Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with jargon/abbreviations

Options
  • 14-01-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm trying to read an energy related document and stuck at the early stages with some jargon

Can someone put some detail into the following, please?

MIC
    PF (as in PF/MIC penalties)
    MD (maximum demand, I guess?)
    QH site consumption
    CUSUM (pretty sure this relates to Control Charts ?)

thanks in advance

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

The only one I'm sure of is MIC: Maximum Import Capacity. Most residential connections have an MIC of 12kva, and I think if you go beyond 30kva you're in a different bracket, or category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved from Electric Ireland forum to Electrical forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

MIC = Maximum Import Capacity

PF = Power Factor - if your power factor is too low the ESB fine you as you are essentially taking power from grid that is not been used/wasted - check out reactive power KVAR

MD = Maximum Demand

not sure of the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

afaik MIC and MD are the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm trying to read an energy related document and stuck at the early stages with some jargon

Can someone put some detail into the following, please?

MIC
    PF (as in PF/MIC penalties)
    MD (maximum demand, I guess?)
    QH site consumption
    CUSUM (pretty sure this relates to Control Charts ?)

thanks in advance

B

MIC - maximum import capacity- this is max kva you have told the supplier you will use at any one time.

P.F. - power Factor - this relates to some machinery not drawing there full load from the supply and in effect tricking the system. the supplier want ths difference kept as low as possible. most machinery is now built with this in mind ( pieface has a better explaination)

M.D. Max. Demand - in larger commercial properties the esb monitor your MIC every 15/30 mins if you are seen to be over your mic you will be charged extra accordingly. it also relates to the particular times of day when electricity is at its highest demand in ireland eg morning and evening. businesses are encouraged to lower there usages at theses times if possible.
    QH - quarter hourly the time interval at which esb monitor your usage

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Great stuff lads (ladies?) thanks for the input; much appreciated

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

M cebee wrote: »
    afaik MIC and MD are the same thing

no there not

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

MIC could be Mineral Insulated Cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

P.F. - power Factor - this relates to some machinery not drawing there full load from the supply and in effect tricking the system. the supplier want ths difference kept as low as possible. most machinery is now built with this in mind ( pieface has a better explaination)

Power factor is actually the factor of amps used in the power of a load compared to the actual amps drawn by the load including the amps not doing any work.

So a 1kw single phase motor will draw about 4.35 amps for the 1kw output(disregarding efficiency). If the motor pf is 0.7, then it will draw about 6.2 amps. There is no tricking of the system. In domestic metering, the extra wattless current drawn is simply not measured, but it is in commercial installations.

Even though only 4.35 amps is doing any work, the electricity provider still has to generate the 6.2 amps.

I wonder will this change for demestic installations at some stage, with smart meters etc.

no there not

whats the difference then

• Advertisement

whats the difference then

The MIC is the maximum agreed loading between for instance, the esb and a customer.

So the MIC is the actual agreed MD. But the actual MD of the consumer for a particular month could be below the MIC.

So MIC should be >= MD

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The MIC is the maximum agreed loading between for instance, the esb and a customer.

So the MIC is the actual agreed MD. But the actual MD of the consumer for a particular month could be below the MIC.

So MIC should be >= MD

i was assuming it was a calculated maximum demand as is often the case

rules 311

i was assuming it was a calculated maximum demand as is often the case

rules 311

Well the MIC is just the agreed MD for sizing the supply KVA i would of thought. The MD can be aquired by calculating it.

i was getting confused alright

-i see now the MIC should be greater than the calculated or measured MD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i was getting confused alright

-i see now the MIC should be greater than the calculated or measured MD

From memory I think its +5% but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

From ESB website:

MIC explained

Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) is the level of electrical capacity contracted between your business and ESB Networks.
    The PSO charge on your bill is based on your contracted MIC level. The unit of measurement for MIC is the kilovolt ampere (kVA).
    You pay a Service Capacity charge based on your MIC, and on some price plans if you exceed your MIC you must pay an excess capacity charge.

Which is why all the local GAA pitches have generators for their floodlighting.

On a side note, I hear that several clubs have had their genny stolen.

Advertisement