Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Change Your DNS

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Quick Topic as I was asked about DNS today

What is DNS?

DNS is what your router or computer uses to figure out what IP address relates to a website we as humans understand e.g. www.google.ie. The DNS server tells the computer what the IP address e.g. 209.85.143.94

Why change your DNS?

You can increase your speed on the internet as your computer can find a website faster. It WILL NOT increase your download speed. However some users on Eircom DNS have noticed speed increases when streaming on AppleTV. This may be due to cloud downloads which mean the router needs to find multiple files on different servers i.e. You need a fast DNS server

How Do I Change It?

Log into your router and change the DNS server (There are usually two, Primary and Secondary). Change both. The most popular are Google and OpenDNS:

Google:

OpenDNS:

Set one address to the primary and the other to the secondary. Order does not matter.

When finished you will have to reboot your router. Please note every computer connected to the router will now use this DNS server for all traffic. You can change the DNS on your computer individually, but this is not recommended on laptops. This is because the router automatically tells your PC what DNS server it is using and does the DNS on behalf of the PC. If you set the DNS manually on your computer, if your move e.g. A laptop it may not work on other networks.

As such I recommend changing the DNS servers on your router only.

Advertisement