Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Wndows 7 ans XP on Wifi/ethernet

Options
  • 14-01-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

I have a Perlico wifi router for broadband with a PC( Windows XP) and network drive (WD) connected by ethernet cable and a new Laptop connected by Wifi.

I want to set up small home network but I cannot see how to mix XP and Windows 7 and also to mix cable and wifo connections.

From the laptop I can always find and write to / read from the WD drive. However sometimes I cannot see the PC or the connected printer while sometines I can.

From the PC I can also see the netwrok drive but not the Laptop.

I can connect to Internet from either computer.

Am I trying to do the impossible in mixing wifi and cable to form a network and also mixing Windos XP and Windows 7.

thanks for reading and any help suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Not at all, many organisations have multiple machines using multiple transmission mediums (Wireless and wired) on the same network using several Operating systems. They can see each other and work together. A linux machine can work with an xp machine on the same network for example.

The issue you are having is probably an IP addressing issue.

Make sure your Routers LAN settings are DCHP enabled and that the PC and Laptop are both configured to recieve their IP automatically from the router.

Next , make sure that both of the machines are on the same Workgroup. to do this on XP right click on my computer , select properties, then computer name and click on change. Select workgroup and name it something you want, 'WORKGROUP' would do fine.

On win 7 open network and sharing center, open change advanced sharing center settings. Make sure network discovery and file and printer sharing is turned on.

exit and restart.

If all this fails please tell me the IP configuration for each machine.

To do this on windows xp go to start/run and type cmd, in the command window that opens type ipconfig /all. (make sure to add the space before the '/all')
    Do the same in Windows 7 (only difference is that instead of run you type cmd in search)

Post all results here and We can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

I will try as you say and let you know if it wors ok

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks CiscoStudent,

While I found that Windows 7 seems to hide so much it was difficult to actually get to the workgroup setting, once I did and set to the correct workgroup everything worked. ( Windows 7 seems to want to use only the homegroup for other win 7 computers )

I am currently playing music on the laptop which is stored on the PC Perfect

really appreciate your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

rock22 wrote: »
    Thanks CiscoStudent,

While I found that Windows 7 seems to hide so much it was difficult to actually get to the workgroup setting, once I did and set to the correct workgroup everything worked. ( Windows 7 seems to want to use only the homegroup for other win 7 computers )

I am currently playing music on the laptop which is stored on the PC Perfect

really appreciate your help

Yep, that's MS dictaiting things again, there was no need to introduce Homegroups, it's just another level of confusion. It could easily have been implemented with Workgroups, just simplify the interface. Other non-Windows devices would still work too. It's part of their vendor lockin, they hope customers will get used to sharing in Homegroups and therefore become trapped into using Windows.

Advertisement