Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Fran79 wrote: »
    I didn't think to ask them untill after I had put the phone down to be honest. I was still a bit shocked by the news that there was nothing on for me. I phoned up assuming that I would be told that there was a bit of a backlog or that my appt was such and such a time and that the letter was in the post.

Hopefully now they will keep a special eye on you!

Finally felt a proper kick this morning!! I raced down the stairs and when I lay down straight after, the top of my bump got soft but the bottom was rock hard and i got a proper kick. Later on, you could actually see the bump move. I have waited soooooooooo long to feel that. Happiest smiling eejet so I am

On the flip side, I am having trouble mentally dealing with the weight gain. I have no idea how much I have actuially put on and while I know its for the best reason, I am feeling like a fat, unsexy, wobbly whale. My ankles have disappeared and I cant stop thinking about how unattractive I must be. I was never totally happy with my body but this is on a different level

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I'm with u on the weight front. This is baby no. 2 and i was all bump on no.1 until the end when i just had so much fluid built up up!! But i'm all ass, back fat and hips this time!! I keep wondering if my maternity jeans will fit me for much longer!! I'm not exercising like i did last time either....my back is sore (well more like nerve spasms in my ass) so its hard to walk sometimes. I had a wedding yesterday and shopping for a dress was a nightmare. i borrowed a dress from my sister (she used to be a size bigger than me but lost loads of weight recently:-)) and i felt pretty in it for the first time in ages. I also bought a lovely top in new look and felt nice again today. It has made a difference to how i feel about how i look (at least for the last 2 days!)
    I keep reminding myself that as long as baby is healthy that that is the important thing so really not going to get too hung up on it. Just afraid i'll soon only fit into trackie bottoms!!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Hi all,
    Hope all you ladies had a fab long weekend. We went shopping for our first few baby bits today. Gosh, it makes the whole thing incredibly real. Got some lovely babygros and vests for the hospital bag. They are so tiny! Can't believe in 16 weeks ill have a little person to fit into them all!

Picked up a cradle and Mises basket off my sister today too. So crazy seeing them in my spare room. Hope the next 16 weeks flies. Hope you are all doing well out there guys. Stay safe xx

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Minty Doris, totally agree with you on the weight gain, far from craic! I had lost over 2 stone well before I got pregnant so to see the poundage go back up was quite difficult! :eek: I'm consoling myself with regular walks and generally trying to keep fit. I think that if OH and myself are in the routine of walking every evening, we have some hope of keeping it going when baby arrives! The kicks are magic aren't they? :D Our little messer LOVES kicking me in the belly button which feels weird, but I love it!

Oueen of Shebs: you are so right, a new top etc. and dolling up can make a huge difference. I felt like an elephant on Friday, went to shopping centre bought a t-shirt for €8 in DP and wore it on saturday with make-up etc. Felt a million times better!

Supadupafly: the tininess is astonishing!!!!

Well its the start of another week, can't belive I'll have 27 weeks down on Friday! Feeling a little nervous about starting the 3rd trimester, I think I am getting a little bit slower and tireder already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Hope everyone is doing well.

Emmab, still thinking of you and hoping that all is well.

Sometime during the night baby moved from a transverse position to what feels like head down. Yesterday I was feeling kicks on the left, punches lower right and hiccoughs on the right side but now the hiccoughs are down low and kicks are up at the top of the bump. Hope he/she stays that way now.

We're still trying to sort out our antenatal and birth care with the HSE, but at least they have finally scheduled the meeting we agreed to nearly two months ago :) It's not like there is any urgency or anything!

But we're doing fine without them. Went to my GP (who's 100% behind us) for a check up yesterday and everything is spot on.

Other than that experiencing the same weight gain as the rest of you. Just trying to eat as healthily as possible and avoid "filler" foods because I was already carrying extra weight before the pregnancy.

Only about 16 weeks to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Hey Squiggler, thanks for thinking of me. I don't really have any good news. I woke up at 2 am on Friday night and was bleeding. I went straight into Rotunda where I was assessed and kept on a ward until the consultant could see me in the morning. The bleeding was a bit less and he said he was happy to discharge me until Tuesday. This morning, there was a lot of blood on my pad but it was watery as if the blood had mixed with the amniotic fluid and spread more. I rang the hospital again and the midwife told me to wait and see how things progressed this morning and to come in if it didn't stop or I got other complications. It is such a worrying time.

Emmab :(. Keeping you all in my prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Keeping you and your little one in my prayers as well Emmab. Hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Oh emmab. Had been thinking of you too & wondered how u were doing. I do hope the bleeding has stopped by now for you and is one less thing for you to worry about hopefully. Big hugs xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

I'm not exercising like i did last time either....my back is sore (well more like nerve spasms in my ass) so its hard to walk sometimes.

Queen of Seebs- ass spasms, I'm crippled with them, I'm doing Pilates stretches and getting rubs of hubby, but not getting much relief? Have you found anything that works. I mentioned it to my midwife on my last appointment but she couldn't really help with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I've an appointment with physio in the hospital tomorrow. Consultant referred me last week. Surprised that i got an appointment so soon! Will let u know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi all

Having my 20 week scan tomorrow (at last, will be 25 weeks tomorrow too!!)
    Cant wait - really excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Squiggler wrote: »
    Emmab :(. Keeping you all in my prayers.
    elaney wrote: »
    Keeping you and your little one in my prayers as well Emmab. Hopefully the bleeding will stop soon.
    jeeney wrote: »
    Oh emmab. Had been thinking of you too & wondered how u were doing. I do hope the bleeding has stopped by now for you and is one less thing for you to worry about hopefully. Big hugs xxx

Hey everyone, just a quick update. I had another scan yesterday at 25 weeks. My little baby is considered small. He weighs 1lb but should be 1.5lb. Also the amniotic fluid had dropped to a pool of 1.5 cm when it had been at 3.6. But...i had gushing the night before so I blame that.

The results from the amniocentesis are not back yet. They imagine it will be back on Friday so I have another appointment then and I just have to wait til then to hear back.

The staff in the Rotunda are lovely but I have to admit that I have begun to dread going there as I only ever receive bad news. In fairness to them, the midwives are so upbeat and the sonographer is empathetic also but the consultant makes me die a little inside every time he gives a prognosis.

I hope all your little bumps are cooking away nicely for the next three months or so - just as they are supposed to!!!!

oh Emmab, I don't know what to say, your little one is such a fighter. I keep you in my thoughts and I'm sure all of us have our fingers crossed hoping that you'll get some good news soon. How many weeks are you now?

emmab, I feel for you so much. Hoping that the results won't bring more bad news on Friday.

As to the weight estimates, just remember they are only that. There are so many reports on here of women being told at scan to expect a bruiser and giving birth to a 7 pounder or being told baby was small and having a 10 pounder.

As before, keeping you in my prayers. *hugs*

Enjoy your scan today Fran79. Feels like ages since i had mine not back in hospital until 30 weeks.

Emma, fingers crossed everything will be fine on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sunshine2000

Emma I hope Friday brings u good news and that u can get on with your pregnancy. Babies go through growth spurts all the time and I'm sure that's what is going to happen to your baby. Pregnancy is definitely a rollercoaster of emotions. Thinking and praying for you and your baby x

I have hospital app with midwives tomorrow. Reading a book called "ina May's Guide to Childbirth" I would have been all on for an epidural, now I just don't know! I've so many questions for them tomorrow and I don't want to come across as a tree hugging hippy or a contrary mary! (if ye know what I mean?!) So far my list of questions includes, will i be able to eat and drink during labour, will I be shaved (down below, it says in the book that they sometimes do this - I do not want a blade near my nether regions!), who can be at the birth, I think I'd love to ahve my mam there (she knows EVERYTHING ;)!) All the tests I got at 12 weeks: no one has ever told me the results of them - no news is good news I suppose!

Are glucose tolerance tests routine? I hate needles, although by I now I think I'd suffer anything to protect bump!

All of those are reasonable questions, and I'd be very surprised if they take issue with you asking them. Depending on the hospital you might also want to enquire what their policies are regarding rupturing the membraines, episiotomy, and internal monitoring during labour.

The best advice I can give you is to start researching birth plans now, draw one up with your preferences, and discuss it with your practitioner.

If I haven't been written off as a contrary mary you surely won't be ;)

Remember, this is your body and your baby and it is very important that you are comfortable with everything that happens during the process, and that includes understanding what is being done and why, and having given permission for it to happen.

Thanks Squiggler! I'm a bit worried as I'm going public and my care is going to be midwife led, I's always thought to myself that "sure the hospital knows best" and that I'd leave myself into their hands! After reading bits of the book I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not afraid of giving birth, but now I see that I'd like to give birth the way I want to! Hoepfully I'll be able to do that! I'll report back tomorrow! :D

• Advertisement

Just re-read my post, can't beleive that I'm actually going to give birth, to a person, a tiny little person, it's mad! ;):D

Thanks Squiggler! I'm a bit worried as I'm going public and my care is going to be midwife led, I's always thought to myself that "sure the hospital knows best" and that I'd leave myself into their hands! After reading bits of the book I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not afraid of giving birth, but now I see that I'd like to give birth the way I want to! Hoepfully I'll be able to do that! I'll report back tomorrow! :D

Midwife-led care is probably the best option for having the most choice as the midwives seem generally more inclined to let nature take its course and let mothers listen to their body more. Consultants tend to be more inclined to active management and unnecessary intervention.

Best of luck with the appointment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Sorry to hear this Emma. Will be thinking of you Friday.

This past week bump has started to feel stretched, uncomfortable and in the way! Finding it really uncomfortable to sit at my desk in work and find a position that works for more than a couple of minutes before I start squirming and readjusting! Also find it hard to get comfortable at night in bed and have definetely developed the pregnancy waddle when walking!

Is it just me or do some people tend to just stare at pregnant women? Maybe I do it and don't realise!

I have hospital app with midwives tomorrow. Reading a book called "ina May's Guide to Childbirth" I would have been all on for an epidural, now I just don't know! I've so many questions for them tomorrow and I don't want to come across as a tree hugging hippy or a contrary mary! (if ye know what I mean?!) So far my list of questions includes, will i be able to eat and drink during labour, will I be shaved (down below, it says in the book that they sometimes do this - I do not want a blade near my nether regions!), who can be at the birth, I think I'd love to ahve my mam there (she knows EVERYTHING ;)!) All the tests I got at 12 weeks: no one has ever told me the results of them - no news is good news I suppose!

Are glucose tolerance tests routine? I hate needles, although by I now I think I'd suffer anything to protect bump!

It may vary from hospital to hopsital but speaking as someone who has given birth twice at Holles Street I will try to answer your questions from my experience!

They don't encourage you to eat during labour in case you need you need to go under general aneasthetic. I was able to drink water, not sure what their policy is on other drinks. For a vaginal delivery they do not shave you as a matter of routine not sure about a c-section. You can chose whoever you want to be at the birth, but only one birthing partner allowed. They don't tend to contact you with your results unless there is a problem but all results should be placed on your file which you have access to. The glucose tolerance test is not routine. :)

phew! I was having a freak out about the shaving! silly compared to all the other things one could or shoul worry about!!

Vel, I know what you mean re: the staring, but I've also noticed that people are a LOT more courteous to me since I got the bump and I've gotton a lot more smiles! I've gotton a lot of bump rubs (mostly from people I know fairly well) which I love, I think its sweet the way people want to say hi to bump, but thats just me, I can see how it could get annoying.

phew! I was having a freak out about the shaving! silly compared to all the other things one could or shoul worry about!!

To be honest, talking about it now I don't like the thought of it but during the throes of labour they could have told me they were wheeling me outside to Merrion Square where they were going to hold a raffle with the prize being the chance to shave me and I would have agreed to it if it meant speeding up the process and getting the baby out!

I don't think any of the hospitals go in for routine shaving any more, it had no practical purpose beyond making it easier for them to see what was going on and only increased risk of infection for Mum (and discomfort during recovery with itching etc). They used to administer routine enema's too - nice!

Vel, t's funny how everyone is different. I wouldn't like anyone (other than hubby and people who have to like midwives etc.) touching or rubbing the bump.

We're still trying to decide whether we want to get a gender determination scan done. When he thinks yes I think no and then I change my mind but so does he :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Emmab sending you good vibes for Friday - hope you are feeling ok.

Had my scan (they were running over 2 hrs late and the sonographer thought I was there for a booking scan at 12 wks and 3 days - rolls eyes)

All good news, looks like I'm having a boy so a little brother for my current boy. My boy was delighted to watch the scan screen, I think it seems a biy more real to him now lol.

Hope everyone is well

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sunshine2000

Hey ladies, this is a question for anyone living in Dublin or who knows Dublin. We plan on going for a night away to Dublin next month and I hope to have a sneaky look at the furniture collections in mamas and papas but from looking at the website I see they're are three stores, Arnotts, Blanchardstown centre and Dundrum town centre. As we'll only have time to go to one I want to visit the best one, any ideas on which store is more worth while?
    Hope everyone is doing ok. I feel the time has starting to crawl again but I'm sure it will fly by.
    Has anyone started thinking of the hospital bag yet, my mother is starting to put the pressure on me to get it sorted. I feel if I had a final list made of what I need I could relax.
    Emma thinking of you and your precious baby today! X

• Advertisement

Congrats on the boy Fran79. I hope to find out gender of babs at my next scan.
    I haven't even thought of hospital bag Sunshine2000, the last time i packed it around 32 weeks. I have absolutely nothing bought for this baby so i must get my act together. I have all the big stuff like pram and crib ect...
    I used the list they gave me in the hospital for my bag and added in what little bits i needed extra i was only in for two nights so didn't use half of it.

Advertisement