Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tree of Life

• 14-01-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Has anyone seeing this movie: Tree of Life? Apparently it is about questioning faith?

It's it worth a look?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Haven't seen it but I thought the trailer looked awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i asked for, and got my money back, from Xtravision. 20mins of my life i will never get back. too much up its own arshe for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Thought you were referring to some other horrible-looking movie about
    Darwin there... Not that I usually care about reviews but Robert De Niro
    picked it as the winner at Cannes.

The song alone makes this the best trailer in existence, irrespective of
    how it looks... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

It's terrible.

Unrelated - watch Drive if you haven't - trailer does it no justice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Awful, awful, awful movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

5uspect wrote: »
    Awful, awful, awful movie.

Is there any good movies about anyone growing uo and realising religion is rubbish?

The BBC one about Darwin is pretty excellent but a bit heavy...

Is there any good movies about anyone growing uo and realising religion is rubbish?

The BBC one about Darwin is pretty excellent but a bit heavy...

i'm watching http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_buddha_the_story_of_siddhartha/ if that counts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I haven't seen Tree of Life yet, but it's on my shortlist of movies to watch after the rave reviews last year, and everything I've heard about it sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Haven't seen the movie but isn't it meant to have an awesome opening sequence?:confused:

I'm not sure there are many movies that deal with the loss of faith, it's quite the opposite unfortunately.

The Tree of Life is the first movie that I actually considered walking out of, so I have a high tolerance for ****e.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
    It's a remarkably pretentious movie. It revolves around a tedious and dull story about family life in rural Texas.
    All this is interspersed with some cgi of the universe forming and a shockingly clichéd telling of the evolution of life. Then there are the cringy dinosaur bits... the less said about them the better. Eventually everyone flies off into heaven and lives happily ever after.

I know this is supposed to be a very personal work for Malick but it is in no way as deep or thoughtful as it thinks it is I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Didn't Charles Darwin's grandson make some God awful movie about an atheist hero who must contemplate suicide or something? :confused:

Btw, Tree of Life, seems to one of those you love it or hate it kind of movies. Personally, I'm not in the mood for taking the plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I thought it was excellent. There is one or two parts that seem to have annoyed some, the rest of it is so good these are forgivable.The opening scenes are astonishing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The best movie I've seen that deals with faith is Contact, thanks to Mr Sagan. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jesus guys; if you want to watch a terence malick movie, you gotta expect something somewhat removed from michael bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The Seventh Seal.

One of the best movies of all time.

It's about a Swedish knight returning to Sweden after the crusades and the black death has just arrived. It was made in 1958 and it has some of the best quotes and scenes regarding religion and death. You will be amazed after the scene in the church. One of the best in cinematic history.

jesus guys; if you want to watch a terence malick movie, you gotta expect something somewhat removed from michael bay.

The thing is, I don't mind difficult movies. I quite enjoy a slow, thoughtful film.

5uspect wrote: »
    The thing is, I don't mind difficult movies. I quite enjoy a slow, thoughtful film.

Then see above.

There are jesus guys in this thread? :pac:

Has anyone watched The Seventh Seal yet.

Sindri wrote: »
    Has anyone watched The Seventh Seal yet.
    When you say "yet", do you mean since 1958 or since 10:13pm last night when you recommended it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

In terms of Critics reviews, they all seem to be good for Tree of Life.
    From people I actually know, they mostly said it was quite crap in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I turned it off after an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You won't find or loose God during this movie, you might however lose your will to live somewhere during the two hours it drones on for.

I enjoy complicated,demanding movies if I can find some thread of intelligence or a point within them and I'm willing to work to find it. For me this film lacked any narrative what so ever so it was very difficult to take anything much from it. It's fragments of the lives of a family of young boys and the world revealed through the eyes of one of them particularly. I thought there was something genius in the way that so much, a strong essense of their emotional reaction to the small trials and tribulations of ordinary life and their feeling for their mother and their relationship with the father was communicated so subtly without saying a word...almost ever. The entire film is all knowing looks. For me it really captured something of the hazy way the world is during childhood and that was the only thing it stood out for in my eyes. The kids deserved Oscars really.

Watch it if you're content with two hours (it'll seem longer) of some nice directorial work and some lovely cinematography without any real story at all but if youre looking for something engaging or deeply meaningful you're out of luck.
    How it got all those "life changing" reviews I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yes, because there is absolutely no middle ground between those two directors.

Dades wrote: »
    When you say "yet", do you mean since 1958 or since 10:13pm last night when you recommended it? :)

I think the greatest director of all time would resent that.

Tis a brilliant movie anyway, Death is depicted dressed in an all black spandex leotard.

I actually have not seen 'The Seventh Seal' yet but it's been on my 'to do' pile since forever.
    By forever, I mean since I saw this:

Galvasean wrote: »
    I actually have not seen 'The Seventh Seal' yet but it's been on my 'to do' pile since forever.
    By forever, I mean since I saw this:

You've got to watch it and then we can stay up the whole night discussing it.

Sindri wrote: »
    I think the greatest director of all time would resent that.
    He'd resent me asking you to clarify your post? :pac:

Dades wrote: »
    He'd resent me asking you to clarify your post? :pac:

I thought you were implying that no on had seen it since 1958.

So clarify YOUR post.(Need new emoticons to adequately depict my emotions on this matter)

• Advertisement

Here's the bit from ToL with dinosaurs:

It's supposed to represent the origins of empathy or something bogus like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

There's a thread on it here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079885&page=13

Funny, I've just been having a discussion about this film over there on the Film Forum. I did see it, and found it pretentious, po-faced and self indulgent. Amazing visuals in parts, but goddamn tedious. Opinion on the film forum seems to be split

Does any body get a traumatic image of Steven Segal when they read the word seal in a movie context? :(

Galvasean wrote: »
    Here's the bit from ToL with dinosaurs:

It's supposed to represent the origins of empathy or something bogus like that.
    WTF. They (almost) managed to made dinosaurs boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its an odd movie in that its really, really pretentious and slow moving, its a film students pretentious wet dream. but it looks absolutely stunning, anyone interested in cinematography or the visuals of movies will love it. its like a 2hr screensaver. the universe creation sequence is something I really wish I could have seen on a big screen, it was have been amazing to see in IMAX or something

the good bit starts about 1.50 in

krudler wrote: »
    Its an odd movie in that its really, really pretentious and slow moving, its a film students pretentious wet dream. but it looks absolutely stunning, anyone interested in cinematography or the visuals of movies will love it. its like a 2hr screensaver. the universe creation sequence is something I really wish I could have seen on a big screen, it was have been amazing to see in IMAX or something

the good bit starts about 1.50 in

That's meant to be the creation of the universe?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Buggerall happening over the space of f*ckin' ages? Seems fairly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Jernal wrote: »
    That's meant to be the creation of the universe?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

well yeah, the big space wizard is in the directors cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The problem with “loss of faith” movies is that a lot of them double as coming-of-age movies, and they’re full of adolescent angst and alienation. It was bad enough being an adolescent without having to watch it over and over again. So, no thanks.

That narrows the field a lot, but there are one or two that occur to me.

“Priest” (the 1994 film with Linus Roache, not the 2011 film with Paul Bettany) is worth a look. It deals with a priest who has to let go of the rigid conservative beliefs and attitudes with which he attempts to offset his own homosexuality. But the film is about the loss of a particular kind of faith than about the loss of faith generally; the question of what - if anything - the title character comes to accept place of his old faith is left open.

There’s a film I haven’t seen, “The Sunset Limited” which is an adaptation of a play by Cormac McCarthy, consisting of a dialogue between an atheist and a believer who, having saved the atheist’s life, is now trying to save his soul. I don’t know how it resolves but, since this is Cormac McCarthy we’re talking about, the insights will be interesting and the ending will be bleak. If anyone else has seen it, I’d be interested to know what they thought of it.

Advertisement