Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixed-race couples

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

edgecutter wrote: »
    You just hear stories of all types of foreign men charming an Irish woman to marry them, and help them get a passport into Europe. These stories make you worried and I have seen it happen in my area when a local woman married a Turkish man, who has now disappeared after numerous affairs with other women. I know, call me a stereotype and all, but this is a reason why parents and other people fear mixed relationships.

I agree with posts that as along as the couple are happy and treat each other well, then there shouldn't be any difficulty.

That is a judgemental attitude you have about foreign men, Why is it only men your targeting, there is a good few filipino women and other foreign women with Irish men and many of these men are quite older than the women from what I see. Well women should know not to get involved with arab men because women seem to have not much rights as far as their concerned. I have noticed that some Irish women who's husband/partner is a different colour seemed to be looked down upon by some people because of this. I actually heard some people forming opinions of women and labelling women as 'easy' or 'trampish' just because their partner is a different colour.

Some of my extended family; my cousins, these include women are married to foreign men, they are very decent and all of them are very family orientated which isn't what you could say about a good few Irish men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Dudess wrote: »
    . Oddball is the one who has to focus on colour. He clearly resents any sort of pleasantness at all towards black people and sees this as special treatment of them rather than just run of the mill politeness. Read his posts - very racist overtones. See the shyte at the start he wrote implying if you're ok with mixed race dating you're ok with Roma pickpocketing etc. Retarded tripe.

I dislike this kind of stuff, smearing a poster with some very strong accusations when s/he is not around to defend themselves - surely the honorable thing to do would be to take it to pm, slightly cowardly, sneaky and nasty in my view although maybe you weren't aware he had been booted from the thread when you wrote that, if so you might consider deleting the defammatory stuff in that and again take your issues to pm - as far as I can see, all he said was a knacker would get a more negative reaction than a black guy if he had the same dilemma, which is at worse sidetracking the thread into how we categorize and value ethnic groups and what is the basis for pc mores being applied more rigorously in some cases than others, in many cases there are entirely valid reasons why certain causes are elevated above others but what the "interveners/rescuers/do-gooders" often don't realise, is that that for all their good intentions, they too are participating in what might loosely be described as racism i.e. "treating people differently based on the colour of their skin" - people often do this to the disabled too and other ethnic groups in rather desperate, transparent and overly self-conscious efforts to NOT be seen as something.................but as some of the non-white people on here have pointed out, they find this behaviour rather strange and artificial and it does illustrate the racial divide to an extent when people are so fearful around minorities, let's stop walking on eggshells, Us apologetic priviliged eager-to-be-seen-as-defending-some-cause-or-another white people have feet that are made for smooth surfaces - but it's the liberal paradox again rearing its ugly head, "anything goes, we're all great, free speech, to each his own, live and let live BUT if anyone disagrees with my world view I reserve the right to contradict all that stuff and rip their balls off or accuse them of all sorts knowing full well the pc bandwagon will steam in behind me" as we become the kind of left of centre version of that not so great man Senator Joseph McCarthy

that's just my view of course and I hope I am entitled to it and if it leads to abuse or wild accusations or whatever then it kinda proves the point I am trying to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I have very strong feelings on this subject, but I am going to say this politely so that I don't get infracted or banned by the moderators (again).
    Personally I don't agree with mixed race relationships.
    I believe that you should date your own ethnic group.
    I have seen the problems mixed relationships have, differences in culture can cause problems.
    The other factor is that mixed children can often feel polarised as they have a mixed ethnicity, and feel confused about there identity and race.

I have very strong feelings on this subject, but I am going to say this politely so that I don't get infracted or banned by the moderators (again).
    I have seen the problems mixed relationships have, differences in culture can cause problems.
    The other factor is that mixed children can often feel polarised as they have a mixed ethnicity, and feel confused about there identity and race.

Well that is your opinion and your entitled to it but not all people are the same and people are people, they will do what they want. There is many bad examples of mixed race relationships and there is many good examples of mixed race relationships. There is alot of biological and genetic implications with interbreeding only mixing within your own race, look at all the diseases here because of the small gene pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

Oddjob wrote: »
    It would depend on your background.

??? id imagine op is from a black background, whatever difference that makes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

donfers wrote: »
    . Oddball is the one who has to focus on colour. He clearly resents any sort of pleasantness at all towards black people and sees this as special treatment of them rather than just run of the mill politeness. Read his posts - very racist overtones. See the shyte at the start he wrote implying if you're ok with mixed race dating you're ok with Roma pickpocketing etc. Retarded tripe.

I dislike this kind of stuff, smearing a poster with some very strong accusations when s/he is not around to defend themselves - surely the honorable thing to do would be to take it to pm, slightly cowardly, sneaky and nasty in my view although maybe you weren't aware he had been booted from the thread when you wrote that, if so you might consider deleting the defammatory stuff in that and again take your issues to pm - as far as I can see, all he said was a knacker would get a more negative reaction than a black guy if he had the same dilemma, which is at worse sidetracking the thread into how we categorize and value ethnic groups and what is the basis for pc mores being applied more rigorously in some cases than others, in many cases there are entirely valid reasons why certain causes are elevated above others but what the "interveners/rescuers/do-gooders" often don't realise, is that that for all their good intentions, they too are participating in what might loosely be described as racism i.e. "treating people differently based on the colour of their skin" - people often do this to the disabled too and other ethnic groups in rather desperate, transparent and overly self-conscious efforts to NOT be seen as something.................but as some of the non-white people on here have pointed out, they find this behaviour rather strange and artificial and it does illustrate the racial divide to an extent when people are so fearful around minorities, let's stop walking on eggshells, Us apologetic priviliged eager-to-be-seen-as-defending-some-cause-or-another white people have feet that are made for smooth surfaces - but it's the liberal paradox again rearing its ugly head, "anything goes, we're all great, free speech, to each his own, live and let live BUT if anyone disagrees with my world view I reserve the right to contradict all that stuff and rip their balls off or accuse them of all sorts knowing full well the pc bandwagon will steam in behind me" as we become the kind of left of centre version of that not so great man Senator Joseph McCarthy

that's just my view of course and I hope I am entitled to it and if it leads to abuse or wild accusations or whatever then it kinda proves the point I am trying to make
    I think you should read his posts again, and my posts backing up why I said what I said - I didn't say what I said without basis. I didn't know he was booted out of the thread, and I'm glad he was - some of what he said was messed up, and he resorted to personal swipes based on nothing. I stand by my contention that he was reading "special treatment" into mere pleasantries simply because the kid is black.
    It appears you, like he, are imagining people were falling over themselves to be PC (given your OTT use of the usual labels) whereas they simply took him at face value, a seemingly pleasant lad - they actually weren't paying attention to his colour, rather than glorifying it.
    Obviously if a person admitted to being a "knacker", whatever colour, they would be likely to face hostility... :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think you should read his posts again, and my posts backing up why I said what I said - I didn't say what I said without basis. I didn't know he was booted out of the thread, and I'm glad he was - some of what he said was messed up, and he resorted to personal swipes based on nothing. I stand by my contention that he was reading "special treatment" into mere pleasantries simply because the kid is black.
    It appears you, like he, are imagining people were falling over themselves to be PC (given your OTT use of the usual labels) whereas they simply took him at face value, a seemingly pleasant lad - they actually weren't paying attention to his colour, rather than glorifying it.
    Obviously if a person admitted to being a "knacker", whatever colour, they would be likely to face hostility... :confused:

you're correct, i didn't read all his posts

I apologise for accusing you of being slightly sneaky, cowardly and nasty, I was wrong to assume you were aware he had been booted out of the thread

your comments are fair and measured here, I just think at times some of us including myself kneejerk at times towards radical assumptions

i.e.

if someone says that it isn't the wisest course of action for a girl to get totally and utterly drunk and go home to a strangers house = a tonne of people dive in saying they are basically condoning rape

if someone says they are aware of a significant number of immigrants abusing the welfare system or being attracted to this country to avail of welfare only = a tonne of people dive in implying they are nazis

if someone says they have a black friend and say that he plays up the whole gangster rapper image in terms of fashion/acquiring women/having sex with lots of women and the witness finds this behaviour vulgar and damaging = the racist accusations will be forthcoming pronto

there are root social causes for a lot of this stuff, larger more complex systems at play that influence these kind of scenarios, it's not a simple case of man hates woman/immigrant/black guy, it's not as black and white as that and just as a lot of the perceptions described in the examples above may not be fully-formed objective analyses, it is equally if not more disingenuous when others come steaming in making unfounded leaping allegations based on the flimsiest of suppositions and the most tenuous of connecting ideologies - this creates a really stilted stifled atmosphere where peoples' communication becomes so neutered and filtered and fearful that little is said until the vitriol pours out when the challenger to that prevailing dehumanizing faux-civility is attacked....................or maybe I am just overanalysing all of it :)

so yes let's question and critique each other and yes let's get rid of the few blatant trolls/genuine nazi's/racists/nasty people out there but let's not stifle debate, let's not immediately label people who don't automatically hold 100% to the politically correct view of the day and let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a discussion forum where hopefully opinions will differ and no one will be brow-beaten into submitting to some kind of morally acceptable ethos dictated by one ideology alone, the western faux-liberal media-driven guilt-ridden formally-educated ideology, for my sins I agree with much of it but see a lot of hypcrasy therein and I find a lot of it incredibly boring and small-minded yet pompous at the same time - worst of all, if it were that great, it wouldn't have created such a hate-filled intolerant sheep-minded lot of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've no problem with less than PC (if that's the right word) views at all once they're reasonably supported - it's rare here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Mixed race couples hmm.. I see a lot of raging mixed race kids with an AWOL father whether mammy just wanted her vision of a designer baby or da was never likely to hang around anyhow; curiosly predominantly white/black .. but few mixed race couples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Genetically mixing of races is a good thing because it gets rid of a lot of very dangerous recessive diseases which run in certain ethnic groups for example cystic fibrosis in Irish people, thalassaemia in asian people etc. the only reason such recessive traits affect people is because they do not have children outside thrir ethnic group. Recessive diseases are almose unheard of in mixed race children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Ethnic group? I wonder how many posters here are the product of Irish-Anglo, Irish-Scots, Irish-Welsh, and Irish-any other ethnic group that has migrated to Ireland over the last several centuries. Truth is, people have always mixed. The Irish people are product of this mixture, as are the English, the French, and so on.

And, let's not throw in religion to further complicate the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^maybe keeping it simple you can divide people into white, black, brown, yellow and those somewhere in between...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mixed race? There is no such thing as a pure race after two million years (at least) of human evolution. Its a dogma to think theres anything other than superficial differences between any race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Why would it matter to anyone what you agree with regarding their personal lives?
    So, you believe ethnic groups should be kept separated? That's a valid point, now, is it, that you 'believe' it?
    I have seen problems in many relationships, including same race ones. Should I therefore 'believe' that people of the same ethnicity shouldn't have relationships?
    Children of any colour can feel isolated, or polarised, due to bullying of any nature. Good parents, good friends and a decent society will look out for that, no matter what the colour of their skin.

The only true hazard I see ahead specifically for mixed race children, is gobshytes who spout such nonsense but thankfully the vast majority of society could not give a flying fuk what colour a kid is, and the ever dwindling minority of 'believers' in racist ideology are to be ignored or even pitied for their moronic outlooks and 'beliefs'.

The future is bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onedaysoon

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Magill wrote: »
    I'd imagine the only reason you get some people staring is because its just not very common here yet.... imagine a white guy walking down the road with a black girl in say... kenya... don't you think everyone would stare ? Much more so than your experiencing. Just have to get used to it until everyone else has.

I actually dated a girl in Kenya and whenever we walked around it was fuckin rubberneck city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Mixed race? There is no such thing as a pure race after two million years (at least) of human evolution. Its a dogma to think theres anything other than superficial differences between any race.

I'd compare it more to like how dogs have different breeds so do humans. We are not all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

OP: Just go for it!!
    If you're good together, there's no point in letting worries about someone else's weird notions put you off.

You'll always get the odd parochial eegit who would probably be uncomfortable with dating anyone who wasn't their cousin, but thankfully, they're relatively few and far between and can easily be identified by their knuckle dragging and weird looking kids!

life's way too short to be worried about how a very small minority of racist weirdos think!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dudess - the Racistfinder General

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I would have no problem letting my daughter date any guy once he was a decent chap with good intentions. If he was bright yellow with 4 eyes even,

Now on the other hand if it was some gouger I would have a problem with that be him black yellow or pink.

Strip that skin off and you cant see the difference really can you? Or show me a black mans skeleton beside a white mans I wouldnt know the difference would you?
    Its just a top coating !;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If you like her and she likes you- then nobody's opinion is important. Don't pass up something just because you're concerned about what other people may think.

Whether you're black or white doesn't make an iota of difference. You should be judged on the person that you are and the things that you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

OP if she likes you and you like her then go for it. So long as you treat eachother well and are happy together who cares what anyone else thinks.

And if she or anyone else rejects because of your skin colour the problem is theirs, not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jugger0 wrote: »
    I'd compare it more to like how dogs have different breeds so do humans. We are not all the same.

That's a very slippery grasp of genetics you have there.
    Look at a chihuaha, look at a saint bernard.
    Now try and find 2 people on this planet with anything like the same level of variation between them. The genetic differences between any 2 people would be more akin to the genetic difference between a yellow labrador and a chocolate labrador, a few aesthetic differences but not much else. We're one breed, not many.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Lovely, but not really a cool thing to do, tbh.

Best get rid of the link.;)

:eek:Anyone have time to download that piccy? PM me....

(rubs hands together gleefully and retires to bedroom with laptop and box of Cleanex:o)

Joke by the way :rolleyes:

Now try and find 2 people on this planet with anything like the same level of variation between them. The genetic differences between any 2 people would be more akin to the genetic difference between a yellow labrador and a chocolate labrador, a few aesthetic differences but not much else. We're one breed, not many.

Oh Weally?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Agento.T.o wrote: »
    Social construct is determined by Race Guess your White only Whites go around discussing how they don't even exist. O.P if your just an individual couple then happy to you but you may lead the way for the destruction of the White&Irish genotype in this country Would you be happy knowing that you where the first of many to have contributed to Irish Genocide?

Your statement contributes to genocide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I'm mixed race and have never been confused about my idenity and race, and neither have my children or any other mixed race person I know.

If anything, I find mixed race children to be more open and tolerant and informed of different cultures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OP, threat her right and everything will fall into place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭veloc123

My ex was a sprinter but I was only ever good at the egg and spoon.

It didn't work out.

I have mixed race parents my father was the 100 metres and my Mum was pakistani...never stopped me from running a restaurant...do you get it 'running' a restaurant....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I think its more than aesthetics, certain races have physical or intellectual advantages over others, its just "racist" to acknowledge any differences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I think its more than aesthetics, certain races have physical or intellectual advantages over others, its just "racist" to acknowledge any differences.

Find me one (peer reviewed, medically accepted) study to back that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Millicent wrote: »

The Olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The Olympics

In your imagination, what part of the Olympics shows how "certain races have physical or intellectual advantages over others"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm inclined to disagree with that.
    It may seem that way at a glance, but that doesn't make it so.

Take myself say, i grew up in a city, am reasonably well educated, i work in an office and so on. Then take someone who grew up in some obscure african village, basically no education (or very little) tends his animals and does whatever it is obscure african villagers do.
    Odds are physically i can't match him and intellectually he can't match me, but it's got nothing to do with race, or genetics. It's just down to the lives we live. I could do what he does, he could do what i do, more or less.
    It's like saying germans can speak german better than americans. Of course they can, but they don't have some in built language learning advantage over them. It's down to environment and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Olympics

When you're comparing two groups you compare their means. By definition, everyone at the Olympics is beyond normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

The Olympics

I've never read that study. Is it a long read?

I've never read that study. Is it a long read?
    Exhibit A :D

If my Irish son or daughter dated an African I would give them an ultimatum; either dump them, or be disowned.
    The Irish should mix with their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

If my Irish son or daughter dated an African I would give them an ultimatum; either dump them, or be disowned.

fk off Brit! :pac:

RichieC wrote: »
    fk off Brit! :pac:

You are mistaken.
    I am Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I hope they pick the African as that would b best for all concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

their all pink on the inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Keeping it in the family, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by Johnny Foreigner View Post

We need an influx of foreign DNA so we can finally rid ourselves of that inbred look and those particular inbred thoughts from your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Any update Jude??
    Go for it man!

You are mistaken.
    I am Irish.

:eek:sniffffffffffffffffff :eek: sniffffffffffffffffffffffffff

:rolleyes:"smells a troll in our midst.............. "

;)dont feed that troll people:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I find it hard to believe that people like you exist in the world. I'm going to choose to believe that you are trolling, otherwise I'll never be able to get out of bed ever again. That is a disgusting thing to say. Sounds like your son or daughter would be better off if you disowned them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

watna wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that people like you exist in the world. I'm going to choose to believe that you are trolling, otherwise I'll never be able to get out of bed ever again. That is a disgusting thing to say. Sounds like your son or daughter would be better off if you disowned them.

+1

Or better still, his children should disown him for been a bigot that will negatively impact their lives.

God help your children. You are raising them to be racist so how would they know any better because a lot of what they learn is from their parents and your socialising your children to be racist. There is alot of problems with mixing within your own race because our gene pool is small that is partially why you have many diseases here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Christ Johnny you already answered in this thread. This post served no other purpose than to troll.

Its such a shame to think that theres still this horrible, selfish, small minded attitude among some people. You would sacrifice your childs happiness so your racist ego wasnt dented!?

Advertisement