Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiled Ham in Coca Cola or Roast Ham in Coca Cola?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Has anyone on here tried this? Want to get the publics advice on which is the better method for cooking ham in Coca Cola? I'm going to try cooking one of them today.

Please do post recipes for it too. :)

Which method is better? Or tastier? 5 votes

Boiled Ham in Coca Cola?
    0% 0 votes
    Roast Ham in Coca Cola?
    60% 3 votes
    Both taste the same.
    40% 2 votes
    Dont like the idea.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You can't roast something in liquid. Roasting is dry heat. Maybe you mean braising?

I have done this before, and I boiled the ham in coke, then glazed it and roasted it.

It tasted good but I felt it wasn't worth it because the coke created such a massive mess. Black sweet syrup everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I thought it sounded disgusting till I tried i t, but now we always make our hams that way! I make it the same way as the above poster. It doesnt really taste like coke....just a really gorgeous glaze to it. It's definitely worth a try once!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did it this way this year following a Nigella recipe I found on the net, and will use it again as it was delicious! It looks disgusting when you first bring the ham up to the boil as the usually fairly innocuous looking scum that rises to the top to be skimmed off is black and looks more like an oil slick, but after that things settle down.

Now, I didn't use the cooking liquid in the glaze but made my own (marmalade, mustard etc.) so didn't have a black sticky mess when I roasted it, but I did save it and followed a hint on the recipe page to cook my red cabbage in the cooking liquid which turned out quite good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

I have done this before, and I boiled the ham in coke, then glazed it and roasted it.

Yea thats what i meant, glazing it and then roasting it. :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. :) Had it boiled in coke yesterday, it was fair nice.

Advertisement