Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrot cake receipe (Darina Allen)

Options
  • 14-01-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all, I used to have a cookery book by Darina Allen called "Simply Delicious" Unfortunately I had to leave it behind :o. I've been searching the bookshops but no joy. As far as I can remember there was a recipe for Carrot cake. I would be really grateful if anyone has the book, if you would post the recipe here, or if you want to sell the book:) Thanks, grasshopper1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I have that book, just pulled it out now to have a look for your recipe but there is no recipe for carrot cake, in fact there isn't even a cake section, closest to it is Puddings & Breads and Jams. I also have her Simply Delicious Christmas book so had a look in there too but no carrot cake their either, Christmas cake and a few other alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

Thanks a lot for you help. I was sure it was her book, Oh well I'll just have to forget it. Bye grasshopper1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We have most of Darina's 'Simply Delicious' books, one of which is called 'Simply Delicious Food for Family & Friends' -- it's the only one that has a recipe for Carrot Cake, but it's called 'Julia Wight's Carrot Cake' I could PM it to you?

edit -- I've PM'd it anyway, there's a good chance it's the one you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mickey Lover

Rachel Allen has one maybe Darina passed it onto her ;) ..... I have RA's one if you need it

Rachel Allen has one maybe Darina passed it onto her ;) ..... I have RA's one if you need it

Thanks a lot for your reply. star-pants sent me the recipe, so I'm a happy camper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have just made this from Darina's 'Ballymaloe Cookery Course', fuming because it looks like a peat briquette. There is something way off with the timings in that book. Every other carrot cake recipe I have looked up recommends minimal cooking (45 mins to 1.15 mins at 150 degrees) and this one is 1.45 to 2 hours at 180? Looks like a rock anyway.

I am peed off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

star-pants wrote: »
    We have most of Darina's 'Simply Delicious' books, one of which is called 'Simply Delicious Food for Family & Friends' -- it's the only one that has a recipe for Carrot Cake, but it's called 'Julia Wight's Carrot Cake' I could PM it to you?

edit -- I've PM'd it anyway, there's a good chance it's the one you're after.

Hi Star Pants,

Could I have that recipe please???

Caroline

Have just made this from Darina's 'Ballymaloe Cookery Course', fuming because it looks like a peat briquette. There is something way off with the timings in that book. Every other carrot cake recipe I have looked up recommends minimal cooking (45 mins to 1.15 mins at 150 degrees) and this one is 1.45 to 2 hours at 180? Looks like a rock anyway.

I am peed off!

Sorry to hear about the disaster, which one did you make? I just looked up her carrot cake, Is this the one?

<http://www.menupages.ie/recipes/rachel_allen/recipedetail.aspx?recipeId=823>

I find the temperature system very difficult to set. I bake bread and have been using the same recipe for over 25 years, but using an electric oven I find it very difficult. 1 or 2 degrees makes a big difference, with gas I never had a problem. Would you think about sending her an email?

Bye,
    grasshopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hi Star Pants,

Could I have that recipe please???

Caroline

Sent via PM

Advertisement