Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eggs!

Options
  • 14-01-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭

Myself and my GF had a bizzare experience in Salthill lastnight...
    We were walking home, along by the Warwick, minding our own business and next thing, BANG! A car (I think it was a 4*4) had driven past and flung eggs at us! It hit us with such force that my first reaction was it was a stone flung up from the road or something! Herself got it full whack on the leg and we both limped home covered in egg shells! She has bruising on her leg this morning.

Is this how the youths of Galway entertain themselves in the recession?! We can laugh about it now, but I dread to think the consequences if the victim was elderly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Nothing to do with the recession, some people are just ar*eholes unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kieran26 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the recession, some people are just ar*eholes unfortunately

The correlation between recession and egging is well known. The youth today are so angry they take out their frustration on innocent eggs.

OP, you should just be grateful they didn't throw a chair at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

**** will be ****, no matter the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Agree with above sentiment and add egg based pun here. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

this used be good fun to do when younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr justMary asked last night if I'd heard about a couple of houses in Bohermore getting egged the other night.

OP, if someone throws a missile at you, do report it to the guards. They might not take your individual case overly seriously, but if it's happening to lots of people (and it probably is) then it turns into a problem they need to solve - as you say, someone elderly could be injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How do you know they were youths op?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

snubbleste wrote: »
    How do you know they were youths op?

God I dunno, a wild assumption I suppose. It was hardly the local active retirement group out and about getting their jollies so I put 2+2 together and got 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

tunedout wrote: »
    this used be good fun to do when younger.

Really?.

It sounds as though you did it and have no regrets!
    Very sad.

I just hope no youngsters read this and take your comment as approval.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JoeA3 wrote: »
    God I dunno, a wild assumption I suppose. It was hardly the local active retirement group out and about getting their jollies so I put 2+2 together and got 5.

Hmm, so we agree it was a frustrated female travelling with two babies in the back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is nothing new, or restricted to Galway. I remember the same thing happening to me and my at-the-time girlfriend back home in Drogheda. And that was about ten years ago. Truth be told- Some people are just idiots and have nothing better to do with their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

im shell shocked at these shennagins.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

I recollect a court case in recent years concerning an innocent lady who'd lost an eye after being struck with an egg thrown from a vehicle.
    By all means report the incident to the Gardai and insist on making a statement.
    Gardai have access to cctv that may enable them to find the vehicle.
    From there, a word in the ear of the registered owner, etc and further action if necessary.
    If you don't get any satisfaction from the gardai, i suggest you then contact a public representative who is involved with the local policing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Walking to town from NUIG yesterday my friend got pelted with an orange thrown from a passing car, it hit his shoulder at a fair speed, would have really hurt if it got him in the face. Don't understand how people can find that in any way amusing, it's essentially an unprovoked attack! Such scumbaggery really disgusts me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Walking to town from NUIG yesterday my friend got pelted with an orange thrown from a passing car, it hit his shoulder at a fair speed, would have really hurt if it got him in the face. Don't understand how people can find that in any way amusing, it's essentially an unprovoked attack! Such scumbaggery really disgusts me :(

Remember getting egged a few times in quasar in the leisure dome on the headford road when we were younger. Little pikeys. Also water bombed by some apartment overlooking Egglington street by some drunken students. Saw the funny side of it at the time but eggs and stuff thrown from cars with the possibility of losing an eye...all ill say is it wouldn't be eggs id be throwing back at them! Kids will be kids but if your old enough to drive then grow the ***k up

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

An incident of Egging had a tragic ending in Dublin not so long ago. Chaps house was being Egged and when he went out to remonstrate with the Yobs, one of them produced a gun and shot him dead. Hope the scumbag rots in jail and is never let out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We were walking home, along by the Warwick, minding our own business and next thing, BANG! A car (I think it was a 4*4) had driven past and flung eggs at us! It hit us with such force that my first reaction was it was a stone flung up from the road or something! Herself got it full whack on the leg and we both limped home covered in egg shells! She has bruising on her leg this morning.

Is this how the youths of Galway entertain themselves in the recession?! We can laugh about it now, but I dread to think the consequences if the victim was elderly.

A drive by.
    Comptons got nothing on Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

This is forever happening on Headford Road. Take a walk down past the houses before Argos and Lidl and you'll usually find eggshells.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Surrealean wrote: »
    This is forever happening on Headford Road. Take a walk down past the houses before Argos and Lidl and you'll usually find eggshells.
    Noticed that yesterday walking by them, one of the houses was destroyed with stains of many types.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is it acceptable to retaliate when one has been egged?

A friend of mine was egged in town one night, and then the little scumbags drove around again, obviously to either see what damage they'd done, or to find their next victim. After they drove past us they got stopped behind traffic at lights, so we got the reg and reported it, but nothing ever came of it.
    We could instead have run up to the car and done some damage. Would this have been acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Ficheall wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to retaliate when one has been egged?

A friend of mine was egged in town one night, and then the little scumbags drove around again, obviously to either see what damage they'd done, or to find their next victim. After they drove past us they got stopped behind traffic at lights, so we got the reg and reported it, but nothing ever came of it.
    We could instead have run up to the car and done some damage. Would this have been acceptable?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No. You're lowering yourself to their level. And you may be unlucky enough to be seen by a guard / /cctv /etc: when you're standing in court (unlike the playground, ) a defence of "but he hit me first" just doesn't wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ewo

What happened to scrambling eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

jased10s wrote: »
    im shell shocked at these shennagins.
    its people who make jokes like this that should have eggs thrown at them from passing cars:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ahaha, this happened to me when I was walking back from Gleann Dara at one stage. The students in the car obviously didn't realise that the lights on that road used to change very verrrry slowly.

Not their best day ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

garda can check the cctv they have at the junction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

About two years myself and my mother were pelted with eggs by a passing car as we passed the university. Not nice. She had a massive bruise after it. Just devilment I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

bagels wrote: »
    I recollect a court case in recent years concerning an innocent lady who'd lost an eye after being struck with an egg thrown from a vehicle.
    By all means report the incident to the Gardai and insist on making a statement.
    Gardai have access to cctv that may enable them to find the vehicle.
    From there, a word in the ear of the registered owner, etc and further action if necessary.
    If you don't get any satisfaction from the gardai, i suggest you then contact a public representative who is involved with the local policing board.
    I was thinking of that case too when reading through the thread. It was somewhere in south east if I remember correctly. Wicklow or Carlow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭sue345

Me and the OH were walking down Shantalla last Sunday and a black car flew past and threw a tomato at us, hit me in the chest was quite painful...

Then during the week mister was walking home on near Fine Wine's in Westside and was hit with another tomato again it was a black car...

Maybe people think its fun to hurl veg out of speeding cars!!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

A common occurrence on Kingston Rd., Taylor's Hill, beside Salthill Park etc. I do make a point of reporting it any time I can.

Also got hit in the face with a water gun or whatever. That kind of public humiliation of regular people going about with their lives obviously enough really annoys me.

Advertisement