Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Vel, I have to agree with Elaney. To the Mat. Hosps we're just items on a conveyer belt.

It's a pretty dire situation when visits to the hospital are less reassuring than if you hadn't gone. Measurements (from bump feel) are guidelines at best, so I wouldn't let that concern you. If baby is lying transverse then Fundal Height can be lower than expected. Babies also grow in fits and spurts.

If you were feeling stressed at the appointment that can cause your and baby's heart rate to increase.

Your gp will probably monitor baby's heart rate if you go to see her, and check the other stuff.

We were informed on Friday that a meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday afternoon to (hopefully) finally give us an answer on our homebirth application. 3 whole days notice for work, in spite of the fact that I have repeatedly told them that my company requires 4 weeks notice in writing! This better be the last meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Good luck Squiggler on Wednesday. Fingers crossed your application is approved. Doesn't surprise me about not giving you notice. I have been
    waiting a year and a half for my two year old to have a small procedure completed. In the last two weeks this has been cancelled three times now i have no idea when it will be done. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Vel wrote: »
    I left feeling more confused than when I went in and I could shoot myself for not asking more questions but I just wanted to get out of there and away from him. I don’t know if I should be worried about the baby’s heart rate or not, as surely they would have kept me in if they were concerned. I get lots of movement with this baby but now I’m a nervous wreck if I haven’t felt any for a while and I got what I thought were Braxton Hicks last night but as he is telling me its too early for them, I am wondering if I should be worried about these pains. Argh

Sorry for the essay! I’m going to ring my GP to have a chat later and see what she says but I do regret not asking more questions when I was in the hospital. My mind just seemed to go blank. I hate hospitals and doctors and have white coat syndrome and will do anything to avoid having to prolong my time with a medical professional!! My main worry is if movement is causing the heart rate to go mad now, what the hell is it going to be like when the baby is making its way out!

Vel, you poor thing. There is nothing more stressful than walking away from a scan and wishing that you had asked more questions. Especially when you think they weren't forthcoming with 5 gold stars for the progress of your pregnancy.

I have had a trace every day for the last week and yesterday my baby had an elevated heart rate 170-180bpm and sometimes as low as 130bpm for 1 hour. The midwife told me earlier during the week that they would worry if all they saw was 140-150bpm every day on the trace because that would not be normal. The thing to remember is, if you are stressed and anxious -i.e. white coat syndrome - the baby will pick up on it. So, there is a chance that your worrying caused the babys heart rate to go up and it could be as simple as that :)

Ring your gp and if you are still worried, go for a private scan. No point stressing when you don't need to.

Also, my sister-in-law is a professional baby making factory and she assured me that she had Braxton-Hicks contractions as early as 25 weeks on 3 of her babies so it is possible to have them now.

What I have learned is that if you want reassurance ask a midwife not a consultant - they seem to have a knack of giving you ok news in a way that makes you feel terrible :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Squiggler wrote: »
    So we've got

Taxus baccata: 6th Sept
    Dollyb: 11th Sept
    sunshine 2000: 12th sept
    jeeney: 17th sept
    Emer_b: 21st sept
    emmabrighton: 24th sept
    squiggler: 24th sept
    elaney: 28th sept
    Supadupa: 29th Sept
    Queen of sheebs: 29th sept
    fran79: 30th sept
    Vel: 30th sept
    minty doris:??
    trishka: ??

Pretty cool! I thought I remembered that you and I had the same EDD emmab, think you might be having your baby first though. :D

Woohoo, its great to see all our dates. Squiggler, you are 24 Sept too? Hehe I wonder will I make it to the EDD? I was told by a midwife yesterday that someone with PPROM - just like me- ended up going 2 weeks over. So I could be in the Rotunda until October :eek: God help me!

I got a doppler scan this morning and got my first scan photo in 11 weeks. Delighted with myself. My baby has chubby baby cheeks!

Keep on cooking ladies. x

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Vel, so sorry to hear that you are now more confused than before you went to the hosp. And I really don't know why they didn't just do a quick scan there and then besides giving you conflicting advice on baby's measurements. I hope you get to chat with your doc today.

Just re the braxton hicks, I don't think it's too early at all to be getting them. I started getting them this time at 21/22 weeks (second pregnancy) and I am getting loads of them now. I'm 29 weeks. But I also think it's different for everyone when they do get them. Again, ask your doc about them for reassurance. Good luck xx

Emmabrighton - great to hear you sound in good form anyways for someone stuck in hosp! And I'm sure it was great to hear baby's hearbeat and get some pics. Great to hear things going well for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks elaney, we're keeping our fingers and toes crossed that we get the answer we want. But at this stage we'll just be happy to have any decision.

Emmab, yep, also due 24th :) Will be interesting to see how accurate our estimates are. I hope that you're not still in hospital in October, but, I would imagine the hospital won't let you go over unless you want to. How are you feeling anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks everyone for the comments and especially to Emma. Your experience with your own little one's heart rate has reassured me. I could kick myself for not speaking up and asking questions, as I'm not usually shy about coming forward but all I wanted to do was get out of there.

Rang my doctor and she wasn't much help really! Said that if they didn't keep me in then they obviously weren't too concerned. She is going to do my bloods this week to check iron levels, rather than have me wait until my next hopsital appointment.

Sickness seems to be slowly creeping back. Dad gave me a lift into work this morning and I had a bag handy to get sick into but it had a few small holes in the base and it all seeped out onto my coat before I realised! Nice :eek:

We were informed on Friday that a meeting has been scheduled for Wednesday afternoon to (hopefully) finally give us an answer on our homebirth application. 3 whole days notice for work, in spite of the fact that I have repeatedly told them that my company requires 4 weeks notice in writing! This better be the last meeting!

So, about 30 minutes ago I get a text from the HSE telling me that tomorrow's meeting (which was to be at 4.30) has now been rescheduled to 2pm. There is no way I can take a half-day at such short notice.

And they still haven't told us what the meeting is about, or given us any clear indication that it will actually be worthwhile. The last one was useless, well, aside from the fact that it highlighted that they actually hadn't done their jobs properly and giving them a kick in the pants to get some stuff done.

I am so annoyed. I'm beginning to really hate this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Vel wrote: »
    Sickness seems to be slowly creeping back.

Same :(

Squiggler - My heart goes out to you. I dont know how you haven't flipped at this point

Thanks Minty Doris, I came pretty close to flipping yesterday :rolleyes: Trying to keep calm though, for my sake and baby's. Meeting is going ahead without me, luckily my husband can go.

Sorry to hear that your sickness seems to be making a comeback :(

I slept really badly last night. Only happens when we've had dealings with the HSE or the hospital.

How is everyone else doing? All in the last trimester now :)

• Advertisement

Ok, now I do think I am going to lose it. Just got a very brief email from hubby. Meeting a complete waste of time, not the promised final meeting, now they want to schedule yet ANOTHER meeting, this time with my GP present, God knows why.

I really feel like telling them all to go and Eff themselves at this point.

Getting very fed up with being in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

Squiggler that is a joke I can not stand people making appointments/meetings and then changing them just because it suits them better?? Grrr...

Vel I have been getting braxton hicks last few weeks doctors told me they can start from 25 weeks on words. Also know others who got them early too. Hope you get the confusion about baby's weight sorted soon :)

Went to GP yesterday everything was great until he goes the "last few weeks" and I go "yup 10weeks left" he goes "oh god your massive" (love blunt people) lol he thought I was much further along..:rolleyes: Checked out baby and heads still engaged and also told me to mention physio to doc in hospital for the bad hip pain I'm getting (didn't relies I was entitled so might be something for some of ye going through sever hip pain on the HSE) Also said from feeling baby he's going to be a big one :eek: little bit scary but glad too :)

Hope everyone is doing well and healthy!!

Ok, now I do think I am going to lose it. Just got a very brief email from hubby. Meeting a complete waste of time, not the promised final meeting, now they want to schedule yet ANOTHER meeting, this time with my GP present, God knows why.

I really feel like telling them all to go and Eff themselves at this point.

Getting very fed up with being in limbo.

Wow at this rate squiggler you will have had the baby and they will still be rescheduling the meeting :rolleyes:.

Does anyone know if i can use deep heat on my back while pregnant ?.
    I think i pulled a muscle in my back it was that painful last night i nearly cried i also got no sleep so i am like a zombie today.

Dollyb i was told throughout my last preg i was massive baby was 7lb i was just full of fluid. I am alot smaller this time round.

Squigs - that is just pathetic the way they are treating ye. No wonder you're fit to kill someone! Like why is it taking so long to make a decision when you are a low risk candidate with no problems so far. It just goes to show Ireland has a long way to go yet with home births. And to think two generations ago, most babies were born at home anyways.... Sometimes I think it's sad how far we've come in relation to hospitals perception of pregnancy and birth, the percentage of interventions in hospitals, etc. Whatever happened to allowing someone to birth at their own pace.. Anyways I won't go on (have been reading too much about all this recently)!

Elaney - can't help you really, but you should probably check with doc just in case re the deep heat. Or even ask at your local pharmacy. They should be able to tell you too.

They'd already scheduled the next meeting, for Thursday because that suits the consultant, without bothering to check with me. I've a business trip to Cork next week and will be there all day Thursday. When I told the woman in the HSE this she managed to make it sound like I'm being awkward or difficult :confused:

I've had it with them. The meetings have been a complete waste of time as well as stressful and upsetting. None of them care at all about me or the baby, they only care about their policies and procedures and protecting their little cartel.

They let us down last time when we asked them for help to get us out of the hands of the bully who eventually succeeded in causing the death of our baby, so I really don't know why I expected this time would be any different.

Anyway, it's a relief in a way to have been able to write to the HSE yesterday asking them to please stop causing me distress and irritation and to leave us alone for the remainder of the pregnancy. We've made arrangements for antenatal and postnatal care outside of the hospital, which will be more than adequate as long as the pregnancy continues normally.

Sorry for the rant girls. I just find it amazing that over the last three months it has been repeatedly shown that baby and I are, as far as this Consultant and the HSE are concerned, the LEAST important people in this equation.

Anyway, on a more positive note I actually was able to sleep right through last night, not having the stress of facing any more meetings causing me nightmares and waking terrors.

Sorry it had to come to this squiggler. You and babs don't need the stress and upset.
    Hope the rest of your pregnancy is more relaxed.

Yes, I'm really sorry too squigs that you have had to pack the whole thing in, especially when you wanted the home birth so much. But I really think you're right to call it a day - you definitely don't need the stress at this stage of the pregnancy. I think you'll feel much better for making the decision in a few days time. It's enough to be pregnant and get through every day and to try and get a good night's sleep! Take care x

This babs is def making lots more movement now throughout the day and evening. And it's lying transverse me thinks, but hopefully plenty of time yet to move into correct position! Happy Friday girls!

Jeeney, I don't think we're ever going to feel ok about having to face a hospital birth without any choice or alternative. It was a hospital that killed our first baby and we're never going to be able to forget that.

We're just trying to ignore the fact that that bit will come. Frankly I'd sooner labour in a field.

Anyway, that's the last I'm going to say on all of that.

Squiggler after all you have been through i understand it must be really
    daunting the prospect of the hospital . Wait until you will be holding babs in your arms and it will be all worth it. You need to look after yourself and i'm sure all will be fine. Cant wait to hear you have had a bouncing happy babs.

Jeeney, I don't think we're ever going to feel ok about having to face a hospital birth without any choice or alternative. It was a hospital that killed our first baby and we're never going to be able to forget that.

We're just trying to ignore the fact that that bit will come. Frankly I'd sooner labour in a field.

Anyway, that's the last I'm going to say on all of that.

God I know squiggler, it must be really hard to have to go down the route of a hospital. I guess all I was trying to say in my previous post was you may mentally feel better (for a short time at least) having got rid of the stress of all the disasterous meetings and the hassle you've had so far. But I understand the fear of a hospital will be playing on your mind too alot. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your first baby and that ye had to suffer the loss at all.

• Advertisement

Ah, thanks girls. Really appreciate all the support.

Roll on October! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Not sure about the deepheat, it's a no no if there's anti-inflamatories in it. I have been using Biofreeze which the pharmacist and my physio both agreed was ok to use moderately.

Thanks Emer b i will look into that. Thankfully it seems to have eased off.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Squiggler can't believe the way you are being treated. It's a complete joke. Hope everything works out for you in the end. They aren't worth stressing out over. I had a terrible experience with my hospital today.

Got a letter in the post saying a swab taken on June 19th showed that I have an infection in the vagina. Attached was a prescription for flagyl- which I'm allergic to!

Rang maternity ward, asked why it took two weeks to find out I have this infection and is it dangerous. She says oh well it could cause you to go into pre term labour so it needs to be treated immediately! I asked what kind of infection it was and she said I don't have your chart now so I couldn't tell you. Explained I am allergic to flagyl so was told to go to my own Gp.

My Gp on holidays so saw a stand in. He said not to worry and ask about it when I'm back in for my next scan on the 19th of July! Disaster! Called back hospital, they tell me come in for an alternative prescription. 20 miles in the road because of their mistake! Then turns out what they prescribed doesn't actually exist. Went to five chemists and finally one lovely pharmacist said she would call them and sort it out. Got prescribed an antibiotic internal cream so hopefully that will kill the infection.

So worrying thinking that none of the midwives give a **** about me or my baby! I could have hone into pre term labour because of them and no explanation or apology!

They make life soooo difficult! Disaster of a system. HSE needs a serious kick in the hole.

Anyway apologies for essay ladies. Just needed to rant about it all. Hate worrying about baby and feel like no one understands how scary it all is unless they are pregnant themselves xx

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

SupaDupaFly: That's afull so suprised they didn't bother to ring you or check your chart for allergies :eek: What hospital are you with? Can't get over the midwives!!
    Hope the stuff you did get works and it all gets cleared up soon.

DollyB wrote: »
    SupaDupaFly: That's afull so suprised they didn't bother to ring you or check your chart for allergies :eek: What hospital are you with? Can't get over the midwives!!
    Hope the stuff you did get works and it all gets cleared up soon.

I'm attending Clonmel hospital DollyB. Bloody disaster. The worst part was how much the midwife scared me on the phone. Didn't give me any answers and shocked me about going into early labour but her attitude was just oh well I'm too busy to dig out your chart.

Can't wait until baby gets here safe and I won't have to deal with hospitals anymore fingers crossed xx

I'm attending Clonmel hospital DollyB. Bloody disaster. The worst part was how much the midwife scared me on the phone. Didn't give me any answers and shocked me about going into early labour but her attitude was just oh well I'm too busy to dig out your chart.

Can't wait until baby gets here safe and I won't have to deal with hospitals anymore fingers crossed xx

You poor thing! That is just so awful. As if it isn't difficult enough the hospitals just seem determined to make the process as distressing and miserable as they possibly can.

If you put up with it they keep patting themselves on the back and telling each other what a wonderful job they're doing and if you speak up and say it's not good enough you're a crank or a nutcase.

As I said to a friend recently I hope there is a special place in Hell reserved for them, where they get to experience everything they've ever subjected a pregnant woman to over and over.

Hopefully the infection is nothing to worry about, it may have already cleared up even. And how could she tell you that it could cause complications without even having your chart or knowing what the infection was :confused:

Just try to relax and stay calm, for you and baby.

x

I really feel sorry for the people who won't question them or speak up for themselves. They really great people like fools if they can get away with it.

I couldn't believe she told me that on the phone, I just asked what the infection could be and she said is it not written on the letter? Why would I be asking her if it was on the bloody letter! All she had to do was go look at my chart the lazy cow, instead of scaring me half to death. The second time I rang back I spoke to a much more helpful woman, explained the earlier conversation and what the doctor I saw said and she put me on the phone to the doctor on my consultants team.

Easy as that I felt reassured! It doesn't take much to just explain what's happening to someone and have the decency to tell them what is actually on their chart.

When I went in for the script I brought urine sample and made them test it. Said there was puss present in it so infection is still there. Feel less crampy down there already since using the cream today so hopefully baby will be all good and it clears up soon.
    Xx

How is everyone feeling today. Hope you all had a good weekend. SupaDupa, hope the infection is clearing up for you.

It's just dawned on me that I have only 9 more weeks in work before I begin Maternity Leave, must be only 6 or 7 for some of you. A bit scary really, so much to do between now and then.

Baby is doing a lot of squirming and stretching (ouch!) but not too much kicking. Still moving around a lot but seems to favour a head up position - I really hope that will change in the next month or so. I can really see him or her moving around, which is funny. Have felt the odd elbow/fist/foot etc. through my belly too.

Went to my GP on Friday for a check-up and all is still fine with me and baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Happy Monday all!

Starting the antenatal classes today so looking forward to that

The morning sickness is back good and strong now. I feel so sorry for myself. It is taking everything I have just to be in work. If my nasty boss starts on me today I dont think I will have the energy to fight her. I know the sickness used to be worse if I hadn't slept well the night before and I got about 4 hours sleep last night combined with being up every 2 hours to pee. I just feel sick and fed up :(

Ok, self pity session over.

Supa - how are you feeling?

Squiggler - I can feel a lot of twisting/rolling sensations. I find them very odd but I do love it. Hope the stress of the HSE has left you now. I really admire your determination

Advertisement