Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Wilde - hardest p4p puncher ever??

• 14-01-2012 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Could a case be made for Jimmy Wilde being the true hardest puncher p4p of all time??

he had 100 ko's in 137 wins, only ever losing 4 !

an unbelievable record in it's own right but throw into the mix he was only a FLYWEIGHT !!

Wow usually the minimum weight fighters don't have that high a ko%.....there are exceptions such as Lopez etc....

aptly nicknamed 'Mighty Atom'

I wonder....Jimmy Wilde P4P hardest hitter??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

'The Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand', has an astonishing knockout record for a fighter who'd be tiny as a minimumweight today and yet he was blowing away genuine Flyweights and Bantamweights.

There isn't a huge amount of video footage of wild, but I don't think you can be that small and have such a high ko record when competing against the best in the World unless you are exceptionally heavy handed.
    So the answer ?..........definitely, possibly, maybe.

Like most discussions it's impossible to objectively quantify this for sure, but Wilde is definitely one of the top contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

yeah totaly subjective......his record is great though

he is supposed to have many more fights than recorded, he says 800 in total but that is unlikely

very rare to see a flyweight with that sort of power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yeah, but Jimmy Wilde is from years and years and years ago. No way is he a match for today's equivalent men, so with that in mind, no way was he the hardest p4p hitter ever.:P Heck, Henry Armstrong would be a journeyman if around today, and Wilde was from further back, would he even get a licence to box today?

Eh, for the record, that post above is not directed to the OP.

walshb wrote: »
    Yeah, but Jimmy Wilde is from years and years and years ago. No way is he a match for today's equivalent men, so with that in mind, no way was he the hardest p4p hitter ever.:P Heck, Henry Armstrong would be a journeyman if around today, and Wilde was from further back, would he even get a licence to box today?

Eh, for the record, that post above is not directed to the OP.

Jimmy wilde is ring top 3 p4p hardest puncher of all time and greatest flyweight of all time and u question whether he'd get a licence today?

henry armstrong journeyman today??? armstrong was ring magazine number 2 rated best p4p boxers of last 80 years and nr 57 rated hardest punchers of all time....he ws only fighter ever to hold world titles in 3 seperate weight classes at same time and back then there were far less weights.

You've proved you know nothing about boxing with these stupid comments and im guessing you've never boxed 1 round in your life!

don't bother responding because all your replies don't make sense

go follow cricket or something :D

That comment, post from me was a complete buzz. You takin' that serious? That is why I added in the face.

• Advertisement

you never know with your comments...hit and miss :rolleyes:

you never know with your comments...hit and miss :rolleyes:

Well, maybe if you bothered to read the post, look at the silly face, and even see the reference to Henry, you may just have caught on. I left enough clues, just seems not enough for you. Pity.

Cricket, can't stand that sport. Bores me.

walshb wrote: »
    Well, maybe if you bothered to read the post, look at the silly face, and even see the reference to Henry, you may just have caught on. I left enough clues, just seems not enough for you. Pity.

Cricket, can't stand that sport. Bores me.

i would rather have discussion about the individual topics rather than you keep going off topic and confusing everyones posts......

i would rather have discussion about the individual topics rather than you keep going off topic and confusing everyones posts......

Ok. I guess any bit of humor is banned in any threads created by you. Fair enough, I promise I will not reply to any more threads you create.

Mods, here that.

BTW, Wilde was a dynamite hitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

The two of ye remind me of an old couple, constantly nagging and arguing! :p

• Advertisement

The two of ye remind me of an old couple, constantly nagging and arguing! :p

gene, lucky you put in that face at the end of your post, otherwise I may have taken offence!

Advertisement