over the place but I find it very much the opposite. This country is very PC as a country on a whole. So many people getting all bent outta shape about race when it doesn't even affect them. I don't know how many times I've had friends or even strangers involved in a conversation 'stick up' for me over what they construed as racist comments when they weren't even remotely close and me as the brown man wasn't offended in the slightest.

Another example recently. I was in the post office before Christmas about 1pm. I heard the fella tell some girl to leave because she came in after 1pm and since it was lunch time they were only dealing with who was in The queue prior to that time. I chanced walking up pretending I didn't hear him and as I only needed a book of stamps I thought I might get them. Anyways the fella stands up again about to tell me to leave like the last person but looks up and then sits back down and says nothing. He then refused another person seconds later. Only difference between the 3 late comers was my skin color. I'm not complaining as it saved me hastle that day. But it looked like didn't say anything to me because he wanted to avoid some race issue. Which in itself was more a racist act than telling me to get out. He was labelling me as someone that would play the race card based on my skin color.

I have loads of experiences similar to that. This country is PC mental and often the act of extra accommodation towards another race is more racist than just saying no or whatever the circumstances require. The expectation of confrontation can be really annoying rather than thinking racial abuse. But some can take it both ways. I Don't believe a lot of Irish people actually know what racism is.

I remember waiting for a game of pool in a bar in Berlin. I was watching the games previous where a black guy was winning but being a total chancer with the rules and getting away with it, playing against some crusty old German lad before it was my turn. After witnessing him having to give the most cringeworthy 'brother hug' initiated by the crusty German guy, it was our game. He tried some BS move and I called him up on it straight away. His glory run was over at the pool table but I think part of him appreciated it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    Contradicting yourself again...

I'm going to leave you to it, finish your last bottle of tesco's wine, let your 16 cats out and hit the bed.

On a totally unrelated matter, I'm guessing you're single?

That's not a come on by the way, I've started self-harming about 90 minutes ago.
    Can't handle being called up on his illogical bollocks, resorts to getting personal. Professor, we got ourselves a generic one here.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its 2012. Ireland has all different nationalities in it now. Nothing wrong with some black guy/white girl or some black girl/white guy etc etc. Times be a' changing :)
    You said in your first post you were black, this automatically means that 95% of this forum will agree with anything you say, it's like some post colonial guilt except we never had any colonies.

It's AH, there's a 140+ posts saying what a nice bloke you are, a fine musician and they'd be honoured if you rode their daughters.

What reaction do you think you'd get if you said you were Finbarr from Blanchardstown and some 17 year old wouldn't give you the time of day because you were a knacker?

But I know where Oddjob is coming from and I have to agree on this one.
    IMO, when the word "black" and something 'within Ireland' pops up on boards. Its quite the spectacle.

Best example I can give was that someone posted a thread in AH last year about 4 black guys beating up an Irish DJ in temple bar. Someone who personally knew the chap posted up a facebook picture of him laying in hospital and this guy really got worked over judging from the pic :(

But cue 100s and 100s of posts of everyone accusing the other of being a racist. Nearly every moral crusader on here jumping out of the woodwork to defend the honor of black people in Ireland... while no one was saying anything about them :) ... just talking about what four men did to one man.
    Comments were said such as "those scumbags!" only to be met with "what do you mean THOSE?!" ... but as someone said in the thread if it was 4 skangers beating on one guy. The thread wouldnt of lasted a fraction as much as it did.
    The over defensiveness of black people is overstated - most of the time it's not defensiveness at all, just fairness and common sense. It's just not bringing colour into things because there's no need. Oddball is the one who has to focus on colour. He clearly resents any sort of pleasantness at all towards black people and sees this as special treatment of them rather than just run of the mill politeness. Read his posts - very racist overtones. See the shyte at the start he wrote implying if you're ok with mixed race dating you're ok with Roma pickpocketing etc. Retarded tripe.
    Racism in Ireland is overstated too though. Of course there are some racist imbeciles, like anywhere, but that doesn't make here a racist society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My parents once sat me down and said "If you ever come home with a black man we'll disown you" and they really meant it. As of late though it's African men rather than all black men (yes my Mam clarified this to me recently), which may or may not be progress :confused:

Some people are just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I think old micka jackson said it best

it dont mattaahhh if yahh blackaa or whitaahhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

phasers wrote: »
    My parents once sat me down and said "If you ever come home with a black man we'll disown you" and they really meant it. As of late though it's African men rather than all black men (yes my Mam clarified this to me recently), which may or may not be progress :confused:

On hearing some story (untrue) that his daughter (a person of my aqquaintance) had taken up with a 'non-caucasian' a man apparently 'took to the bed' for the best part of a week with the shock.

Mind you, in some families Jnr not turning up with the right social class person as a choice gets as bad or worse reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jude_2010

phasers wrote: »

So your parents wouldn't mind if you came home with an Usher/Chris Brown/Jason Derulo but would have a problem if you came home with a true African Black guy??
    No offence but thats a pretty closed minded way of looking at it. I'm Nigerian and have been living here for 12 years i came as a kid and you honestly wouldn't be able to tell i was Nigeria i mean I've the accent of any other Irish man. And adopted the culture too. Except i don't drink :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Jude_2010 wrote: »
    So your parents wouldn't mind if you came home with an Usher/Chris Brown/Jason Derulo but would have a problem if you came home with a true African Black guy??
    No offence but thats a pretty closed minded way of looking at it. I'm Nigerian and have been living here for 12 years i came as a kid and you honestly wouldn't be able to tell i was Nigeria i mean I've the accent of any other Irish man. And adopted the culture too. Except i don't drink :P

LOL I remember hearing that for the first time, I was on a bus and a big black kid gets on and he was carrying a hurl

Then he lets a roar, "JAYSUS ginger yah loon wats the bleeden story" then he plonks himself down beside his mate. I nearly jumped out of my seat with the shock and then I was thinking, Ireland has changed.

Go for it op if she says yes, have a good time, if she says no, wellcome to the world of dating and its enevitable disapointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

So your parents wouldn't mind if you came home with an Usher/Chris Brown/Jason Derulo

At least the child would be sorted for life if she was going out with one of them.

Except Chris Brown, then she'd be beaten up.

• Advertisement

At least the child would be sorted for life if she was going out with one of them.

Except Chris Brown, then she'd be beaten up.

That's a topic for another day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Hope it all works out for you, OP! Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

This country is PC mental...

The concept of PC obviously differs in the eyes of the beholder.

There is nothing PC mental whatsoever about Ireland. It's not a racist society but to state it's really right-on and uber tolerant is a fallacy. The latter can go too far and become pretty intolerant in and of itself. Wouldn't like it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I gotta ask, is she hot?.

Don't worry, I think they truly just meant someone like Obama and not like Usher/Chris Brown/Jason Derulo.

Don't worry, I think they truly just meant someone like Obama and not like Usher/Chris Brown/Jason Derulo.

true true .. who wouldn't want an Obama son-in-law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

I don't understand why people who are a different races when they come here they change their name to a western name. That is really messed up what would you want to change your culture! just to 'fit in' if Irish people don't understand your name/pronounce your name that is their problem why would you want to change who you are for others.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I gotta ask, is she hot?.

haha the same question was asked last night I posted a link to one of her pics but the mods told me to kindly remove it. Put it this way she looks like a seventeen year old 40% sexier Leigh-Allyn Baker but she claims she doesn't look anything like her but to me she does :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The concept of PC obviously differs in the eyes of the beholder.

It might do. But i'm following this definition

The avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult certain groups of people.
    Dudess wrote: »
    There is nothing PC mental whatsoever about Ireland. It's not a racist society but to state it's really right-on and uber tolerant is a fallacy. The latter can go too far and become pretty intolerant in and of itself. Wouldn't like it either.

And i refer you to the above post that you thanked. I'm not sure what race or nationality you are. But i'm Mexican and live in Ireland. So my experience may be a bit different than yours if you are white and Irish. I never said Ireland is really "right-on" or "uber tolerant". I said it was very PC or PC mental. Just look on this forum. You can't say this or say that in case it's seen as racism. Also look at the media or try dealing with the police as a non white person, try dealing with a politician as a non white person, actually try dealing with anybody in a professional capacity as a non white person. It's funny and very noticeable to see their attitude change and try use what they deem to be correct terms. I deal with the Gardai a fair bit in my line of work and i see it every time how their attitude changes to be more accommodating.

I never play the race card and you can see in multiple threads on this forum where i have defended the Irish as not being racist. But when you're standing back watching someone deal with an Irish person and then they deal with you next. You can see a change in body language. Nothing negative or racial about it. But it always comes across as trying not to offend. Hence what i meant by PC mental. I still have mates that almost refuse to acknowledge i'm a different race in fear of offending. It's the same with a good amount of strangers i meet when out. It's not everyone as of course every country has it's arseholes.

• Advertisement

It might do. But i'm following this definition

The avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult certain groups of people.

And i refer you to the above post that you thanked. I'm not sure what race or nationality you are. But i'm Mexican and live in Ireland. So my experience may be a bit different than yours if you are white and Irish. I never said Ireland is really "right-on" or "uber tolerant". I said it was very PC or PC mental. Just look on this forum. You can't say this or say that in case it's seen as racism. Also look at the media or try dealing with the police as a non white person, try dealing with a politician as a non white person, actually try dealing with anybody in a professional capacity as a non white person. It's funny and very noticeable to see their attitude change and try use what they deem to be correct terms. I deal with the Gardai a fair bit in my line of work and i see it every time how their attitude changes to be more accommodating.

I never play the race card and you can see in multiple threads on this forum where i have defended the Irish as not being racist. But when you're standing back watching someone deal with an Irish person and then they deal with you next. You can see a change in body language. Nothing negative or racial about it. But it always comes across as trying not to offend. Hence what i meant by PC mental. I still have mates that almost refuse to acknowledge i'm a different race in fear of offending. It's the same with a good amount of strangers i meet when out. It's not everyone as of course every country has it's arseholes.

That may be the definition but when defining an entire people, it is in the eye of beholder. From my experiences on this board and from living in Ireland, I do not believe that Ireland is as PC mental as say Germany or the UK. I remember attempting to have a discussion about "Black Face" on this board only to have people demean my own cultural and historical background by saying that my views were too PC when I just possess a different societal context. It is definitely in the eyes of the beholder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I'm in a mixed race relationship (actually never had any other type of relationship ;)) I've never had any problems with other people looking at me strangely because of that, if you feel it's right and your (potential) partner feels the same, go for it, who cares what other people think.

OK fair enough, if family have a proble with it, it could be tricky, but it's your life, you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Domitius Felix Invictus Aurelianus

Apanachi wrote: »
    I'm in a mixed race relationship (actually never had any other type of relationship ;)) I've never had any problems with other people looking at me strangely because of that, if you feel it's right and your (potential) partner feels the same, go for it, who cares what other people think.

OK fair enough, if family have a proble with it, it could be tricky, but it's your life, you decide

Im bettin ur father was Roman and mother was Persian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'd be delighted if it was my daughter... cute mixed-race kids ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

TheZohan wrote: »
    Now are you black or just really, really dark navy blue?

'Cos I'll be damned if ima gonna let my daughter date a smurf. :mad:

what if that smurf was a wealthy, well educated, & sound smurf that offered to let you use his blue boat docked in monte carlo when the f1 was on?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Basically, lets say you're a parent and your daughter says she's dating a black guy

I am a parent and I wouldn't care what colour bloke my daughter was seeing.
    What I do care about is the fact that he treat her right and respect her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I am a parent and I wouldn't care what colour bloke my daughter was seeing.
    What I do care about is the fact that he treat her right and respect her.

That really is the main thing, great post.

Im bettin ur father was Roman and mother was Persian
    Hope you're not betting money on it, cos you lose ;)

Hope you're not betting money on it, cos you lose ;)

Half Polish/totally hot then?

• Advertisement

Half Polish/totally hot then?

let's go with totally hot ;)

I'm dark-skinned (one black parent, one white), but having grown up in Ireland in totally white communities, the only relationships I ever had were with white men and when I moved to Germany, it was to a mainly white community and that's where I met my white husband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

You just hear stories of all types of foreign men charming an Irish woman to marry them, and help them get a passport into Europe. These stories make you worried and I have seen it happen in my area when a local woman married a Turkish man, who has now disappeared after numerous affairs with other women. I know, call me a stereotype and all, but this is a reason why parents and other people fear mixed relationships.

I agree with posts that as along as the couple are happy and treat each other well, then there shouldn't be any difficulty.

and you honestly wouldn't be able to tell i was Nigeria i mean I've the accent of any other Irish man. And adopted the culture too. Except i don't drink :P

I was the only "darkie" in my school and the best irish speaker in the class

I was talking to a few Irish lads in the pub last year (in Ireland) andeven though they were friendly and fairly open-minded, they refused to believe I was Irish despite my very strong irish accent, so I baffled them with Irish (even though I have forgotten so much of what I learned in school, I could speak much better Irish than any of them (have to say they were a bit thick though, they claimed any word they didn't understand was made up ;))

let's go with totally hot ;)

I'm dark-skinned (one black parent, one white), but having grown up in Ireland in totally white communities, the only relationships I ever had were with white men and when I moved to Germany, it was to a mainly white community and that's where I met my white husband

Sounds like u have a bit of regret there having not sampled the entire menu?

PS All Germans are barbarians

I was the only "darkie" in my school and the best irish speaker in the class

I was talking to a few Irish lads in the pub last year (in Ireland) andeven though they were friendly and fairly open-minded, they refused to believe I was Irish despite my very strong irish accent, so I baffled them with Irish (even though I have forgotten so much of what I learned in school, I could speak much better Irish than any of them (have to say they were a bit thick though, they claimed any word they didn't understand was made up ;))

Ohhh whats I prefer dark chocolate and warm milk to help me sleep in Irish?

Sounds like u have a bit of regret there having not sampled the entire menu?

Oh, dear God, I wouldn't want to sample the whole menu, way too many races out there to try them all ;)

PS All Germans are barbarians

Ah well, at least my German's not a Bavarian ;)

• Advertisement

Oh, dear God, I wouldn't want to sample the whole menu, way too many races out there to try them all ;)

u tried Irish and didnt stay for the entire course tut tut

Ohhh whats I prefer dark chocolate and warm milk to help me sleep in Irish?

I did say I forgot lots, so this is not going to be 100% correct

Is fearr liom seacláid dorchas agus bainne te chun cabhrú liom dul a chodladh

I did say I forgot lots, so this is not going to be 100% correct

Is fearr liom seacláid dorchas agus bainne te chun cabhrú liom dul a chodladh

im gonna try that on when I meet up with my next intro racism fab ass woman! ill take ur word for it and hope it doesnt mean i like my coffee black and my women anal or someting along them lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

Im a parent . I have a daughter. If she came home and said she was dating a black guy I wouldnt bat an eye. I would ask the usual questions I would ask in relation to a white boy like what does he do, is he nice etc.
    I know there are alot of ignorant people out there. Rise above it. They have the problem not you. And if your girl cant be proud to be with you in public then maybe she isisnt mature enough to be with you. Hope it works out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Im a father of a daughter (7 weeks so purely hypothetical:D) and i would not give a fiddlers. in fact i would be delighted about it.....provided the guy was decent. Good luck with it...

My daughter is 17 and i couldn't care less. People are people, once he's nice to her there's no problem. If he's not, then things change!

• Advertisement
Advertisement