Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Its always a bit ironic looking at a survival or bushcraft video on youtube made by some portly fella whose next survival situation will almost certainly be whether or not his insurance will cover the triple bypass. To a certain extent, we all rely first on our skills, and secondly our tools, but many people forget that the most powerful tool we have is our body. In fact keeping that going is the whole point of the operation.

Myself I do a couple dozen chinups, weights, and a bit of boxing, before jogging a couple of miles to the ocean to swim, then jogging back again for breakfast. Cardio, resistance training, and cold weather acclimitisation combined.

What do you do to keep fit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Boxed anddid karate for years but now run, hike and lift weights. Must admit i have been slacking a bit but getting back to normal now. Plannin a hike in sligo next month wit the lads so plenty of runnin happening preppin for that

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its always a bit ironic looking at a survival or bushcraft video on youtube made by some portly fella whose next survival situation will almost certainly be whether or not his insurance will cover the triple bypass. To a certain extent, we all rely first on our skills, and secondly our tools, but many people forget that the most powerful tool we have is our body. In fact keeping that going is the whole point of the operation.

Myself I do a couple dozen chinups, weights, and a bit of boxing, before jogging a couple of miles to the ocean to swim, then jogging back again for breakfast. Cardio, resistance training, and cold weather acclimitisation combined.

What do you do to keep fit?

i am having a heart attack just thinking about that...:P

but seriously I agree, and am working hard to get back in shape. Lost two stone, swam every day over Christmas, starting to get back into walking.

Have a plan for a bit of slow cadence weight exercise, but not started yet. (well practising with a fork:rolleyes:)

Ditching TV for survival gardening is another help.

But then I could view myself as having an exceptionally well stored emergency survival calorie allowance, take it with me everywhere I go, in fact never leave home without it...:o

Well done on the 2 stone, not an easy task!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

what I do for regular exercise is, cycling, walking and gardening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I would almost qualify for the fat dude in the first post. I have always had the build of a prop forward and unfortunately the metabalism of a sloth and the appetite of a lion.

Even in my prime army service a weeks holiday would usually mean at least half a stone gained.

Looks can be deceiving though as I am actually quite fit despite being 22 stone. I play rugby, I cycle quite a lot especially in summer when I am out in my VW camper. Put a pack on my back and show me a hill and I will tab up and down all day.

My main program is circuit training that I do in the back garden. I have markers at 10, 20 and 30 meters and run to each and back with a pause to perform a exercise like press up's, squats, sit ups and star jumps or bastards. I start with 20 reps and lower by 1 each rep.

I will retire from sport this year as I will hit 40 soon, I am trying to figure a plan to lose 6 stone :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Since I quit smoking 10 months ago, I've been working on getting my fitness back up to scratch.
    Currently I do 3 walks a day with my dog (I have always found that your dog is the best training buddy you could ever have)
    2 x ten minute power walks (approx 2km).
    1 x 5km power walk + circuit training.

Hopefully, by the summer herself will have gotten over her fear of getting into the car, then we will start hiking. (which I used to love)

Also, on any trip to my parents, I usually spend ~6hr chainsawing fallen/felled/dead tree's for firewood storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cut and split wood for the Summer.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Since I quit smoking 10 months ago, I've been working on getting my fitness back up to scratch.
    Currently I do 3 walks a day with my dog (I have always found that your dog is the best training buddy you could ever have)
    2 x ten minute power walks (approx 2km).
    1 x 5km power walk + circuit training.

Hopefully, by the summer herself will have gotten over her fear of getting into the car, then we will start hiking. (which I used to love)

Also, on any trip to my parents, I usually spend ~6hr chainsawing fallen/felled/dead tree's for firewood storage.

do it with a bow saw!!, that is exercise :D

CamperMan wrote: »

Fact!! Wonder can old style crosscut saws still be got?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

When your 5"3' and 65kg, chainsawing is work! :cool:

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Fact!! Wonder can old style crosscut saws still be got?

like this?

if so, I have seen the odd one for sale in the second hand shops here in Germany

crosscut3.JPG

but just think of all that pollution your breathing in and worst.. all that noise

Here is a poor US survivalist who proves how important fitness is. He packed up his BOB and went hiking on family land, he only got 1/4 mile until he had to give up and make camp :D

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1684160#p1684160

The very one!:D.Jeeze I havent seen one of those in W Germany in decades.If you see one again let me know ASAP.Be in the market for one,if the fuel ever goes out for chainsaws etc.Can still cut with that lad.

like this?

if so, I have seen the odd one for sale in the second hand shops here in Germany

crosscut3.JPG

Get a saw that suits your build.Nothing worse than too much or too little saw.:D

The very one!:D.Jeeze I havent seen one of those in W Germany in decades.If you see one again let me know ASAP.Be in the market for one,if the fuel ever goes out for chainsaws etc.Can still cut with that lad.

I am over in the East where people still pull food around in hand carts... :)

I have picked up some old hand tools from the second hand shops, things like hand drills (great if you have no power and the battery is dead in your cordless drill)

1982931-738254-old-hand-drill-on-bright-background.jpg

old bow saw (for decoration, but is still functional)

5221.jpg,

(images taken from the web)

These old crosscut saws are very big... it would probably cost a bit for postage...

However, I will keep an eye open for one

A bow saw like that is actually easy enough to make

A bow saw like that is actually easy enough to make

the one I got cost me €1..., the old hand drill also cost €1

Those hand drills will be 1st class well made machines that will last generations.Even old East German made stuff like this has better quality in it than some stuff from China these days.
    The bow saw,just about every old farmer has one of those in his wood shed,next to the Sthil chainsaw.:D

On the fitness side of things.
    I'd say by week three post SHTF.We are all going to be alot thinner and fitter anyway.
    The stress of leaving the old world behind,the actual fact of having to do an unprecedented workload per day,and proably not getting much sleep,or going back to the old way of sleep that our ancestors had.[Of going to bed around sundown,sleeping to midnight 1or 2AM and then getting up to do somthing,and then going back for second sleep until dawn.]As well as the psychological trauma,and rather bland diet,is going to seriously detox, thinand shape us.

[Quote=CamperMan[/QUOTE]

the one I got cost me €1..., the old hand drill also cost €1[/Quote]
    Nice one! If your ever coming back over in the car you would do well to grab a few of them and bring them over here, at that price im sure you would get rid of quite a few and make a small profit, could go towards some of the fuel cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

On the fitness side of things.
    I'd say by week three post SHTF.We are all going to be alot thinner and fitter anyway.
    Is that not a bit like saying you'll get insurance three weeks after your house burns down.

Well,put it like this..I doubt very much we'll need any gym memberships or treadmills or fad diets by then.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's true, but I'd rather be getting fit and strong and deal with associated recovery while calories and protein availability weren't an issue. :)

On the OP: I do a fair bit of exercise. I'm a professional Muay Thai fighter when I'm finished with the day job. The fighting training is fairly varied so I've a good mix of fitness and strength (for my size - it's all done by weight category).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

but just think of all that pollution your breathing in and worst.. all that noise

feck it the pollution of an old chainsaw vs new is unreal. running one from the early 80's for a few minutes and i can taste the unburnt petrol off it. even when it's supposed to be tuned. new one with a bit of a breeze and facing the right way hardly even smell the thing

i'd say you could run an american v8 with 2-speed automatic gearbox off the fumes from some of the old ones

what about the noise!!!

it's feckin annoying... shattering the silence!

eth0 wrote: »
    feck it the pollution of an old chainsaw vs new is unreal. running one from the early 80's for a few minutes and i can taste the unburnt petrol off it. even when it's supposed to be tuned. new one with a bit of a breeze and facing the right way hardly even smell the thing

i'd say you could run an american v8 with 2-speed automatic gearbox off the fumes from some of the old ones

Seeing that no one has developed a micro petrol engine with an effective internal oiling system that weighs the same as a two stroke,and works at extreme angles.We are stuck with them..
    Much better built machines tho the old ones.They belived in using metal where it counted not plastic.Alot easier to repair or improv parts on than the new fangled yokes.Buy a STHIL and you wont ever need another saw.

Rather be deaf and warm,than freezing and enjoying the silence.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

what about the noise!!!

it's feckin annoying... shattering the silence!

A pair of decent ear muffs does the job for me.
    Seeing that no one has developed a micro petrol engine with an effective internal oiling system that weighs the same as a two stroke,and works at extreme angles.We are stuck with them..
    Much better built machines tho the old ones.They belived in using metal where it counted not plastic.Alot easier to repair or improv parts on than the new fangled yokes.Buy a STHIL and you wont ever need another saw.

Rather be deaf and warm,than freezing and enjoying the silence.:D

Just only took apart a 028 AV today, which needs a new exhaust. I have a replacement that isn't exactly the right one, although it fits on the engine it seems impossible to get the front part of the exhaust on. Gave the ould carburettor a bit of a clean (which was made in Ireland in 1978 when things were still made in Ireland). I have a new 261 as well and just looking at the drawings since I have no reason to go dismantling it doesn't seem overly complicated.

All the exhaust including my new one I can find are of this type http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-028AV-Super-Muffler-Assembly-028-AV-1118-140-0601-T28-/380403223628?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item5891cc8c4c

but the one I'm really after has a bolt going in the side of it. real hard to find this shoite and the stihl dealer has been completely useless in trying to source one. If I could sort this problem I might sell it and hold onto the ould Husqvarna 44 (or is it 24 the label is faded) from '82 which has way more plastic but has somehow given less trouble and fared better than the 028

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Khannie wrote: »
    That's true, but I'd rather be getting fit and strong and deal with associated recovery while calories and protein availability weren't an issue. :)
    Indeed, plus there are a whole host of heath issues associated with rapid weight loss, not least of which is toxic shock as unpleasant things stored in fat reserves get deposited all at once, potential organ failure, and the onset of something approaching dementia while the body tries to deal with it. If you aren't regularly exercising before a major disaster, you sure aren't going to suddenly turn into batman afterwards.

Its a bit like that Stephen King - Dark Tower quote, where the hero is looking at modern police in New York for the first time, and marvelling at the gleaming, perfectly maintained guns constrasted with the overweight officers themselves. Why would a man take such care of his weapon while ignoring the weapon that is his body, or words to that effect.

In the event of a serious disaster, physical fitness is going to be a serious filter in deciding who gets through, never mind the simple fact that it makes sense to stay healthy anyway even if nothing ever happens. Eat good food, no sugary snacks or drinks, exercise once a day for half an hour minimum, lay off the fags and booze, you'll do a lot better than 99% of the population.

eth0 wrote: »
    A
    J
    but the one I'm really after has a bolt going in the side of it. real hard to find this shoite and the stihl dealer has been completely useless in trying to source one. If I could sort this problem I might sell it and hold onto the ould Husqvarna 44 (or is it 24 the label is faded) from '82 which has way more plastic but has somehow given less trouble and fared better than the 028

Trouble is with Sthil is the company recycles the model numbers every decade or so.My 048 is an 80s model and there is a late 90 model which is completly different in design.Mine wont accept newer guide bars.:mad:
    I had an 80s 028 abd I literally wore it out in about 20 years of hard work,as when I bought it it was 2nd hand already.
    Found you are better off getting athe biggest saw you can handle and use it for whatever cutting jobs you need.That way the saw is strained less.I have betimes huge trunks and trees that need to be cut up ,and a 070 would be ideal.But even for me that is alot of weight to fling around on a day of wood cutting ,splitting and hauling.So I find the mid to end 40 seris is fine for me.

• Advertisement

Getting back on topic my misses picked up a Zumba fitness game for the xbox kinect. She made me do a 20 minute beginners work out yesterday:o 20 minutes turns into 40 as if you dont do the moves correctly as it will not advance and 40 minutes feels like an hour of of hard labour.

Its actually a decent little workout:o

Advertisement