Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ubuntu and drivers

Options
  • 14-01-2012 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Well at last all my parts arived today :D. Everything put together and working. Now i'm just wandering what the story is with updating drivers is when using ubuntu. Do i use the windows ones or what? I'll be getting windows in about a month, just using ubuntu as a free option now might stick with it if i like it. So what the story when i get windows? Do I wipe the system and start again?

thanks for any help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just install ubuntu and away you go. It will do a software update, with probably 100 or so updates, once it gets an internet connection. You won't need to do more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

im using a usb to boot ubuntu but when i go to install it it wont recognise the hard drive? It's an old hard drive from an my last pc but it's working and is recognised in the bios. know what the problem is here? also after i try to install i have to wipe the usb and put it back on or it wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

daz801 wrote: »
    im using a usb to boot ubuntu but when i go to install it it wont recognise the hard drive? It's an old hard drive from an my last pc but it's working and is recognised in the bios. know what the problem is here? also after i try to install i have to wipe the usb and put it back on or it wont work
    Might need to run GParted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

You can either repartition/format the disk while installing or using GParted during a live boot. Assuming you're not used to working with different filesystems, just be aware that you will most likely lose all data on the disk if you go ahead with this.

Secondly, 99% of the drivers you will get on CD with components are not worth a damn to you in Linux as they're Windows binaries.

Ubuntu (these days) is bundled with or has access to a wide range of native drivers. To be honest unless you game, I recommend abandoning Windows altogether. If you game, then dual boot the two & only use Windows for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

yeah i got it running there no bother the other day. yeah i plan on using linux until i get a good graphics card, then i'll get windows

• Advertisement
Advertisement