Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you love your town?

• 14-01-2012 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

OK i dont know if im allowed/supposed to make this thread here but im going to anyway. :D

So I was listening to this song and got a bit sentimental

There's something etched in my brain that makes me hate my hometown most of the time.. "theres nothing to do here, its boring" etc. And while that is the case there are loads of reasons why i do love where i live. Its all the small things.

The home brewed beer in a local bar, the reggae/rock/alternative/blues bands they bring in. The tree house my brothers,cousins and I built in our secret spot. The housing estate I always used to play rounders, 40-40 in. The smelly river with the shelter I wrote my name on 10 years ago. Going on cycle trips with friends and exploring places we werent supposed to be in. The team and clubs I'm a part of and of course the craic at bingo on thursdays :P

There's a lyric in the song "There'll be drinks on the house if your house burns down". The majority of people are really lovely and decent. Everyone knows you (though most of the time i prefer anonymity) but that means there's always a lot of support and the community has banded together and supported many causes that meant a great deal to the locals. Also, its always nice to get the odd salute walking down the road :pac:

I suppose its mostly the memories I have made here that could have been made anywhere. So long story short :p Do you love your town? Why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm from North Belfast. Do I love it? You must be fucking kidding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

What about Dublin then? Home is where you make it. I'm not necessarily talking about just hometowns. That was just in my case. Limerick is my home from home for the time being but I don't know it well enough to say much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Yup. Love Arklow. I like the idea of living in a big city, but the narrow streets and pokey alleys seem way more.. homely to me. Way less practical, and get on my nerves a lot (e.g., why can't we just have some bloody straight roads for a change!), but I do like how it just is..

Love the random fields in the middle of housing estates, love the abandoned buildings and inexplicable tunnels outside the town, amazing fun to explore. Dare I say it, I love the half finishedness of the place. Random swathes of land left undone, odd to see in a town that size. Love the shopping centre, even if it's killed a chunk of the mainstreet.

Love the Seabreeze festival, in all of it's oddness. Love how the town reacts to a robbery.

It's slightly too big for me to get the knowing everyone thing, but I like recognising a lot of people when just going out. When everyone's going "Oh, I'm from Dun Laoghaire/Swords/Wherever", I love to just be able to say "Yeah, I'm from Arklow".

And Tradewinds. Best gaddamn chips in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Celbridge is a sh1thole. But it's a sh1thole you'd want to be in. It's like Mila Kunis's sh1thole.

Celbridge is a sh1thole. But it's a sh1thole you'd want to be in. It's like Mila Kunis's sh1thole.

Both beautiful and inspiring words! Thanks for sharing :)

• Advertisement

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Both beautiful and inspiring words! Thanks for sharing :)

Cheers. That's a new gag I've been using in a routine. So far it's been getting a good response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Cawcheen wrote: »
    What about Dublin then? Home is where you make it. I'm not necessarily talking about just hometowns. That was just in my case. Limerick is my home from home for the time being but I don't know it well enough to say much about it.

I'm back and forth between the two all the time. I've some decent memories of Dublin, but the Dublin I remember more fondly is pre-Celtic Tiger, long gone now. If I left Ireland tomorrow and never managed to revisit Dublin or Belfast, the only thing I'd miss is friends and family who stayed behind, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Young ned of the hill

I love my wee town/Parish, Ballinscreen even though every one in knows the last time ye bared yer hole!! There nosey B**t***s but ye have to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't mind my own small village, but Ballaghaderreen is the greatest ****hole on this island. I actively avoid the place as much as is practically possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Waterfords a bit of a drab atm but I still love it.
    Its a lot of the people here that need a kick up the arse/kick in the teeth more then anything. Whinge whinge whinge whinge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My house is in my town and so the town is the location where all my stuff is. It's also the area outside my house that I am most familiar with. I rank it superior to other locations for these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Celbridge is not too bad of a town. It contains very little, but that said, the people are friendly (most are anyways) and if you're looking for something you'll most likely find in the town. If not, the next town, Maynooth. Where a handy college is situated, also it's on a bus route to town from the college.

There's negatives in every town, wheter it be litter or anti-social bdhaviour. Just try look on the bright side of things, even if you think your town is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Do I love birkenhead/Liverpool? Yes. do I love Dublin? .... I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Bahahahaha, what's with all the Celbridge representation? :p

I do love where I'm from, even if it's in the middle of nowhere. It's such a scenic place, with mountains and beaches right beside me. Not a huge fan of how isolated it is though.

I lived in Maynooth for most of the past few years, and it's lovely. Everyone's so friendly, and it's just a half hour from Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

No. No, I don't.

My own home is grand, but my town is literally home to nothing and nobody of any interest. I've a few friends in the area but very few of them are even from the town.
    The place is a mess, the people tend to be awful, and I want out.

I don't love my town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Arra 'tis grand, boring as shít but I've great friends here whom I've known since childhood and kept in good contact with since going to college. 99% of my family is also here. It's gotten fairly scummy here in recent years though which is the biggest draw on the town tbh. Nights out without any scumflict in the town are rare nowadays. Home is stability for me now, whereas Galway has plenty of it's highs and lows - but it is far more exciting!

Bahahahaha, what's with all the Celbridge representation? :p

Celbo pride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Not really!

Practically live in the middle of nowhere, but the nearest village is a shíthole just like most of Waterford! There isn't anything here for me, even the "city" is crap. I think Mahon Point shopping centre is even better quality than every single shop in Waterford. The place is full of crime lately too, it's gone to the dogs! Can't wait to get out of here again in September!

Truth be told my town has a zillion negatives to every positive but i like dwelling on the good things. I cant wait to go back to college, im slowly going insane here. I always enjoy coming home on the weekends though. I could never live here forever but at the same time I could never leave it and never look back. I have an awful grá for the place.

Oh, I forgot, this is a reason to hate my town too. Sums up young people my age around here. <_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I like my town, I think. :) Plenty of the people are annoying but they're easy enough to ignore, especially considering I don't even go to school in my town so that doesn't cause any extra hatred...hanging around it isn't the most boring of experiences, not exactly hugely exciting either but it's a grand way to spend a summer day - granted all we seem to do is plan ways to get out of town during summer :p. We also have a beach, which makes summers just about one thousand times better. Oh and the town itself and its surroundings is quite pretty, so randomly meeting up with friends and going for walks and chats are always quite nice.

If it was part of a better public transport network and there was more to do here on dull days, it'd be great. I would probably cry if I was told I had to live here for the rest of my life though...

Not sure whether I should be calling it a town or not either since it's more of a reasonably large village...If we're going to talk about the nearest actual town to me (and where I go to school)...absolute shithole sums it up best. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I don't so much live in a town as a massive estate with no amenities whatsoever 20 minutes outside of a town, and it's no fun. Living here is pretty much the reason I'm so desperate not to stay in Cork for college, because I don't think I could take another 3/4 years of this crappy, crappy bus service and ending up waiting around for my dad to pick me up after nights out, while everyone else is off getting taxis together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Nope. My home town is awful. I like Dublin, though, or at least, Trinity and the surrounding area. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yep, I love Tuam. It leaves so much to be desired but it has it's characters and music is huge here.

I lived in Caherdavin and it was a hell of a three years. Suburbs are ****.

Living in Clondalkin at the moment. I like it. It's got nearly everything you need and not too far away from Dublin City.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yep, I love Tuam. It leaves so much to be desired but it has it's characters and music is huge here.

I lived in Caherdavin and it was a hell of a three years. Suburbs are ****.

Living in Clondalkin at the moment. I like it. It's got nearly everything you need and not too far away from Dublin City.

:(

I like Caherdavin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Malahide is nice. Its own flaw is the lack of shops, really. I mean, from where I live, the nearest shop is a centra 2 miles away. If I don't want to pay over the top prices, I have to walk even further than that.

Even so, its very nice. Ample bus stops, train station, not too loud at night, lovely people(vast majority) and it has a nice estuary. Yeahhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Colm! wrote: »
    No. No, I don't.

My own home is grand, but my town is literally home to nothing and nobody of any interest. I've a few friends in the area but very few of them are even from the town.
    The place is a mess, the people tend to be awful, and I want out.

I don't love my town.

My neighbour is from Dunmanway, he's in his early 30s, and he says he couldn't even live there again because all his friends are gone and the only people still there are the people who will NEVER leave their hometown. It's kinda sad that people dont have a sense of exploration!

Limerick?? I love it, but my problem is the people in it. I know of I ever moved away I'd really miss it. I'm not living at home now, but I'm still living in Limerick so it's not the same as leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Here, I'm from Cork

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    My neighbour is from Dunmanway, he's in his early 30s, and he says he couldn't even live there again because all his friends are gone.
    Here, I can see why. There's literally nothing here. No opportunity for anyone, really. All of my friends know they're never coming back.
    This town's worth nothing to us, as much as we hate to say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

I live in East Cork. I have to say, I love my town. I love the people, I love the shops etc. Im so glad I grew up here. Although in saying that, I don't see myself living here 'when I grow up'. The next down even more East is the most dull and depressing town I've ever encountered.

Advertisement