Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download - Donington

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Countdown begins now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Europe!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

You're in for a treat, have seen them four times live now, and I wasn't even a fan three years ago....they're phenomenal live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You're in for a treat, have seen them four times live now, and I wasn't even a fan three years ago....they're phenomenal live

I expect a stampede to the stage in time for their encore which i'm sure will include 'The Final Countdown'.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

booked my bus with Eurolines! 70e return! not too shabby!

Yeah they were fantastic at Sonisphere. I think people will be surprised at how many songs they know :)
    I got ryanair flights for about the same price!

• Advertisement

Fi H wrote: »
    Yeah they were fantastic at Sonisphere. I think people will be surprised at how many songs they know :)

They have A LOT of great songs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Looks like theyre putting the finishing touches on the line up with 18 more bands added in the past few days Refused and Skindred taken from the ashes of Sonisphere have been added along with Black Spiders,Lawnmower Deth,Gallows,Silent Descent,No Americana, Six Hour Sundown,Kobra & the Lotus,The Union,Edguy,Rival Sons,Don Broco,Kids In Glass Houses,T. Mills,Four Year Strong,Fearless Vampire Killers,Porter Robinson and Lower Than Atalantis.

I have decided to go I think the lineup is good but as usual the typical "this is the best lineup ever",flies around personally I think Frances Hellfest has the lineup of the year but as I'm off to Poznan to see Ireland play Italy the Monday after that weekend Hellfest wasn't possible went to Graspop and had a great laugh last year decent lineup again this year but the headliners don't do any favours especially when trying to persuade friends to go. Never been to Download but suspect more expensive and clash city it appears as it looks like for example Opeth/Machine Head, Dropkick Murphys/Soundgarden will play at same times. Thoughts on this or the new bands announced??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

poster-520-3.jpg

Refused - Dropkick Murphys - Rise Against :D:D Pity i wont be goin:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Megadeth - Soundgarden - Black Sabbath would be the one to keep me happy there. Solid lineup though.

Tickets arrived today....only 1 month away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Mine arrived earlier in the week. Cant wait now - heading over a day early to get my liver prepared! Anything interesting to do in Derby?

Damnit I bet I end up at the box office again! my tickets always seem to go missing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭hellyeah

Keedowah wrote: »
    Mine arrived earlier in the week. Cant wait now - heading over a day early to get my liver prepared! Anything interesting to do in Derby?

If shopping is your thing, there is a good highstreet with all the usual.
    Much better than stevenage (sonisphere) last year. What a dump.:(
    If all else fails get working on the liver!!:D

tickets arrived today. Thank you Ups.
    Countdown begins.

Keedowah wrote: »

Sorry I'm no use to ya unless if they are to your tastes Ash have a gig lined up in the Venue in Derby not certain but about 10 miles from Castle Donnington on the Thurs (7th).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

I'm not sure if this is against the forum charter or not, sorry if it is!

A friend of mine is looking for a 3-day camping ticket to Download, he only raised the money for it last week to find that they just sold out! If anyone is selling one could you drop me a PM? Thanks

Looks like the Wellingtons may have to be thrown in the bag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 osmund

Going to donington on friday morning 830 flight. anyone interested in hooking up flight from dublin to east midlands....doing the camping thing for the 3 days...

Have fun everyone, I won't be about, but Bloodstock should still be a laugh and help make up for it

Flying out this evening, hope this weather improves. Have fun everyone and be sure to report back here with all your crazy tales of excess etc!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Itching for todays working day to end, on the half 8 flight over tomorrow morning.

Have this keeping me occupied during work yesterday and today: http://downloadfm.co.uk/

Fingers crossed its not lashing when putting up the tent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Off to Mudload this morning! The joys of an hours drive. Gutted I missed Metallica performing the black album yesterday but no way was I giving some tout double/triple the cost of a day ticket (and I hope they all got burned with tickets they couldn't offload).

Looking forward to seeing Black Sabbath :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Download Festival:
    Tickets to Download 2013 for on sale this Friday. One headliner is already confirmed. See you there, yeah? #DL2013

Gonna guess these guys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Download Festival:

Gonna guess these guys

No, It's Maiden, doing the Maiden England set

scudzilla wrote: »
    No, It's Maiden, doing the Maiden England set

Interesting, that would almost assure a certain percentage right there, I was amazed how many people turned up at Sonisphere in 2010 to camp for the entire weekend and just bother to go and see one band - Iron Maiden - a lot of people in VIP camping did that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Interesting, that would almost assure a certain percentage right there, I was amazed how many people turned up at Sonisphere in 2010 to camp for the entire weekend and just bother to go and see one band - Iron Maiden - a lot of people in VIP camping did that alright.

Ah sh!t ... was hoping the Maiden England tour would be arena shows ... but if they've confirmed a headline Donnington appearance - there's a chance that might be all they'll do in the UK for that tour (similar to the Somewhere Back In Time tour - only 1 UK show)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RayCon wrote: »
    Ah sh!t ... was hoping the Maiden England tour would be arena shows ... but if they've confirmed a headline Donnington appearance - there's a chance that might be all they'll do in the UK for that tour (similar to the Somewhere Back In Time tour - only 1 UK show)

My hunch, Download plus a few other Euro festivals, then after hat they'll announce a Nov/Dec 2013 UK Arena tour, seems the typical Maiden thing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Plus Rush are festival exclusives in Sweden, and doing a UK tour in May.

Maiden might interest me to go.

Had an amazing time at this got to see everything I wanted to see with the exception of some bands that clashed obviously. This was my first Download usually hit the smaller fests but due to other plans couldn't attend those didn't want to go the summer without one also the line-up was deadly with Sabbath being the main draw. Heres a rundown of what I took in and what I thought.

Friday
    As even those who were not there probably know by now that the weather was appalling the Wednesday & Thursday night. As we were staying in the brown camp and because of the mud we jokingly renamed the festival "Brownload". This held up the opening of the arena by about an hour an a half two of the bands sets were moved to different times while Rise To Remain were pulled altogether. Usually while the first couple of bands play it gives an opportunity to check out the arena but due to the delay there wasn't a window for this a big reason why all the bands I caught were either on main or second stage. While everyone was queing the Zippo Encore stage opened with...
    Red White & Blues: Pretty much everyone got to witness these guys as we'd no other choice, real classic rock vibe sounded good.
    Fear Factory: Started right as we were making our way in Burtons voice was well shot however really enjoyed the trio of tracks from classic album Demanufacture that closed the set ("Demanufacture","Self Bias Resistor" and of course "Replica")
    NOFX: Really fun and humorous. Joked they were the only band of the weekend that wasn't going to scream at you. Mentioned that that the Cancer Bats had asked them if they could use their equipment for one song...they said NO anyways they delivered their material in style after they were done headed to see Europe but didn't! their stage and equipment was ready to rock...but the band were not it was announced that they were delayed at the airport and would not be playing so with that we caught
    Billy Talent/Cancer Bats(Invaded Set): Was decent even though I think they're meh, unlike NOFX they let Cancer Bats play a song during their set "Hail Destroyer"...really don't get the popularity of that band at all next was
    Machine Head: Only played songs from they're recent 3 albums so might not have appealed to fans who wished to hear some earlier material, didn't bother me as I'd seen them in the Olympia the previous week. Got caught in a circle pit by accident of course...they slayed yet again. The Only thing that troubled me was they clashed with
    Opeth: As soon as MH finished tried my best to dart up the hill to catch the end of their set heard the "Grand Conjuration" so I assumed they were finishing with that but was pleasantly surprised when they didn't and ended with "Deliverance". Also delighted to hear they'll be doing a date in Vicar St. at the end of the year.
    Nightwish: Only went to see these as their was nothing else on of interest and we wanted a good spot for Slash. After it I was ashamed at myself for ignoring them for so long often saw stuff written by fans of the band about how a previous singer was better and the newer one sucked , cant comment if she happens to be better but suck? no chance this girl was an amazing front woman playing with a clearly talented bunch of musicians nice pyro & props too, will definitely be treating myself to their latest release. Great band to open for
    Slash With Myles Kennedy: Absolutely stunning set, played a lot of the new album which I'm still on the fence with however the tracks played fitted nicely amongst the classics particularly "Standing In The Sun" and "Anastasia".
    Finished the night watching the end of the Prodigy who seemed to be on top form, the light show they had looked cool managed to catch the likes of "Diesel Power" and "Smack My..." and a few more, overheard people saying it was the best they've ever seen them as I headed to the exit.

Saturday
    Fozzy:
    The only band I witnessed that the sound wasn't good for drew a big crowd considering the early slot this was mainly due to the fact they were fronted by the wrestler Chris Jericho, feck it thats why we went next up
    Halestorm: On the same stage after Fozzy the crowd had noticeably halved as the wrestling fans went elsewhere. Saw real potential in this outfit singers got a great voice and the drummer was no slouch either. A friend who went to see Corey Taylor later that day mentioned the singer Lzzy joined him for an AC/DC number.
    Ginger Wildheart: Never experienced this band before I know the frontman was in the Wildhearts thats it and they are well quite unusual to say the least. Heavy punk influenced with riffs galore very energetic all members leppin around the stage like lunatics a lot goin on really.
    Turbonegro: Didn't Know what to expect knew they had a new frontman never seen him before even thought Hank was crazy so who did they replace him with? someone crazier kept the punky vibe at this stage that Ginger installed very enjoyable old school punk rock done well ended with a lovely "I Got Erection" singalong with the crowd next headed to mainstage where Trivium were playing Sound was superb for them so fans of the band were sorted I wouldn't be one though.
    Steel Panther: Truly brilliant some people will ignore them due to the blatant stuck in the 80s look and goofy antics or maybe they're offended by their songs. They are missing out great vocal and solos all over the shop, joined on stage by Corey Taylor at the end to perform "Death To All But Metal" also never seen as much boobs at a show in me life. Great music, great laugh.
    Tenacious D:Had a tough act to follow and quite simply couldn't Played too much of their appalling new album an apart from the opener the rest of it bombed, Fine singalongs were to be had for "Kickapoo","F**k Her Gently" and "Tribute" obviously. The trend Steel Panther had started continued with boobs everywhere one of the screen texts when they finished read "Emma I saw you flash your boobs for Steel Panther and the D...it's over bitch" got massive cheers.
    Skindred: Fantastic live band pity they canceled supporting Therapy? for Irish shows earlier in the year so no chance I was missing them even if Corey Taylor was playing at the same time. Sweet set they played too, Opened up with "Ratrace" and continued the momentum all the way to the end getting the crowd to perform their trademark Newport Helicopter (Crowd removes a piece of clothing and swings them wildly above their head) when finishing with "Warning"
    Metallica: Of all the times of seen Metallica previously Only 4 tracks from the black album I never witnessed live so the playing the whole Black Album really wasn't a big deal for me at all, never caught them on the Death Magnetic tour so would've preferred some of that. Loved "The Four Horsemen" and "Hell and Back" sounded brilliant live too digested the Black album then nicely until..."Enter Sandman" here I witnessed the most terrible crowd chant along ever "Metallica Family" etc. Truly horrendous, could have probably got another song in if they hadn't bothered with this feck acting although they did play around 10 mins over the permitted.

Sunday
    Anthrax:
    Nice way to start the final day belted out "Caught In A Mosh" and "Madhouse" to great effect. Might hit the Academy show later in the year or better still try and catch them supporting Motorhead in the UK.
    Sebastian Bach: The only band I saw all weekend that the band members appeared to do their own testing/checking coming on a good 15 r so mins before SB came on, some presence still has the voice too unlike his good friend Axl Rose, Speakers went bout 40 seconds at the end of the first song ("Slave To The Grind") saved by the crowd anyway who sang it off, Majority of the set was the classic Skid Row numbers, would have liked more of his new album as I thought it was one of the best released in 11, hard to believe the lead guitarist is only 18.
    Lamb Of God: Went down well wouldn't be a huge fan all I can be sure of is fans of theirs are certainly in for a treat when they visit the Academy during the week.
    Megadeth: Absolutely Unreal from the moment "Hangar 18" hit third track in I believe it was all uphill from there. One of the best bands of the weekend for me.
    Soundgarden: Out of all the bands I wanted to see before heading I had listened to plenty of their material before going totally forgot to listen to Soundgarden, haven't put on one of their albums in what must be easily 5 years. Really enjoyed them especially "Jesus Christ Pose", "The Day I Tried To Live" and "Black Hole Sun" never sounded that good on CD.
    Black Sabbath: So the day and the whole weekend in fact had been building up to this the closing act and main event, how did it go? talk about saving the best till last from the minute the band hit the stage and Ozzy asked the crowd "what is this..."("Black Sabbath") those in the crowd knew they were seeing something special that they probably won't again, thought for a second they were gonna play the first album in full (first 4 songs played all in album order). The replacement drummer was savage those with No Bill, No Sabbath crew would seriously need their head examined if they couldn't enjoy this. Even Ozzy was on top form and Toni predictably got the amazing response that he deserved. So many Highlights "War Pigs", "Under The Sun", "Children Of The Grave" the lot really the only disappointment about "Paranoid" being played was you realized it was clearly gonna be the last song and the spectacular time was over.

Overall very good weekend had even some of the bands I saw that wouldn't be keen on there wasn't one I left thinkin they were utter ****, would consider goin back if the line-up next year is a patch on it. I would also suspect Maiden to be there next year more than likely headline a fest in the UK next year so Download strong possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fair play to you Wrongway,that's a fantastic write up,makes me actually feel like i missed out by not going.

Advertisement