Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another assault

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

d3exile wrote: »
    To be fair as the Gardai are the ones at the coal front day in day out and dealing with these people they know full well, unfortunately with only one station covering the whole city and reduced members with budget and manpower cuts there is only so much of a city 4 or 5 guards can cover.

Your local TDs are the ones to be voicing those concerns with, if you have two guards standing on John street it means the other 99% of the city has 1 or 2 cars available

How many Guards are actually on active duty in the city? O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

How many Guards are actually on active duty in the city? O_o

CLASSIFIED:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

To be fair as the Gardai are the ones at the coal front day in day out and dealing with these people they know full well, unfortunately with only one station covering the whole city and reduced members with budget and manpower cuts there is only so much of a city 4 or 5 guards can cover.

Your local TDs are the ones to be voicing those concerns with, if you have two guards standing on John street it means the other 99% of the city has 1 or 2 cars available

Huh ? your saying we have only 4-5 Guards on duty on a weekend night?

I would have thought there must be at least 20-30 on duty at any one time...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Funfair wrote: »

Huh ? your saying we have only 4-5 Guards on duty on a weekend night?

I would have thought there must be at least 20-30 on duty at any one time...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised with this,
    Frontline services are cut to ****, ambulances also have. very little cover

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nypd wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised with this,
    Frontline services are cut to ****, ambulances also have. very little cover

At yet not many cuts for whoever sits in the offices making coffee :confused:
    Priorities are fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Its not classified. I was told by a GARDA that 51 in Waterford City is the number

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

51 on duty? dream on lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

A city the size of waterford should have about eight guards and one sergeant working at night. Plus two plain clothes guards for part of the night.

But take away one for working behind the counter and another for prisoners and that only leaves six available for patrol assuming no one is on holidays or sick.

But that's typical of most of the country. There'll be what 11,000 guards come March. Take 2,000 away for management. I don't know what the numbers are for guards stuck indoors but i doubt there good. Now dived by four for the shift work and you get an idea of how few guards their is to deal with the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

tankbarry wrote: »
    Its not classified. I was told by a GARDA that 51 in Waterford City is the number

That's handy to know ;)

You would need to take way senior officers, JLO's, community policing, gardai working in immigration office, gardai in the office who have days jobs, etc.

That could easily amount to 19 gardai - leaving 32 available, if you divide this by 4 (shifts) that would leave 8 gardai per shift.

If thats the case, I'd hate to be one of the 8 on night shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thats the problem with the shift system. You have the same amount on from 8am to 4pm on a Monday as you have on the night shift on Friday\Satuarday. Makes so little sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

thomasm wrote: »
    Thats the problem with the shift system. You have the same amount on from 8am to 4pm on a Monday as you have on the night shift on Friday\Satuarday. Makes so little sense to me

But see, thats the thing with the Gardai, there's no way to predict calls, so you could have a quiet Friday night and a bat-sh!t crazy Monday afternoon. The number of Gardai working at any time would scare some people to be honest. In Waterford anyway.
    That's handy to know ;)

You would need to take way senior officers, JLO's, community policing, gardai working in immigration office, gardai in the office who have days jobs, etc.

That could easily amount to 19 gardai - leaving 32 available, if you divide this by 4 (shifts) that would leave 8 gardai per shift.

If thats the case, I'd hate to be one of the 8 on night shift!

You also have to factor in leave, courses and sickness...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Sorry folks, genuinely we aren't allowed talk bout station strengths but I can tell you 51 is well wide of the mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sorry folks, genuinely we aren't allowed talk bout station strengths but I can tell you 51 is well wide of the mark!
    Fiddy two so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

lads, I have to say a couple of things...1: seany...after seeing your posts...my greatest of respects to ya man... You are a credit sir. You stirred emotion and one of the reasons that i actually registered here (rather than being a lurker)

I don't know whats happened to waterford? I used to love going out here...its like...take your life in your hands now. Whatever happened to going out and getting locked and going to Mo's or hillbilly's and waking up the following morning and saying "mad night", but fookin brilliant...

now, its not fists...its glass or bottles...I can't compete with that, like I hope, most! Jesus, bring back flow flow motion and club LA... twas happy times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I don't know whats happened to waterford? I used to love going out here...its like...take your life in your hands now.
    Scum there breed like rabbits while the brighter people move away once they finish school/college.

Advertisement