Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vital topics in Biology/chemistry/business?

• 14-01-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

So my mocks are in 2 weeks and I've done very little so I'm trying to just study the main stuff so that I'll pass!

For Chemistry I'm thinking of just studying Organic Chemistry, atomic theory, volumetric analysis (both a/b and o/r), Oxidation and Reduction and the experiments. Is this enough to pass HL Chemistry?
    For Biology I know that Ecology is a must, but what else is necessary to learn for a HL D3?
    And for Business I have no idea what to study tbh, the course is so daunting. I was thinking of maybe just studying the units that our ABQ is based on?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

For Biology the five most important ones are probably Ecology, genetics, human reproduction, photosynthesis and respiration. Remember that units 1 and 2 are more important. But structure of plants if you have time too.

I would imagine your probably pretty safe with chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Biology: Sections 1 and 2, and the experiments, make up 80% of the paper. While most people find Section 3 more interesting, there's a huge amount of material for something that doesn't make a big appearance on the paper.

The sections that almost always come up are Ecology, Genetics, Photosynthesis/Respiration and Reproduction. Do those, as many experiments as you can cover, and the other bits of Sections 1 and 2 and you should be fine! :)

Chemistry: If you cover all the experiments, that's the first 3 questions covered. Organic Chemistry should give you at least 1 other question. Equilibrium might be something to consider, if you get the hang of it its a short enough question and the theory that comes along with it has been quite repetitive over the last few years.

And remember, they're just the mocks, if you do get stuck with not enough questions to answer on the paper at least you'll be motivated not to let that happen in the real thing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Business question on the EU is usually guaranteed. Could be a long question or a short one, and just ask you to name 3 institutions ;) Though it's really boring it does come up. I think Management might come up too, like the skills, activities.. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Business - my teacher says that around 70% of the exam is on the ABQ units so yeah you should be grand with them :P Know them inside out though! And even just have a read of the whole book if you've time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

For Business, the long qs number 1 is just law of contract, service groups etc and the legislations. not a bad old question really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 cianserian

haha if you get all that chemistry done before your mocks you must be some kind of study genius! :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

What exactly are units 1 and 2 in bio? :/ My book just divides the course into the cell and the organism...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Thanks everyone for the help!

cianserian wrote: »
    haha if you get all that chemistry done before your mocks you must be some kind of study genius! :L
    Well I know that I won't get it all done, but what harm in being optimistic! :D
    Namlub wrote: »
    What exactly are units 1 and 2 in bio? :/ My book just divides the course into the cell and the organism...
    Unit 1 is the Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food and Ecology
    Unit 2 is the Cell, Respiration and Photosynthesis
    Unit 3 is everything else - all the human and plant Biology. :)
    Of course Unit 3, the only one that's remotely interesting is the least important one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

can anyone tell me for both chemistry and biology, what parts of the course can you cut out entirely? What areas to teachers often advise their students to leave out?

I am an external student and at the moment i'm only about half way through covering both subjects, need to do some serious topic prioritisation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 banter212

hollingr wrote: »
    can anyone tell me for both chemistry and biology, what parts of the course can you cut out entirely? What areas to teachers often advise their students to leave out?

I am an external student and at the moment i'm only about half way through covering both subjects, need to do some serious topic prioritisation!

For chemistry ethene or ethyne is almost definetly going to make an appearance, the water of crystalisation experiment is tipped for Q1. I'd also advise doing the hydocarbons and fuels Q ( on every year) as is atomic. It's difficult to know what to leave out but due to the introduction of bans last year on certain chemical the preparation of ethanal and ethanoic acid can no longer be carried out so probably won't feature :)

As for biology, you can leave out the extraction of DNA experiment and probably the senses. The first 2 units and human reproduction would be the most important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

hollingr wrote: »

I'd leave nothing out in Biology. Last year in Biology they went against all predictions and went for a completely novel paper that screwed over anyone relying on predictions.

As for chemistry, they rarely ask about some of the more obscure sections of the course such as spectroscopy or gas/HPLC/TLC chromatography. Electrochemistry almost never makes an appearance either (Although the electrochemistry experiments were tipped last year!). Focus on organic chemistry as that's where the bulk of the marks are to be found.

Advertisement