Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another assault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

So, ah, 3 Gardai out of approximately 150 is signs of a breeding ground for "headbangers"... Wow. Just, wow. I guess everyone that lives in Waterford then are hurley swinging, screwdriver carrying, hammer using, murdering bastards??? Or am i tarring the whole city with the actions of a few... Must be awful high up on your horse.

actually 5 members of the Waterford Garda out of 150 (your total) were in court for various charges lately.

that's compared to 5 assaults you mention out of 50,000 I think we have more to fear from the guards then the scumbags on your figures don't you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Funfair wrote: »
    actually 5 members of the Waterford Garda out of 150 (your total) were in court for various charges lately.

that's compared to 5 assaults you mention out of 50,000 I think we have more to fear from the guards then the scumbags on your figures don't you :rolleyes:

You're having a laugh.. right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Doesn't matter how many were in court, only 3 were convicted.

And I can guarantee you that there's hundreds upon hundreds of assaults that don't make the papers. Not to mention drug offences, driving offences, burglary, criminal damage, sexual offences, thefts, public order, the list goes on. So, you're wrong, you don't have more to fear. But, do everyone a favour and don't ring the guards if you need them, that way they can respond to someone who deserves their help instead.

I'm leaving it at that, too many threads get brought down by these kind of "debates".

But, do everyone a favour and don't ring the guards if you need them, that way they can respond to someone who deserves their help instead.

Grand

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Our problem lies with the courts.

We need proper sentences in this country and concurrent sentences ( in most cases) should be done away with.

We would actually be doing these lads a favour by locking them up for a few years, letting them think about what they've done and saving them from their own actions.

Agree with you 100% here. To be totally honest and I'm not in any way condoning the guards acting like they are above the law, but it must be so so frustrating to be dealing with the same tramps week in week out, arresting them, building a case and sending them to court, only for the courts to give them a slap on the wrist and send them back out onto the streets to do the exact same thing again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The fact that three separate incidents happened, the rugby tackle, the given the fella slaps for peeing, and the turning the camera away (the last two are separate in that the gardaí weren't together at the time, but closely linked) suggests a certain culture developed in the Waterford Barracks amongst at least a minority.

I've never had any trouble with the Gardaí and always found them to be polite and grand. Unfortunately during the boom people had other career options, so the Gardái couldn't pick and choose who they let in the way they could prior to the boom. The Gardaí could probably pick the cream of the crop in terms of recruits at the moment, but the government won't put the money into recruitment and lots of experienced Gardaí (some of the best of them) are taking early retirement.

Unfortunately we'll always have scumbags (and I'm not convinced that in the past it was only ever fists). However the government can control the number of Gardaí. All in all though, I do feel safe when out on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Agree with you 100% here. To be totally honest and I'm not in any way condoning the guards acting like they are above the law, but it must be so so frustrating to be dealing with the same tramps week in week out, arresting them, building a case and sending them to court, only for the courts to give them a slap on the wrist and send them back out onto the streets to do the exact same thing again and again.

I honestly think the Court hands are tied as well. Even if they get a sentence they're out again after a few hours cos the prisons can't cope with the numbers. It all comes down to a question of money and basically in this country we don't fecking have any right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

lot of comments saying more funding for gardas:confused:

why this incident happened outside instanbul for christ sake there should be a garda presence there from 10-4 on a friday/saturday night in my opinion.

I like going out in waterford but there is no denying that there was always an air of menace around place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

I'd ring the guy's neck and then maybe the ambulance..

more then 2 Garda, the barracks is a breading ground for headbangers :)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/garda-who-rugby-tackled-prisoner-in-cell-denies-assault-2967848.html

why ya linkin pix of suggs there ,dont ya know ya cant act the maggot in the guards house of fun, although the cop went one step beyond cant see him takin the nightboat to cairo anytime s:p:pn...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

I know a guy who had a gun put to his head.
    Unfortunately the trigger was never pulled but we still live in hope.

To put down these people we need to personally do something about it.
    Not to depend on the judiciary because the criminals know their
    way about the justice system & it doesn't bother them being sent down.
    A guy I know had a car stolen & he took his revenge on the guy who stole it.
    There wasn't a Garda within 3 miles of where the incident took place so work it out for yourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

This whole knife thing started about 4/5 years ago, it was all over the news in England, it was the ideal time for the Gardai to nip it in the bud here by stopping and searching dodgy lookin people randomly. F-all was done and we will have to wait until some 12 year old/old person/teacher is killed before there is an outcry and something half hearted attempted by those in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Charged anyway
    Man charged with stabbing
    An 18 year old man has been charged in connection with a stabbing incident in Waterford City early on Saturday morning.Luke Rio with an address at St Dominicks Court, Bridge St, Waterford was charged under Section 4 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act and was remanded in custody to appear beforeWaterford District Court tomorrow.Gardai recieved a report that on Saturday morning that a male approached 23 year old Jonathan Milleawith an address at Connolly Place, Waterford and stabbed him 4 times with a screwdriver. Injuries were sustained to the face, neck and two wounds to the back. The suspect Luke Rio was arrested and taken to Waterford Garda Station where he was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and 8pm last night he was charged.Jonathan Millea remains in a critical condition in hospital. Waterford Gardai say If anyone has information or witnessed this incident they would ask them to get in contact with the Garda Station on 051-305300.
    Wlr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i had an altercation with three lads one night outside my gf house they were looking around at houses to break into and i seen them check out the gf house and i challenged them and told them to fcuk off away from the house and two of them pulled out a hammer and a screw driver and the guy with the hammer took a swing at me luckily i was standing beside the green recycle bin and i kicked it at him and stood my ground after a bit of a stand off they went off full of their threats, i knew one of the lads from a place where i used to live and i told him he would be making a big mistake if he did anything and he definitely is a scumbag of the highest order, people like that need to be shown what its like to be the victim, i feel sorry for the guy that got stabbed, waterford scum is rising to a new level and the law cant cope with it, going out for a drink in waterford is like risking your life it aint worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Charged anyway
    Man charged with stabbing
    An 18 year old man has been charged in connection with a stabbing incident in Waterford City early on Saturday morning.Luke Rio with an address at St Dominicks Court, Bridge St, Waterford was charged under Section 4 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act and was remanded in custody to appear beforeWaterford District Court tomorrow.Gardai recieved a report that on Saturday morning that a male approached 23 year old Jonathan Milleawith an address at Connolly Place, Waterford and stabbed him 4 times with a screwdriver. Injuries were sustained to the face, neck and two wounds to the back. The suspect Luke Rio was arrested and taken to Waterford Garda Station where he was detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and 8pm last night he was charged.Jonathan Millea remains in a critical condition in hospital. Waterford Gardai say If anyone has information or witnessed this incident they would ask them to get in contact with the Garda Station on 051-305300.
    Wlr

Gotta hope this is not random and there is a history of some sort behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Heard a rumour the guy who was stabbed has died, havent been able to validate it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

kryogen wrote: »
    Heard a rumour the guy who was stabbed has died, havent been able to validate it yet though

That rumour isn't true

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

Same guy (the 18 y/o) was on the run for a few months during the summer, he was supposed to be sent down for something but skipped bail n took off. Never told his family but most of his friends knew where he was cos he kept in touch over Facebook, when he did eventually come back he was locked up did his time but its guys like him who never change think they're 'hard men' n do stupid things. Hope to god the guy who was stabbed is OK, n hope the other guy learn from this major mistake. He deserves everything he gets. SCUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any update on the injured man??

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kryogen wrote: »

There is always silly rumours about like that, no link, no story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Scumbags wear short prison sentences as badges of honour. F*ckers should be castrated and tortured. If you go out and stab someone or cause any kind of long lasting damage, break into someones home or whatever, you immediately forfeit your rights as far as im concerned

• Advertisement

kkdela6 wrote: »
    Scumbags wear short prison sentences as badges of honour.

Sadly very true..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

kittymiss wrote: »

You say found him eventually, but the article says hes missing and its dating March 2011:confused:

You say found him eventually, but the article says hes missing and its dating March 2011:confused:

He's the guy they arrested in relation to a screwdriver incident last weekend is what she means...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

He's the guy they arrested in relation to a screwdriver incident last weekend is what she means...

Oh right I get ya!!:o Thanks:)

Oh right I get ya!!:o Thanks:)

no bother boi! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

do you mean the missing person is the person that was arrested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

do you mean the missing person is the person that was arrested..

Yeah that's it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

seanybiker wrote: »
    Yeah that's it

ah rite seany, I never relised that they found that young fella in the end

is the young fella that was stabbed a brother of another millea stabbed in Tramore a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

allgirlz wrote: »
    They need to have a garda presence in the town at night

Tbh this is the case in a lot of areas. There really is fcuk all garda presence in towns in general. If nothing else the sight of them acts as a bit of a deterrent but I dunno if its just down to budget or nobody who calls the shots actually realising this.

To be fair as the Gardai are the ones at the coal front day in day out and dealing with these people they know full well, unfortunately with only one station covering the whole city and reduced members with budget and manpower cuts there is only so much of a city 4 or 5 guards can cover.

Your local TDs are the ones to be voicing those concerns with, if you have two guards standing on John street it means the other 99% of the city has 1 or 2 cars available

Advertisement