Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defective ITouch White Screen What to do!

• 14-01-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, I have a 2 year old 64gb Itouch 3G. Recently the display went white. Resetting would not fix it. I sent it to a company in the UK for repair (www.iPodTouchAngels.co.uk), however they tell me the display processor is defective and they are unable to repair it. Apple tell me they will replace it like for like for a charge of €200. What bugs me is the device failing only after 2 years, it was well looked after and not abused. My music listening was primarily around Apple, as I played my music from the Itouch. My question is. are Apple products reliable, is it worth spending the €200 for a replacement or even the €400 on a new 4G device. Should I cut my losses and look at other devices.

Comments appreciated.

Jim.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

In Ireland, and the UK, all electronic goods have a two year warranty, even if the manufacturer states it's a one year one. If you've bought it within the 2 year period, you could try contact apple and state that and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In Ireland, and the UK, all electronic goods have a two year warranty, even if the manufacturer states it's a one year one. If you've bought it within the 2 year period, you could try contact apple and state that and hope for the best.

Would you care to quote the act of parliament or EU rule which mandates a two year warranty on electronic goods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

coylemj wrote: »
    Would you care to quote the act of parliament or EU rule which mandates a two year warranty on electronic goods?

Would MiniNukinfuts be talking about Directive 1999/44/EC?

Directive here - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0044:en:HTML

Irish act here - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html

Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999):
    The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery.

Would MiniNukinfuts be talking about Directive 1999/44/EC?

Directive here - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0044:en:HTML

Irish act here - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/si/0011.html

Yup, like my post. I has worked for my brother in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yup, like my post. I has worked for my brother in the past.

Did well considering the 2 year warranty part of the Directive was never implemented in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did well considering the 2 year warranty part of the Directive was never implemented in Ireland.

And the 2003 Irish Act quoted above only mentions 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Jemser33 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 2 year old 64gb Itouch 3G.

Whats all this about EU Product Warranty Directive OP states he has a 2 year old ipod touch :rolleyes:
    My question is. are Apple products reliable, is it worth spending the €200 for a replacement or even the €400 on a new 4G device. Should I cut my losses and look at other devices.
    The ipod and iphone are generally reliable once looked after, I fix iphones/ipods/etc and have never seen that problem in the 2 years doing so

Whats all this about EU Product Warranty Directive OP states he has a 2 year old ipod touch :rolleyes:

I said if it was under the 2 years. Just in case the OP was rounding up his time with the iPod

I agree with you Cathal, they are reliable, but you have to look after them, like any device really. I had a iPhone 3G for 2 and a half years with no problems. Then i gave it to a friend and he had the screen and the silent button broken within two weeks. :P The phone is still going strong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I said if it was under the 2 years. Just in case the OP was rounding up his time with the iPod

I agree with you Cathal, they are reliable, but you have to look after them, like any device really. I had a iPhone 3G for 2 and a half years with no problems. Then i gave it to a friend and he had the screen and the silent button broken within two weeks. :P The phone is still going strong though.

My mother is still using my 1st gen iPhone 5years on:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement