Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cull cows

• 14-01-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Does anyone here buy cull cows and finish them?, and if ye do, do ye mainly finish them off grass or do ye drive them on wit meal..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

culls are making mad prices at the minute in the mart... got €1010 for a 710kg fr cow last week, serious demand for them at the minute,suppose its like all stock crazy money, dont know how you would make money on them tbh. Even screws are going to be at least €500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

dasheriff wrote: »
    Does anyone here buy cull cows and finish them?, and if ye do, do ye mainly finish them off grass or do ye drive them on wit meal..

We don't buy in any but would feed our own to finish them. We would treat them like finishing any other animal and feed meal!
    I think it can be justified particularly when cull cow prices are high as they currently are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Cull cow factory prices are one of the best indicators of where the market is going. They are the first to slip in price when the market turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

We had a few culls at the end of last year, one old purebred in good condition so we factoried her straight off grass. Got 1170 when prices were back a good bit. One had very bad feet so we made the mistake of pairing them and found inside clout was rotten. She was weighing in around 840kg but was empty so there was a bit of finishing so we decided to do it. An other one we sold her straight in the mart she was weighing 720kg and we got 1360.
    We put about e170-190 worth of meal into the one with the bad feet and killed her last week. kkilled out poor enough for the size of her at 1460.
    Reckon if we had to sell her direct in the mart with the other one we would have been far better off and no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Thanks for thats lad they are making deadly money in the marts alrit the moment, i suppose they arent a great idea so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

dasheriff wrote: »
    Thanks for thats lad they are making deadly money in the marts alrit the moment, i suppose they arent a great idea so..

Personally I don't think it is a bad idea

BUT I think you need to know what you are doing - more so than cattle. Issue of mastitis can be a problem, especially if you are grazing them into june. Also big cows can eat a huge amount, they can be very costly to keep

Maybe start with 4 or 5 and see how you get on??

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Thanks tipp man thats what i had in my head alright.I might try and pick up a few and see how i get on..Sur nothing tried nothing gained i suppose:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Scan them when you buy them. You could easily buy trouble.

Advertisement