Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAWS Animal Welfare collection

• 14-01-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

I was in The Crescent Shopping Centre yesterday afternoon and came across two young men actively collecting for PAWS Animal Welfare. The founder and principle of PAWS (Gina Hetherington) has stated publicly that she would not collect in areas where there was an active welfare group!

Our own Limerick Animal Welfare is IMHO the hardest working (against the odds) animal welfare society in Ireland.

This infringement on their area should not be allowed!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

<MOD SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

The difference is one is a local animal welfare and other is countrywide. If PAWS have mentioned that they will not go into a area that there is an active registered welfare group then should really honour that promise. For your information I have no connections with either group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

angry kitten banned for one week for breach of the forum charter and personal abuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

' Chuggers ' in general and PAWS Chuggers in particular are as irritating as haemmorhoids while wearing a thong.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Delancey wrote: »
    ' Chuggers ' in general and PAWS Chuggers in particular are as irritating as haemmorhoids while wearing a thong.....

Are you sure you don't mean "Dogs Trust" whom use the same company "Total Fundraising Ireland" as Barnardos, Focus Ireland, Oxfam and Trocaire.

Responded to me on my doorstep when I say "NO" to supporting them "You must really hate dogs so".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

When driving, which way are you supposed to swerve when they're shaking their chugging buckets at the traffics lights again??? :D

- How much of the collected money is spent on pints that night? (Officially or via 'I'm helping myself Jack....')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I'm so sick of being harassed to please support the "Hanley Centre..alcohol and drug addiction" outside Pennys :mad: They really p!ss me off shouting at customers as they pass in and out of the shop. I've never actually seen anyone giving them money, probably beacuse they're so bloody rude

If people only knew just how little collected actually goes to help those in need - those professional fundraisers take a huge chunk.
    Hanley Centre are another crowd I hate - they set up outside the Post Office and badger people leaving , many of these people are on benefits and stretched enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Delancey wrote: »
    If people only knew just how little collected actually goes to help those in need - those professional fundraisers take a huge chunk.
    Hanley Centre are another crowd I hate - they set up outside the Post Office and badger people leaving , many of these people are on benefits and stretched enough as it is.

Utterly true! Monies collected in the area for Limerick Animal Rescue are 100% allocated to that charity, and believe me every cent is used to good effect!.. Personally I find "poachers" from other areas collecting wrong..Perhaps LAW should collect in Sallens and Mullinahone and see how PAWS would react to someone else "on their patch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I saw those young lads yesterday in the Crescent - now I know nothing about the politics about selling in what area but I was impressed at the sales tactics of these young guys. They were doing well :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Utterly true! Monies collected in the area for Limerick Animal Rescue are 100% allocated to that charity, and believe me every cent is used to good effect!.. Personally I find "poachers" from other areas collecting wrong..Perhaps LAW should collect in Sallens and Mullinahone and see how PAWS would react to someone else "on their patch"

If there are different patches for different charities then i think it's a shame. It's the animals that count here not who 'runs' what patch. Whether i'm giving to LAW or PAWS or SCAR, ultimately it amounts to the same thing; i'm helping animals by doing so. That's what counts, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I was in The Crescent Shopping Centre yesterday afternoon and came across two young men actively collecting for PAWS Animal Welfare. The founder and principle of PAWS (Gina Hetherington) has stated publicly that she would not collect in areas where there was an active welfare group!

Our own Limerick Animal Welfare is IMHO the hardest working (against the odds) animal welfare society in Ireland.

LAW is, IMHO, as much a credit to Limerick as Thomond Park. The wonderful ladies that run it deal with what seems to be an unending stream of sick/injured/stray/unwanted animals day in, day out 7 days a week. Plus any money you give to LAW you can be guaranteed goes to help the animals, not to some chugger. The tactics that PAW's use are dirty and underhanded and that is why I will never support them. If you found an injured animal in Limerick City and got onto PAW's I wonder what their response would be? And that goes for everywhere else they seem to be chugging as well. As for LAW they do the best they can with what they have and quiet frankly what they have done is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I'm rather saddened by the fact that although Limerick has (at least) two multi-millionaires occasionally in residence, the Limerick Animal Welfare group are still trying to finish the much needed unit in Kilfinane! These are the very people who should be leading by example - and helping to change the Third World, feckless attitude to animal care in this country ... Grrrh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't mean "Dogs Trust" whom use the same company "Total Fundraising Ireland" as Barnardos, Focus Ireland, Oxfam and Trocaire.

Responded to me on my doorstep when I say "NO" to supporting them "You must really hate dogs so".
    Grrrrr, have experienced this crowd too. Got the same response. Any sign of a clipboard now and I'm closing the door before they open their mouth. Although I'm tempted to let them give their speil as I nod enthusiastically, then just at the critical moment hit them with "but I heff no doog" in a bad foreign accent and close the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

iora_rua wrote: »
    I'm rather saddened by the fact that although Limerick has (at least) two multi-millionaires occasionally in residence, the Limerick Animal Welfare group are still trying to finish the much needed unit in Kilfinane! These are the very people who should be leading by example - and helping to change the Third World, feckless attitude to animal care in this country ... Grrrh :(

There will always be charities which require funding and I think it's unfair to use the wealthier people in our community as the answer to these problems. The below link is these very people leading by example. This was the 2005 donation list and a further €41m was donated in 2010.
    http://www.jpmcmanusproam.com/uploads/files/full_jpMcManus_charity_Book.pdf

This event made a huge difference to the chartities involved and although the proceeds from this event did not reach every charity in the country it did so much for the charities it did reach.

Charity should be contributed to by those who can afford to make a contribution not just those who are the wealthier than others.

There are many charities to donate to and no matter how much money you have you will never reach them all, and if you do you will be criticised that you didn't give enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Someone told me what to say when confronted by a chugger, just say you already have an account. They can't check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Someone told me what to say when confronted by a chugger, just say you already have an account. They can't check!

English/Scottish etc accent saying you have a UK account. They move on quickly enough.

Talking on the mobile and/or having ear phones in does not deter them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BnB

I don't know anything about PAWS, but I would like to back up what has been said by a good few posters here already. Limerick Animal Welfare are a Superb organisation. Nothing, whatsoever on their agenda except the care of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

gufnork wrote: »
    If there are different patches for different charities then i think it's a shame. It's the animals that count here not who 'runs' what patch. Whether i'm giving to LAW or PAWS or SCAR, ultimately it amounts to the same thing; i'm helping animals by doing so. That's what counts, surely?

If you're giving to SCAR or LAW, 100% of your money goes to help the animals. In the case of PAWS, 30% of it is creamed off by the company that employs the collectors.

Plus, PAWS do not help dogs or any other animals in Limerick or Clare, except perhaps once in a blue moon. I would prefer to see my money going to local animal welfare charities who are there to help the poor animals we all see here in Limerick that need help. If you come across an injured dog or a stray, sickly kitten, PAWS can't help you.

boomerang wrote: »
    In the case of PAWS, 30% of it is creamed off by the company that employs the collectors.

I suspect it's considerably more than 30% that goes on ' commission '.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Not sure if they still use them, but this was how the collections worked in the past.

The collection company pay the charity a set fee every month for use of their Charitable Status Number (or whatever it's called) and anything over that amount the collection company keep.

So say for example I set up: Collectors Inc

Collectors Inc approach a charity and say if we can fundraise on your behalf we will guarantee you €2,000 a month.

Collectors Inc goes off and collects all over the country "representing" that charity. No matter what they collect the charity gets €2,000 at the end of the month and Collectors Inc is left with an undiclosed and completely untraceable amount of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Sounds like a good business! (apart from the moral sleaziness, but I hear swimming in a pool of tenners is great way to quell any moral qualms) I'm off out chugging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Dog's Trust do help dogs from all over Ireland & have invested over €10 million here. They also employ many Irish people at their rehoming centre. They also pay out every year for a reduced cost countrywide neutering scheme. They also operate the excellent Canine Care Card scheme.

They could only do this as a result of fundraising. The €10 million came from UK donations where the Dog's Trust's income in over €60 million per year. They can only achieve this level of fundraising because they are highly respected.

As much as I dislike chuggers & support LAW, I suspect that the chuggers have no effect on donations to local charities. The facts are that, as a Country, we donate more to charity pro rata than most other countries but we donate very little to animal charities in contrast to the UK.

Any charity has to decide how to fundraise. Those that use chuggers do so because it is highly effective.
    The founder and principle of PAWS (Gina Hetherington) has stated publicly that she would not collect in areas where there was an active welfare group!

This would be practically impossible as every area will have a rescue of one kind or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    There will always be charities which require funding and I think it's unfair to use the wealthier people in our community as the answer to these problems. The below link is these very people leading by example. This was the 2005 donation list and a further €41m was donated in 2010.
    http://www.jpmcmanusproam.com/uploads/files/full_jpMcManus_charity_Book.pdf

This event made a huge difference to the chartities involved and although the proceeds from this event did not reach every charity in the country it did so much for the charities it did reach.

Charity should be contributed to by those who can afford to make a contribution not just those who are the wealthier than others.

There are many charities to donate to and no matter how much money you have you will never reach them all, and if you do you will be criticised that you didn't give enough.

Thank you for the link to that very long and worthy list of donations. However, I am disappointed that there does not appear to be even ONE animal charity included on the list (please correct me if I've missed something)!

Personally, I donate (in a very small way) equally to two 'animal' and two 'human' charities - more will be added when my Prize Bonds come up ... :)

At least this thread should help to raise awareness re the many animal charities in our midst and possibly help LAW in their efforts to complete the Kilfinane unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Discodog wrote: »

This would be practically impossible as every area will have a rescue of one kind or another.

If it's impossible then maybe she shouldn't have said it?

A long time ago I was approached by a PAWS chugger in a pub and was told that they have shelters everywhere, work everywhere, never turn an animal away etc etc. Anyone knows that charities HAVE to turn animals away, they can't possibly take in everything that comes their way.

A while later I needed help with an animal in Kildare (the county in which they were collecting) and when I rang them for help or advice, I was advised to contact a kildare rescue......

So they can collect in the area but not help in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh I have been told the same by collectors in Barna. The clear implication was that they were local.

Advertisement