Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bondi Vs St Kilda

Options
  • 14-01-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Is St. Kilda the Bondi of Melbourne? Is it just full of Irish? I've been told it's about the same distance and transport is similar but I really don't like the cliqueyness of Bondi & was wondering if St. Kilda is the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Essentially yes.
    St Kilda has a big backpacker population as well as other tourists. Also transients from around Melbourne and VIC because there are 2 big charities and a half way house in the form of the Gatwick hotel.
    Lots of arty types like to hang out at the cafes and bars around St kilda also
    Bondi beach is far nicer than St Kilda's offering though, it being a bay beach you never have any surf.
    Somehow everyone seems to get along though and theres never any serious dramas.

Bondi is probably larger in area so it may seem like there's a lot more Irish and backpackers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Essentially yes.
    St Kilda has a big backpacker population as well as other tourists. Also transients from around Melbourne and VIC because there are 2 big charities and a half way house in the form of the Gatwick hotel.
    Lots of arty types like to hang out at the cafes and bars around St kilda also
    Bondi beach is far nicer than St Kilda's offering though, it being a bay beach you never have any surf.
    Somehow everyone seems to get along though and theres never any serious dramas.

Bondi is probably larger in area so it may seem like there's a lot more Irish and backpackers
    Coogee beats the both of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

St Kilda is an absolute dive. The "arty, bohemian vibe" is purely an invention of tourist guides, theres more culture in Kinnegad. The place is infested with meth addicted prostitutes and drunken sunburned GAA jersey wearing gob****es. AVOID.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Bondi is to Muppets what Mecca is to Islam, St Kilda much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

So whats the Bondi of Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Cairns and Canberra? Where do the backpackers flock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

CiaranC wrote: »
    St Kilda is an absolute dive. The "arty, bohemian vibe" is purely an invention of tourist guides, theres more culture in Kinnegad. The place is infested with meth addicted prostitutes and drunken sunburned GAA jersey wearing gob****es. AVOID.

I'd havta disagree. I'm living here at the moment, and am finding it good. Its near the tram lime for me to get to work, has a few decent bars, (although not nearly as good as Fitzroy/Brunswick) restaurants, coffee shops and on your days off you can chill by the beach.

Mind you with the hours I work (40-60 per week) I don't hang hang out to much at night - I'm usually in the CBD.

And in regards to the drug addicts and prostitutes.. well the druggies are harmless and watching the hookers congregate on our corner plying their trade is actually quite fun to watch when their is nothing on TV. We call it 'hooker watch'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

CiaranC wrote: »

Broadly I agree with your post but what is it with people who get so worked up when they see others in GAA jerseys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

lg123 wrote: »
    Broadly I agree with your post but what is it with people who get so worked up when they see others in GAA jerseys!

Oh no, don't open that can of worms!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I never understand the hatred of GAA jerserys and this coming from a person who doesnt own one or has ever played GAA, Well except the Dub one that is:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

astonaidan wrote: »
    I never understand the hatred of GAA jerserys and this coming from a person who doesnt own one or has ever played GAA, Well except the Dub one that is:pac:

its probably like an English person seeing a skin head in pair of union jack shorts, or an american having to deal with "dumb" Americans wondering where the leprechauns are.

It's just something a lot of Irish would prefer not to see when abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

its probably like an English person seeing a skin head in pair of union jack shorts, or an american having to deal with "dumb" Americans wondering where the leprechauns are.

It's just something a lot of Irish would prefer not to see when abroad.

So would the same rule apply to Galway United, Shamrock, Bohemian, Munster & Leinster jerseys aswell, Sayin that I understand the American one, Some of them really arent with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

But everyone hates the above. What Aussie cares if someone is wearing gah colours? tbh the Irish are a nation of jersey wearers at home or abroad for whatever reason. And not just gah/ premiership. tbh at this current minute in Sydney there are probably more Irish lads wearing a Dutch, Spanish or Argie jersey than there are people from those countries wearing them. Meh, so what if the Irish do, they are nice and breezy for a hot climate like this and I prefer it to all that Billabong and Quiksilver shirts anyway, too look at me Im surfing for my liking.

Advertisement