Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the most potent liquor LEGALLY available in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

what's the most potent liquor LEGALLY available in Ireland?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Probably the 90% ABV poitín they have at Celtic Whiskey.

There's no legal limit on alcohol strength.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Medical grade pure ethanol, although it is not safe to drink. It contains methanol which can be lethal to humans.

All high alcohol spirits are potentially dangerous. The higher the ethanol level the greater chance methanol will be produced which is why illegal distilling of absinthe/moonshine etc got the reputation for causing death or blindness.

And of course high alcohol spirits are not good for your digestive system and regular u diluted consumption can cause damage to your stomach and liver.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is Absinthe legal here these days? Some of that stuff is over 90%!!

Nick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

yoyo wrote: »
    Is Absinthe legal here these days? Some of that stuff is over 90%!!

Nick

Yes, and available in most good off licences. Never seen one over 90% though.

Yes, and available in most good off licences. Never seen one over 90% though.

Had a taste of some Black Absinthe, was 95% vol. I think it was baught in portugal although Absinthe can be that strength so it may be possible to get over here!

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Had a taste of some Black Absinthe, was 95% vol. I think it was baught in portugal although Absinthe can be that strength so it may be possible to get over here!

Nick

I'm not sure if that's real absinthe and is probably just very strong alcohol with a bit of dye and flavourings thrown in. I also can't imagine there is much pleasure to be had in such a spirit

I'm not sure if that's real absinthe and is probably just very strong alcohol with a bit of dye and flavourings thrown in. I also can't imagine there is much pleasure to be had in such a spirit

It had a real licourice taste and actually was quite nice, until it went down! It was definately called Black Absinthe, came in a naggin size bottle which I think is still rather full! Rocket fuel but interesting to taste all the same. I only had a small amount, prob slightly less a shot

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

"absinthe" is legal in Ireland but the hallucinogenic ingredient wormwood is not so all you're really getting is a strong flavoured spirit at an inflated price

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

BeerNut wrote: »
    Probably the 90% ABV poitín they have at Celtic Whiskey.

Had some of that once. Bit pointless as a drink really, not a great taste and just blows you away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had some of that once. Bit pointless as a drink really, not a great taste and just blows you away.

Did you drink it with water?

The tasting notes on the Celtic Whiskey website sound nice, and if it won a silver medal it can't be all that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

irish_goat wrote: »
    Did you drink it with water?

The tasting notes on the Celtic Whiskey website sound nice, and if it won a silver medal it can't be all that bad.

Yeah loads of water in it. But still didn't taste great. That's just my opinion I'm sure other people may enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Ronan cork wrote: »
    "absinthe" is legal in Ireland but the hallucinogenic ingredient wormwood is not so all you're really getting is a strong flavoured spirit at an inflated price

Wormwood isn't an hallucinogen, that's just popular myth.
    It's also not banned, the EU just sets the maximum amount of thujone (a chemical in wormwood) any food stuff can contain.

That's probably why certain brands of absinthe wouldn't be available, say, outside of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

any idea what strength poitín was,or did it vary a lot around the country,not that it would have been measured i guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

A couple of years ago when i was in Bolivia, you could buy 96% alcohol, it was what the miners drank when they were playing with dynamite & chewing coca leaves..fun combinations!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Medical grade pure ethanol, although it is not safe to drink. It contains methanol which can be lethal to humans.

Its pure ethanol, the methanol is just myth. But you have to apply for a license to used and need a secure facility to hold to and unless you a research/commercial labs you will have little chance of getting to access to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

well that's poitín for you, commercial or illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it has methanol then its not pure ethanol!
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Yes, and the physical limit for normal distillation is ~96%. It can be gotten past this by chemical 'drying', so you can get lab grade ethanol which is 99%+ but it should not be drank as it is typically dried using benzene or other toxic substances. When opened in air it draws in moisture and dilutes itself back down anyways.

In the US some states have restrictions on high strength stuff, everclear being a popular 95% vodka there, this is partially why myths/rumours start here.
    The higher the ethanol level the greater chance methanol will be produced which is why illegal distilling of absinthe/moonshine etc got the reputation for causing death or blindness.
    Methanol is created during fermentation, not distillation, beer & beer have methanol in them, if you distill wine you can separate out the methanol to a good extent so 1 unit of alcohol of wine should have more methanol than 1 unit of alcohol of brandy made from the same wine.

Most commercial vodkas are distilled in fractionating stills past 90% and then diluted back down. When you use a fractionating column you can separate out the alcohols easier, so in fact the higher the ethanol the easier it would have been to remove the methanol at the start (which anybody with sense will do). This is why a well distilled vodka will typically have far less methanol than a brandy would.

The reputation of blindness from illegal alcohol is since criminal gangs typically steal alcohol for industrial use, isopropanol or methanol, then they rebottle and sell as vodka. I have searched a lot and have never once found a case of somebody going blind from illegal alcohol which was made from normal sources (fermented grain/fruit/sugar), it is invariably industrial alcohols. Even if it is poorly made there is no extra methanol in it than the original brew/wash contained. The only real way to blind yourself at home would be to make a massive batch of wine/cider and carefully separate out the methanol at the start in a fractionating still and drink it.

Hobby distillers use sugar to ferment partially because it only contains bare trace amounts of methanol. A glass of unfermented apple juice would contain far more methanol than gallons of poorly distilled sugar-vodka.
    morcheen k wrote: »
    any idea what strength poitín was,or did it vary a lot around the country,not that it would have been measured i guess :)
    I would estimate the strongest I tasted was about 60%, since it is often so vile some presume it is higher. I gave some 95% stuff to an old guy who gave it to a seasoned poitin drinker who couldn't believe how strong it was. Most poitin is probably distilled twice, a 10% wash distilled twice will get to about 60-70%, depending on when you make cuts.

Like cocaine poitin would be diluted/cut along the supply chain too, I have tasted poitin that was probably 30-35% before.

Most hobby distillers dilute from 95% back down to 40-60%. One advantage of 95% stuff is that it does not dilute your mixer down.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭morcheen k

I would estimate the strongest I tasted was about 60%, since it is often so vile some presume it is higher. I gave some 95% stuff to an old guy who gave it to a seasoned poitin drinker who couldn't believe how strong it was. Most poitin is probably distilled twice, a 10% wash distilled twice will get to about 60-70%, depending on when you make cuts.

Like cocaine poitin would be diluted/cut along the supply chain too, I have tasted poitin that was probably 30-35% before.

Most hobby distillers dilute from 95% back down to 40-60%. One advantage of 95% stuff is that it does not dilute your mixer down.[/QUOTE]

i had about 1/2 a bottle of poitin my old man brought back from Galway about 25 years ago.i gave it to an old jamaican boy,after i had a small drop :eek::eek: he mentioned how strong it was and asked for more :D i remember my grandads always kept some for the cattle,to give them a 'clear out' if they were not well .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

Everyone here seems to be on top of their chemistry ... I'm a chemist. But I'm not talking about lab grade ethanol or methanol which i use on a very regular basis ... Iwas referring to actuall drinks

Advertisement