Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling in damaged hedging

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Unfortunately on a few occasions over the past few years, children have taken to diving in to my front garden hedge.!!!!! Had to pretty much lift a kid out of it on New Years Eve :mad::mad::mad:
    Its very leafy and not at all dense so has become damaged and there are now a few thin bits and even gaps and holes.

Is there a kind of hedge we can get to fill gaps (climbing, spreading type of hedge/plant)
    Also something robust and not particularly comfortable for hedge divers would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Pyracantha would be your best bet there mate. Once established fast growing and can be trained into a hedge. Also has 2 inch spikes on it to deter bush divers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Just on a safety note...if you do put something in with large spikes like suggested, make sure the local kids know as if they have a habit of dumping into the hedge they may not notice that you have put something new in. If they were to lose an eye or something, you could be liable.

Do you know what the orginal hedge is?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Hi - thanks to both above for your replies.
    No I don't know what the original hedge is - just as I say very leafy and not at all robust. It predates our time in this house.

I will look into the plant suggested. Thanks for the idea. Obviously a fine line to balance between making further hedge diving seem like not a good idea, and on the other hand not turning the front wire into a mini barbed wire Alcatraz...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Just on a safety note...if you do put something in with large spikes like suggested, make sure the local kids know as if they have a habit of dumping into the hedge they may not notice that you have put something new in. If they were to lose an eye or something, you could be liable.

Do you know what the orginal hedge is?

How could you be liable,if someone is tresspassing on your property or in you're garden and also damaging it??

If thats the case,then if a kid gets up on you're wall and falls then he/she can sue you,or if then climb up on you're driveway gate and they fall,they can sue you???

I find that hard to believe?:confused:

It's the trespassers act, if you have something on your land that you know could cause injury and some gets injured than you are liable...that's why those dangergous dogs signs are null in void as well as those spikes some people put on their walls.

Ask your girlfriend if she ever had Hayden for arboriculture, I'm sure she would have covered it.

• Advertisement

It's the trespassers act, if you have something on your land that you know could cause injury and some gets injured than you are liable...that's why those dangergous dogs signs are null in void as well as those spikes some people put on their walls.

Ask your girlfriend if she ever had Hayden for arboriculture, I'm sure she would have covered it.

So if a kid comes onto my property and into my garden,runs a muck in it,then trips over a small hedge row,plant/bush or the likes of a tree stump or flower pot,then that kids family can sue me???

WTF like????:eek::mad:

If they fall over something like a bush then no not really but if you leave, lets say a slurry pit, uncovered and they fall in or if you put up a spikes/broken glass, something that you know is an actual risk then yes.

It could be a long strech with the OP putting in a spiky hedge but still it could be argued that he knew they were jumping in his hedge and then he put a hedge with spikes. Little timmy jumps in the hedge the next day and loses an eye... in this age of compensation you can't be too carefull.

What I do is scream at the children if they go in my garden but I spend a lot of money on my plants...could care less about their wellfare.

If they fall over something like a bush then no not really but if you leave, lets say a slurry pit, uncovered and they fall in or if you put up a spikes/broken glass, something that you know is an actual risk then yes.

It could be a long strech with the OP putting in a spiky hedge but still it could be argued that he knew they were jumping in his hedge and then he put a hedge with spikes. Little timmy jumps in the hedge the next day and loses an eye... in this age of compensation you can't be too carefull.

What I do is scream at the children if they go in my garden but I spend a lot of money on my plants...could care less about their wellfare.

Frog march the little brats down to their parents home and inform and show the parents of the damage to the hedge/garden.If the parents are any sort of propper parents,then they will tell the kids to cop on and not to go near the garden/house again.

Then plant a nice spikey hedge.

Paddy / Opiohagan -

I have been down to some parents.
    A lot of the damage is done during the day when we're out so can't see who is responsible.
    Also we have older kids also hanging around who I wouldn't stand much hope of divulging their parents' names and addresses - and who actually enjoy confrontation.

Pain in the behind.

patg wrote: »
    Pain in the behind.

......in the little brats arses when they next jump into the hedge and suddenly realize that theres large prickles and thornes there.;):eek::D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I just planted a row of pyracantha for the very same reason. you think i am warning the local teenagers. not a chance. they can learn the hard way. I was a former hedge diver in my youth and we aren't that stupid. you size up the hedge before you jump into it. leylandi were the best fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rosa Rugosa. Vigorous, pretty and very, very prickly - but its obvious there are prickles!

Which of the above:
    - grows quickest;
    - can be planted to take root now/soon;
    - will intertwine and combine with the existing hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

patg wrote: »
    Unfortunately on a few occasions over the past few years, children have taken to diving in to my front garden hedge.!!!!! Had to pretty much lift a kid out of it on New Years Eve :mad::mad::mad:

hahaha :D

Plant Holly in it, that'll scare them away and will stand up to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Nice to see so much intolerance and negativity towards a trivial and temporary problem.

OP - you are liable for your own plants and a public duty to keep in good order. The situation is getting out of control that Dublin Councils are planning to introduce more stricter controls on suitable plants and maintenance for property owners.

You should also be aware that injury can be cause dwithout tresspassing. It's like placing glass on wall, if a child needs to retrieve a football, expect to find yourself before a court if any injuries are suffered.

A bit more tolerance and common sense afterall there's plenty of choice.

Advertisement