Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone suggest pubs in Navan?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am arranging a hen night in Feb for my pal and we are going to be around Navan on the Saturday night and I would love some suggestions on where to go as none of us are from there. There will be about 15 of us, all late 20's, early 30's and we would like to do a mini pub crawl(3/4 bars?) and end in a disco bar or club? We would like lively places with an older crowd. Also what would be a good club to end the night in, or would we be better staying in a late bar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

snowdrop24 wrote: »
    ... or would we be better staying in a late bar?

TBH you would be better off going to a different town! I lived in Navan for years and couldn't wait to get out of the place. It's a hole. Sorry.

Swords would be better, or Dublin city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ryan's is a good spot, we used to go there and then on to the Palace bar for a late drink, the Palace also offers a niteclub if that's what you're after. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Bermingham's is a good spot. A bit small, but great atmosphere. Get in early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Ryans pub followed by the Palace nightclub. You'll pass one or two pubs on your way. And if you're staying over in the Newgrange you can finish the night in the residents bar which is about 30 seconds from the Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ryan's > Knights > Palace Bar (Piano Bar) > Palace night club.

Sorted.

Don't mind the negative posts, while there might be better places than Navan to go out I've always had a great night when I went out there.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    Ryan's > Knights > Palace Bar (Piano Bar) > Palace night club.

Sorted.

Don't mind the negative posts, while there might be better places than Navan to go out I've always had a great night when I went out there.

Knight's has been closed a good while ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Try Beggys, Berminghams, the Palace piano bar and then go upstairs for the niteclub - you'll have a great night!

bladespin wrote: »
    Knight's has been closed a good while ;)

Whats the one down past the solar on the same side of the road called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

beggys

• Registered Users Posts: 10 snowdrop24

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, they are really helpfull. We will keep an eye out for the bars mentioned and I contacted the Palace and they are doing us a little deal and a reserved area, so all is good! :) I'm sure we'll have a ball, I believe that its the crowd you are with that makes a night, more so than location! And as they say far way hills are greener! You always have a great time away from home!

While I'm at it, anyone got a suggestion of a nice restaurant in Navan that will cater for a group of 20 and that may give us a good deal per head (or a free drink always goes down well!) Thanks

• Advertisement

Restauraunts, Copper and spices, the Loft or even the good old China garden, all highly recommended. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Zuichini's in blackcaste is nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

+1 On Beggy's
    Lovely pub, great atmosphere.
    Also the Lodge on Flower Hill is a good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Roots-Sinead

Hi there,
    Have lots of friends in the age group you're speaking of so here's what the consesus is.
    If you want to do a pub crawl start off in Rowley's bar which is the bar within the Newgrange Hotel. Not sure where you're staying but it's as good a place as any to start as there's always a bit of life in it, during the early evenings. A lot of other pubs are very quiet until the night life kicks off if you know what I mean.
    After that take a short stroll across the road to the Russell or Copper and Spices for something to eat. Carmel is Copper & Spices is lovely and if you mention to her about the event she may be able to do something for you.
    Following an early dinner - oh, C&S have an Early Bird menu - head directly across the road to Birmingham's {locally known as Mick's or Marmion's}. It was listed in Turtle Bunbury's book on 'Disappearing Irish Pubs' and is one of the most authentic traditional Irish pubs you'll find in Co. Meath. Coupled with the fact there's usually live music on, it's a great spot. If you get there early enough, you'll have plenty of room and then you can move on as it fills up.
    It's just a short stroll back down Ludlow Street and into Bridge Street to Beggy's Bar. It's a great spot and there's always live music. Stephen the owner actually used to be one of the musician's who jammed in Birmingham's in years past.
    Finish your night in the Palace in either the nightclub or Piano bar which is also open 'til late.
    The nice thing about the above list is that if you're in heels, it's all manageable. I hate the totter down the hill from the Market Square into Ludlow Street for the Palace, if you're coming from Ryan's. After a few red lemonades ;) it's not the easiest in hee-highlers!
    You'll find all of the above on Facebook and if you call them, they'll all be able to arrange a reserved spot for you - bar Birmingham's. Some things are just better the old ways :)
    Have a ball
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Some good suggestions pub wise here. I don't personally like Ryans but for a large group it can be perfect as it's a big pub with a lot of space. Rowley's similar, get there early enough you can take one of the corners at the window over. It's almost like a mini private room them.

Briminghams is definitely unique and worth a visit but it's also very small (part of it's charm) and it won't take many others in there with you to make it feel cramped. That said swing in for one, the locals are all very friendly!

Beggy's is another top spot and usually lively at the weekend but stick to the lounge if you're in big numbers.

Honourable mention goes to Smiths on the square if you have a lot of smokers. The beer garden is huge. But don't hold the bar staffs attitude against the rest of us in the trade!

The Palace is the only viable option for a nightclub. The solar is a younger crowds club (putting it politely) and as much as I love it SwanLane is just too far out of the way and crowds can be hit n miss.

Your only chance of a late drink after the club is residents bars. The ardboyne is out of the way and unless you're staying there you have no chance.
    The newgrange is across from the palace and depending on who is night porter and the current relationship between the hotel and the authorities their level of strictness varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Some good suggestions pub wise here. I don't personally like Ryans but for a large group it can be perfect as it's a big pub with a lot of space. Rowley's similar, get there early enough you can take one of the corners at the window over. It's almost like a mini private room them.

Briminghams is definitely unique and worth a visit but it's also very small (part of it's charm) and it won't take many others in there with you to make it feel cramped. That said swing in for one, the locals are all very friendly!

Beggy's is another top spot and usually lively at the weekend but stick to the lounge if you're in big numbers.

Honourable mention goes to Smiths on the square if you have a lot of smokers. The beer garden is huge. But don't hold the bar staffs attitude against the rest of us in the trade!

The Palace is the only viable option for a nightclub. The solar is a younger crowds club (putting it politely) and as much as I love it SwanLane is just too far out of the way and crowds can be hit n miss.

Your only chance of a late drink after the club is residents bars. The ardboyne is out of the way and unless you're staying there you have no chance.
    The newgrange is across from the palace and depending on who is night porter and the current relationship between the hotel and the authorities their level of strictness varies.

+1 for Smiths. Great pint and a great selection of 'fancy' beers. Beer garden is great.

Where's SwanLane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The nightclub in the Ardboyne hotel, out the Dublin road. Does live music now, getting decent bands in.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I'd also drop into THE ROYAL it can be very good atmosphere, usually has live music on a Saturday night, also the crowd in there would generally be a bit older mostly late twenties early thirties.

Advertisement