Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scuba surfing

Options
  • 14-01-2012 1:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 5-4-3mm (5 on torso, 4 on legs, 3 on arms) wetsuit I use for scuba diving.

I was gonna take a few surf lessons in 19 degrees water next week.

Do you reckon it would be okay to use a suit designed for scuba? Probably not much difference but just thought there might be an issue with flexibility of the material around shoulders (for paddling) or something like that !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Surf schools usually supply a wetsuit to use during lessons.

Water at 19c will be lovely and warm so your 5/4 wetsuit will be too much! You prob wont be able to wear it purely because of heat. Of course 19f would be ice(-7c) so I'm presuming thats not what you'll be surfing in!

If you are worried about flexibility just put the suit on and see if you can easily swing your arms around. If you can you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevendcarroll

Surfed every day for 2 months in a 6.5 Scuba suit! Its a bit tiring on the arms because they're not really designed to go above sholder level but otherwise its fine! I'd choose that over a rented suit any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If it is 19 C then you will hardly need a suit at all, depending on wind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Slightly off topic but do many of you surf in the summer with Shortys, the proper legless and sleeveless suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Not so much legless or armless, but I regularly surf in a shortie, which is a 2mm/1mm suit with short legs (cut off above the knee) and short arms (cut off above the elbow). So much freer, it really s great. The odd time I might put on a rashie underneath but usually because of neck chaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Cool, was thinking of getting one now as they're dead cheap. I usually go in this weather without a hood so might be able to get away with wearing a shorty in the summer. And sorry yes, just above the knee and elbow I meant before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i wear out a 2mm shortie sometimes in the summer, unless its sunny or more importantly not windy, it can be chilly but is a lot less restrictive.
    surfiing in board shorts is one of the nicest feelings in surfing, you're so free and seems so easy when used to a 5/3.... sweet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

That thread title was so promising... Thought it was a new form of surfing!!

Advertisement