Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download - Donington

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Sunday last year was ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as the people who left early though. Fools! I did hide out in the 3rd stage tent for a good while though :D
    I went on my own last year, had a great time of it!

I can just echo that, no shame in going on your own, some of the best times of your life can be spent at music festivals on your own time. You will see the bands you want to see and be there solely for the music, not stopping at every bar or burger van to drink yourself silly....you can do that anyway, but believe me, without drunk mates to worry about the festival can have a whole lot more potential

think, no longer will you say, damn...i wish i hadn't missed THAT band

FEAR FACTORY....THAT IS ALL....

FEAR FACTORY

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Went there last year and the year before. First time had AC/DC, Rage and Aerosmith, 3 of us went and it was absolutely unreal! Didn't really mix with anyone though, just kept to ourselves which I kind of regret now, got crazy drunk every night though for the cheesy power ballads in the bell tent!

Last year there was 6 of us, went for the 5 days and went drinkin with a crazy amount of people! Had English, Scottish and Welsh calling over to out gazebo to do beer bongs with us! Needless to say we never lost one, did our nations stereotype proud!! Only complaint I had with last year was that they lengthened the walk into town so getting a nice fry in the morning was that much harder :(

This year there's 12 going, mainly to see Soundgarden. I like my metal a lot heavier then the rest of the guys going so i'll be happily spending my Sunday watching Devil Driver and Lamb of God. Can't wait to go!! To anyone going on there own, you'll end up meeting people at Dublin airport heading over so you can always tag along with a group!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

reading the above posts is bringing back alot of memorys from Download 2 years ago. 2 of us went over then and had a ball.
    We wimped out and stayed in a hotel, which after the rain on sunday i was glad we did. We had a great time in our hotel after each night as the bar stayed open till 3am. The hotel staff were sound. The 2 of us were out on the front steps having a smoke and beers just chatting to passers by/other festivel attendees etc. Before we knew it there was about 15people sitting on the steps outside the hotel all drinking and talking about the days events. Met people from wales, scotland, england, europe etc and had a laugh. What we found about the whole weekend was how friendly everyone was and there was no trouble to be seen anywere.
    (not like some of the Muppetry you Sometimes see at gigs here)
    For anyone thinking of going i would defo recommend it.:D

PS Motley ( I cant wait to see Fear Factory to):D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I've been to the last 4 i think! Did RIP camping last year but it really wasnt worth it! My only problem with DL is the walk from the campsite to the arena but screw that I'm not going to miss this year :D
    I just hope theres no sideways rain this year! it definitely wiped me out!
    Have already booked flights but no tickets yet :)

My top tips for DL are to camp up the back, bring ear plugs and not to bother planning on going back to your tent during the day!

Sonisphere is my number 1 festival but its hard to see whos going to beat the DL line up this year.....unless the get PJ & Soundgarden on the same bill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

This will be my first time to go to a festival and my first time travelling to see a band! Been lucky enough for all my favourites to play in Dublin. I wanted to go to Download in 2009 - FNM, KoRn, Marilyn manson, ZZ Top, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Down, Slipknot, Prodigy... Ah! Fukn made for me. But boyf had to work. :rolleyes: Luckliy I've gotten to see most of those bands over here though. Not too impressed with this years line up tbh. I'm pretty much going for Black Sabbath. Forked out €700 but will be totally worth it. Staying in RIP like a fogey, I likes my hygiene and my sleep... Looking forward to all the off stage entertainment and staying in one of these badboys.

main_55867.jpg

Very metal \m/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dear Sabbath Fans, Fellow Musicians and Interested Parties,

At this time, I would love nothing more than to be able to proceed with the Black Sabbath album and tour. However, I am unable to continue unless a "signable" contract is drawn up; a contract that reflects some dignity and respect toward me as an original member of the band. Last year, I worked diligently in good faith with Tony, Ozzy and Geezer. And on 11/11/11, again in good faith, I participated in the L.A. press conference. Several days ago, after nearly a year of trying to negotiate, another 'unsignable' contract was handed to me.

Let me say that although this has put me in some kind of holding pattern, I am packed and ready to leave the U.S. for England. More importantly, I definitely want to play on the album, and I definitely want to tour with Black Sabbath. Since the news of Tony's illness, and the understanding that the band would move production to the U.K., I've spent everyday getting to or living in a place of readiness to leave. That involves something of a task, and as I've tried to find out what's going on with the U.K. sessions, I've realized that I've been getting "the cold shoulder" (and, I might add, not for the first time). Feeling somewhat ostracized, my guess is as of today, I will know nothing of what'shappening unless I sign 'the unsignable contract'.

The place I'm in feels lousy and lonely because as much as I want to play and participate, Ialso have to stand for something and not sign on. If I sign as-is, I stand to lose my rights, dignity and respectability as a rock musician. I believe in freedom and freedom of speech. I grew up in a hard rock/metal band. We stood for something then, and we played from the heart with honesty and sincerity. I am in the spirit of integrity, far from the corporate malady, I am real and honest, fair and compassionate.

If I'm replaced, I have to face you, the beloved Sabbath fans. I hope you will not hold me responsible for the failure of an original Black Sabbath lineup as promoted. Without fault finding, I want to assure everyone that my loyalty to Sabbath is intact.

So here I am. I lay my truth down before you. I'm good to go IF I get a 'signable' contract. I don't want to let anyone down, especially Black Sabbath and all the Sabbath fans. You know I love you. It would be a sad day in Rock if this current situation fell to the desires of a few.

My position is not greed-driven. I'm not holding out for a 'big piece' of the action (money) like some kind of blackmail deal. I’d like something that recognizes and is reflective of my contributions to the band, including the reunions that started fourteen years ago. After the last tour I vowed to never again sign on to an unreasonable contract. I want a contract that shows some respect to me and my family, a contract that will honor all that I've brought to Black Sabbath since its beginning.

That's the story so far.

Stay safe and stay strong.

I love every single one of you.

--Bill Ward

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/12/120202g.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ah ****.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Also As I Lay Dying have apparently cancelled their european tour
    Graspop Metal Meeting
    Before announcing the headliner for Sunday 24 June, first some sad news. AS I LAY DYING won't be coming to Graspop Metal Meeting since they have cancelled their European tour.

Ah ****.

Between this and Tony's illness the promoters have been ****ed over big this year

All of this, and Sonisphere haven't even announced their UK headliners, which I needn't tell you is going to be massive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I wouldn't be worrying too much about Bill Ward yet - from having read the stuff he's sadi before on this I think they are handing him a contract basically saying he's just a session drummer where all he wants is one listing him as one of the original members of the band, and if this is the case I'm 100% behind him, treat the man with some respect, that's all........anyway he sorted out the last tour he did with them and I'm sure he can sort out this......
    Iommi's treatment is the real worry, hopefully it doesn't take too much out of him and he's well on the road to recovery by June......

As I Lay Dying - hmmmm, not to fussed that they've cancelled the Euro tour to be honest....

• Advertisement

Between this and Tony's illness the promoters have been ****ed over big this year

All of this, and Sonisphere haven't even announced their UK headliners, which I needn't tell you is going to be massive.....

I don't know Crue if the Headliners are what the UK papers said this morning, Queen with Adam Lambert singing and FNM I think they are already way behind......and behind other Sonispheres - as much as I love Queen's music that line up isn't a Headline band......we'll see what actually gets announced if it ever gets announced.....

Its definitely Queen so I have to agree that I think Sonis is not going to be as good a line up this year! DL have snaked a number of bands out.

That said I still believe Sonis is a waaaaaay better festival overall in terms of layout, facilities etc!

Fi H wrote: »
    Its definitely Queen so I have to agree that I think Sonis is not going to be as good a line up this year! DL have snaked a number of bands out.

As much as I'd like it to be it's not until they announce it

That means the website's gotta change too, and right now, that's not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Have to say how times have changed. Was at Doni in 90, 92 and 07, 2 of 3 for maiden and the first for Whitesnake. Those days you went in the gate with your 5ltr drums!!! of warm beer before going up on the bank. Pissing to the right, food and beer to the left and only ONE main stage in front. Lay on the bank all day only moving for the warm up bands you might like, in my case Thunder , W.A.S.P etc back up to the bank until the headline act. No jumping from Billy to Jack to see a particular band. Just lay back and enjoy the 10 or so bands on the bill, some you like, some you would never have heard of before but a class day out all the same. Dont like the way Download has taken the MOR mantle. With Monsters you went for the headline act with Download you go anyway rather than the religious experience that it was back in the day. Each to their own I suppose but there was definite electricity in the air with Maiden in 92 knowing that most if not all of the crowd were Maiden fans, I just dont get the same feeling nowadays. In 07 the crowd felt like it was a mixed crowd not a purely Maiden crowd which slightly diminished the atmosphere imo.
    Have to say that flying into East Midlands Airport over Donington is a great feeling. Onto the bus and into the venue in 25mins is excellent.

breffni666 wrote: »
    Have to say how times have changed. Was at Doni in 90, 92 and 07, 2 of 3 for maiden and the first for Whitesnake. Those days you went in the gate with your 5ltr drums!!! of warm beer before going up on the bank. Pissing to the right, food and beer to the left and only ONE main stage in front. Lay on the bank all day only moving for the warm up bands you might like, in my case Thunder , W.A.S.P etc back up to the bank until the headline act. No jumping from Billy to Jack to see a particular band. Just lay back and enjoy the 10 or so bands on the bill, some you like, some you would never have heard of before but a class day out all the same. Dont like the way Download has taken the MOR mantle. With Monsters you went for the headline act with Download you go anyway rather than the religious experience that it was back in the day. Each to their own I suppose but there was definite electricity in the air with Maiden in 92 knowing that most if not all of the crowd were Maiden fans, I just dont get the same feeling nowadays. In 07 the crowd felt like it was a mixed crowd not a purely Maiden crowd which slightly diminished the atmosphere imo.
    Have to say that flying into East Midlands Airport over Donington is a great feeling. Onto the bus and into the venue in 25mins is excellent.

I see we're your coming from but I do think that some events, notably Sonisphere last year and in 2010 showed that a lot of fans still go for the headline, Slipknot drew a HUGE crowd on Sunday (I seen people waiting to get to the front at 10am that morning when the band wouldn't hit the stage before 9pm) and Maiden in 2010 drew a huge contingent of fans alone. In fact, at the event, most people stayed in the camping area for the bulk of the weekend and only bothered to go and see Maiden perform

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

I see we're your coming from but I do think that some events, notably Sonisphere last year and in 2010 showed that a lot of fans still go for the headline, Slipknot drew a HUGE crowd on Sunday (I seen people waiting to get to the front at 10am that morning when the band wouldn't hit the stage before 9pm) and Maiden in 2010 drew a huge contingent of fans alone. In fact, at the event, most people stayed in the camping area for the bulk of the weekend and only bothered to go and see Maiden perform

Then there is still room for a Monsters type of day then. One big mother f**cker of a headliner with support based on the headline act, or similer enough to them. Think Sabbath with Priest with Slayer with Trivium with Amon with Airbourne with 3-4 up and coming and you have one hell of a day?

breffni666 wrote: »
    Then there is still room for a Monsters type of day then. One big mother f**cker of a headliner with support based on the headline act, or similer enough to them. Think Sabbath with Priest with Slayer with Trivium with Amon with Airbourne with 3-4 up and coming and you have one hell of a day?

Yes, I think so, but I think it's a very real fact that (as you mentioned) metal fans are spoiled these days, spoiled for choice and demand more for their money, fans 20 years ago would have been happy with a basic MOR line up and a decent headliner...but not today. Proof when Alice Cooper and Deep Purple tried to restart the MOR one day thing a few years ago and it failed in terms of ticket sales and never happened again.

I'd personally go to see the line up of the 1995 Monsters of Rock tomorrow if it were recreated band for band (if that were possible)

1995monstersofrock.jpg

But I can assure you that a lot of people would consider those bands too old and past it, and ticket sales would suffer, as they'd expect a 3 day weekend, some comedy, some young and unsigned bands, a market stall, some amusements and some smaller bands you feel proud to have seen because you got up before all your mates and sneaked into the tent that was later full to capacity....

I mean, personally I love him, but I don't know how their weren't riots in Donnington in 1983 (second on the bill) when he played....

don-1983-Spread.jpg

How cool would it be to see him at Sonisphere this year?

Anyway, point is, metal fans have changed almost as much as the music and now want a lot more. And those who make up the bulk of ticket sales to festivals are younger and younger every year. And in some cases it's Mum and Dad who fork out for that, not the kid's themselves (I mean have you TRIED getting a paper round in this economic climate lol) so choices have to be made...and bands are chosen for their ability to sell out to younger audiences, because they're considered "rising stars" or because their an "easy sale" and not because they are a pure mix of talent and everyone will like them

I'm confused .... most of those bands you are listing are in fact playing festivals this year :D and have played most years :D so I disagree that they wouldnt attract people!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yes, I think so, but I think it's a very real fact that (as you mentioned) metal fans are spoiled these days, spoiled for choice and demand more for their money, fans 20 years ago would have been happy with a basic MOR line up and a decent headliner...but not today. Proof when Alice Cooper and Deep Purple tried to restart the MOR one day thing a few years ago and it failed in terms of ticket sales and never happened again.

I'd personally go to see the line up of the 1995 Monsters of Rock tomorrow if it were recreated band for band (if that were possible)

1995monstersofrock.jpg

But I can assure you that a lot of people would consider those bands too old and past it, and ticket sales would suffer, as they'd expect a 3 day weekend, some comedy, some young and unsigned bands, a market stall, some amusements and some smaller bands you feel proud to have seen because you got up before all your mates and sneaked into the tent that was later full to capacity....

I mean, personally I love him, but I don't know how their weren't riots in Donnington in 1983 (second on the bill) when he played....

don-1983-Spread.jpg

How cool would it be to see him at Sonisphere this year?

Anyway, point is, metal fans have changed almost as much as the music and now want a lot more. And those who make up the bulk of ticket sales to festivals are younger and younger every year. And in some cases it's Mum and Dad who fork out for that, not the kid's themselves (I mean have you TRIED getting a paper round in this economic climate lol) so choices have to be made...and bands are chosen for their ability to sell out to younger audiences, because they're considered "rising stars" or because their an "easy sale" and not because they are a pure mix of talent and everyone will like them

i was there(Donington 95). f**kin savage gig.

I'm confused .... most of those bands you are listing are in fact playing festivals this year :D and have played most years :D so I disagree that they wouldnt attract people!

I didn't say that, what I said was that even though bands like these did and would attract fans, music fans demand more for their money so that's why we've got three to six stages of bands, three days of music and all these markets and attractions as opposed to a few burger vans, one day in a field and a handful of decent bands

It costs a lot of money to invite all these bands to perform at the festival, and pay them, so burger vans and amusements and market stalls pay a lot of the bill through the rent they pay. But then the promoter has to put forward a certain amount of money, and he can only do that through rising ticket costs, and if ticket costs are rising then there needs to be more provided and a reason to spend that money.

Headliners might attract people to the festival, bring people in, but I assure you there is a real trouble to get bands to play the lower stages - especially decent bands who offer exclusives. Then you've got to worry about the aftershow and the comedians, because other festivals are doing that, and you don't want to be outdone.

People aren't idiots, they don't go to Metallica year in year out because they just want Metallica, a lot of the success is driven through the support and the atmosphere of the festival, as opposed to who's playing

In the 80s they went solely for who was headlining and the atmosphere, nothing else came into it

Music fans are spoil for choice these days, and promoters know it

I wouldn't even be surprised if Sonisphere was cancelled, not because they couldn't get the headliners, but because there was a real problem getting mid level bands to play the main and 2nd stage without promising an exclusive to another UK festival like Bloodstock or Download

• Advertisement

Shinedown are on the lineup too - Copping should really just do announcements on his twitter page at this stage, he's just working out which stage placing they get apparrently....

Dont think sonisphere will be cancelled, they've already booked 2 headliners and are just finalising the third. I think DL have really f**ked them though signing bands out from under them.

Overall Soni is a better festival than DL but i accept that lineup means a lot to people - and have even decided i am yet again going to have to go to both as DL is just action packed with bands i want to see!

I'm heading to Download and Bloodstock at least, Sonisphere too provided all goes well, might be a triple treat of festivals for me this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I'm heading to Download and Bloodstock at least, Sonisphere too provided all goes well, might be a triple treat of festivals for me this year.

Nice, I have my flights and tickets for download, the line up sold it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

1995monstersofrock.jpg

I was there too!!! Savage day. Slept in the Airport and met Slayer the next morning as they went for their plane...

Triple for me too :) although I am doing Lollapalooza instead of Bloodstock! Really hoping for a pearl jam soundgarden 20th anniversary performance :)
    Wishful thinking I know...but stranger things have happened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I can just echo that, no shame in going on your own, some of the best times of your life can be spent at music festivals on your own time. You will see the bands you want to see and be there solely for the music, not stopping at every bar or burger van to drink yourself silly....you can do that anyway, but believe me, without drunk mates to worry about the festival can have a whole lot more potential

think, no longer will you say, damn...i wish i hadn't missed THAT band

FEAR FACTORY....THAT IS ALL....

FEAR FACTORY

Totally agree. Sometimes mates at gigs can be just baggage more than anything. Go on your own and you always meet people and can go nuts right down the front without shame!!

I'm headin to this alone (sort of) this year - 38 year old female - some lads I know from London are playing one of the days and might if I'm good they might let me on stage, so worth the solo trip for that...if anyone wants to go but feels a bit weird about going alone PM me. I don't bite ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Triple for me too :) although I am doing Lollapalooza instead of Bloodstock! Really hoping for a pearl jam soundgarden 20th anniversary performance :)
    Wishful thinking I know...but stranger things have happened :D

not to get too off topic, but went to lolapolooza last year with a couple of mates and it is simply amazing, last years lineup was fantastic but even if it's not full of bands you want to see, its just a brilliant festival, very well organised with plenty to do besides see bands and an unbeatable location, in the middle of one the biggest cities in america! If you're in chicago for a bit, there is so much to see and do also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Europe!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement