Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download - Donington

Options
  • 14-01-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going this year with a couple of friends - anyone else gone with a hired campervan? Any suggestions on best places/prices etc?

I don't mind driving a few hours to the gig if it means saving a few bob - but all within reason of course.

Many from these parts going this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm going to be there for Metallica on Saturday (surprisingly the first time I'll have ever gone to Download), the less mentioned about Friday the better, and I might get a ticket for the Sunday as well provided that Black Sabbath don't pull out or that no other major alternation is made to that particular headline act.

Got a hotel for the Sat/Sun as I'm going to buy Day Tickets as I've had enough of camping. There's nothing like a good breakfast, a comfortable bed and a proper shower to set you up in the morning.

I think Metallica's set should be awesome, as usual, and I'm looking forward to seeing if some of the rumored acts are performing. I really want to see Papa Wheelie so hopefully they'll get their act together and perform on the same day as 'Tallica

Sonisphere is less than a month later (which is my third visit there) so I need to save money where I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

paying my 2nd visit to Donnington this year. As above doing the hotel thing. Cant beat it. Was at soni last year so looking forward to seeing Metallica again.
    Hey Motley what other acts are rumored?
    the suspense is Killing me.:D

hellyeah wrote: »
    paying my 2nd visit to Donnington this year. As above doing the hotel thing. Cant beat it. Was at soni last year so looking forward to seeing Metallica again.

Coal Chamber are a strong possibility, as is Steel Panther and Trivium

There's also been a lot of talk about TOOL, Blink 182 and a Sheffield band called While She Sleeps. TOOL are supposed to be on Sunday, and might (depending on the whole Black Sabbath thing) be the best choice to replace Sabbath if they're unable to fulfill their duties.

Then we have the usual bands doing the festival circuit - either they'll play Download or Sonisphere - In Flames, Five Finger Death Punch, Killswitch Engage, Ghost and Sepultura to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

hellyeah wrote: »

Reminds me of Monster of Rock '87, those who were there will know what i'm on about ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Out of interest - how far away is your hotel? Was it expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Hey Motley, wheres this TOOL rumour coming from!? any definite source? dont want to get too excited over nothing...

D.Q wrote: »
    Hey Motley, wheres this TOOL rumour coming from!? any definite source? dont want to get too excited over nothing...

I've heard about TOOL from their fan forums, a lot of people have been talking about it.

About 2 weeks ago E Festivals listed them as a possible rumored performer. Now, whether or not you like the site, E Festivals has been known to predict (successfully) the line up of major UK festivals for many years. They don't put anything on their site unless their sure an appearance is at least in the negotiating stages. A lot of people on that site work in Press and PR.

I know a lot about the PR team for Sonisphere but those guys are always told to keep their mouths shut about announcements. I do know the first headliner announcements are coming very soon.
    Keedowah wrote: »

I got a fantastic deal, as I've said I booked the 2 nights, it's about 12 miles away (20/30 minutes drive from the festival site) but I got a really cheap price - about £66 GBP for a Double Room (includes breakfast)

I booked it with Booking.com which meant no deposit but your booking is secure (I sound like an ad now) but the hotel is called Hog's Head Hotel but it was recommend because they're recently had their rooms upgraded and modernized.

http://www.hogsheadhotel.co.uk/

Im staying in the Stuart hotel in derby. Got a twin room for 4 nights for £250 for two people. Hotel is 100yards from the train station which runs
    shuttle buses to the festivel about 20mins away.
    Can highly recommend this hotel. When we stayed there before there was
    lots of metal heads staying there and it was great craic in the bar in the evening after the gig. With the residents bar we stayed up most nights till 2- 3 am and they had scuzz tv on in the bar.
    Bullet for my Valentine were staying there. Im not a fan, but they seem really nice lads and were down in the bar on the saturday night after they played chatting to everyone.
    Breakfast was great. really set you up for the day.

I've heard about TOOL from their fan forums, a lot of people have been talking about it.

About 2 weeks ago E Festivals listed them as a possible rumored performer. Now, whether or not you like the site, E Festivals has been known to predict (successfully) the line up of major UK festivals for many years. They don't put anything on their site unless their sure an appearance is at least in the negotiating stages. A lot of people on that site work in Press and PR.

I know a lot about the PR team for Sonisphere but those guys are always told to keep their mouths shut about announcements. I do know the first headliner announcements are coming very soon.

Jesus. IF... they are announced tomorrow I'll lose my ****ing mind. Hopefully they wont be at Sonisphere. They would single handedly make my ticket the greatest purchase I have ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm doing Download for definite this summer..... I just hope that Black Sabbath still play, but I suppose that will depend on how Tony Iommi is doing at that stage :(

If the line-up is right, I'll be hitting Sonisphere for the third time as well! I have to admit, I've gotten fiercely impatient waiting for the first announcement.

As for camper vans and the like, I have no idea, I just pass out in a tent OLD SCHOOL STYLE :D :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm doing Download for definite this summer..... I just hope that Black Sabbath still play, but I suppose that will depend on how Tony Iommi is doing at that stage :(

Myself and the girlfriend got a fancy little house thing in the pod village/VIP area (comes with electricity and all!) purely as we've been waiting years to see Black Sabbath but aren't into the idea of slumming it as a festival. Cost a bomb, but for Black Sabbath - totally worth it.

Will be absolutely gutted if Tony is too sick to play :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Will be absolutely gutted if Tony is too sick to play :(

I hate to ruin your plans but I've been told by someone in the PR department for the festival that if Tony is too sick to play then they would rather not have Black Sabbath listed as headliner. So I don't know whether the plan is to scrap Sabbath entirely, and put Ozzy further down on the bill (or, God forbid, have him headline), or whether it's just to move the second to last one up one.

I hate to ruin your plans but I've been told by someone in the PR department for the festival that if Tony is too sick to play then they would rather not have Black Sabbath listed as headliner. So I don't know whether the plan is to scrap Sabbath entirely, and put Ozzy further down on the bill (or, God forbid, have him headline), or whether it's just to move the second to last one up one.

this is why I think there is going to be at least one HUGE sub headliner announced tonight.

What time is the announcement?

Couldn't sort out the camper van so booked into the Holiday Inn in Derby from Thursday night - anything usually go on on the Thursday anyone know?

They usually try and make the announcement around 9pm, they send out the releases and what not, and then that guy on Radio 1 gets to promote it first in the UK

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The announcement tonight is.......Soundgarden, Biffy Clyro, You me at Six and Tenacious D.

Soundgarden will be playing under Sabbath

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

With more to come later on tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Please Dear God may Soundgarden announce a solo date here, have no interest in the Download line up except for them and Sabbath.

I hope to do Soni again,eagarly awaiting announcements.

Do people realise or care that Ireland's first Euro match is on the Sunday evening of Download?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Am thinking I'm going to this, was originally sold on The Black Album being played and The Prodigy, but now am excited to see Tenacious D and Biffy again. I seen them last year at Soni and they know how to put on a nice show.

Has anyone gone before and gotten a hotel for a night or two? Myself and my gig buddy are getting old in our bones :D Just wondering is there any nearby accomodation and easy commute to and from the site? Buses or trains etc.

Thanks guys! And yay festival :D

Would so try and do Sonipshere too, but can't get time off in July, not even a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

UGLY KID JOE!! :D:D:D

They are working on new material too, which should get an airing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Nea wrote: »
    Do people realise or care that Ireland's first Euro match is on the Sunday evening of Download?
    I do anyway :). There were vague plans to head over there this year but when we realised there would be a clash we changed our minds. I was over there in 2006 during the world cup. It was quite interesting actually to be perched on the hill watching Cradle of Filth one side and England v Paraguay on the other.

lol^:D

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Am thinking I'm going to this, was originally sold on The Black Album being played and The Prodigy, but now am excited to see Tenacious D and Biffy again. I seen them last year at Soni and they know how to put on a nice show.

Has anyone gone before and gotten a hotel for a night or two? Myself and my gig buddy are getting old in our bones :D Just wondering is there any nearby accomodation and easy commute to and from the site? Buses or trains etc.

Thanks guys! And yay festival :D

Would so try and do Sonipshere too, but can't get time off in July, not even a day!

Check out the earlier posts - I'm booked into a hotel near the train station in Derby, Hellyeah is staying close by and has said that they run shuttle buses to and from the gig from there.

I'm in the same boat - too old to go camping again, no problem doing it in the wilderness but having people walking-on, p-ing on and pukeing on your tent is not my idea of fun - plus I want the comfort of having a shower over the weekend.

but having people walking-on, p-ing on and pukeing on your tent is not my idea of fun.

Try telling that to the couple that had sex just 5 feet away from me. Woke me up during her orgasm, I appreciated the shouting, but the "I'm arriving" part was just too weird for me to handle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sonisphere is less than a month later (which is my third visit there) so I need to save money where I can.

FNM being heavily rumoured for Sonisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

scudzilla wrote: »
    Reminds me of Monster of Rock '87, those who were there will know what i'm on about ;);)
    I wasn't there. Can you let me in on the joke? ;)

Malice wrote: »
    I wasn't there. Can you let me in on the joke? ;)

Huge banner above the stage read 'Donnington' when it is actually 'Donington'

Another fcuk up, apart from Bon Jovi allegedly sabotaging Metallica's sound, was the intro to Bon Jovi, he climbed up onto the lighting rig and was lowered down for the start, but nobody put a spotlight on him and most missed it, those who saw a guy coming down just thought it was a roadie.

Was a great day though, All the Metallica/Anthrax fans scruffy as fcuk, laughing at the Bon Jovi fans in there glam gear (white pants etc) slipping on there arses in the mud cos it rained nearly all day :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Last year the weather was fantastic for the first 2 days, I even got sunburnt, but the final day was absolutely dire and the whole place turned into a quagmire. Really want to go this year, but so far, got no one to go with....not sure I'd go it alone! Was great last year though, had the time of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Last year the weather was fantastic for the first 2 days, I even got sunburnt, but the final day was absolutely dire and the whole place turned into a quagmire. Really want to go this year, but so far, got no one to go with....not sure I'd go it alone! Was great last year though, had the time of my life.

Sunday last year was ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as the people who left early though. Fools! I did hide out in the 3rd stage tent for a good while though :D
    I went on my own last year, had a great time of it!

Advertisement