Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Anyone absolutely exhausted?. I remember getting some energy around this time before but dont think it is going to happen this time around.
    My feet feel like lead too they are so tired roll on September. Hope everything is ok with you Supa thinking of you.
    How is everyone else getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Ya me too elaney! I seem to have a relatively ok energy level at work, but come the evening after the hours drive home & preparing a dinner, I am so exhausted.

Supadupa - hope all is ok with you pet.
    Emmabrighton - hope your little lad doing ok. I never congratulated you, so belated congrats & welcome baby Max!

Babs is still breech for me too (34 wks now). Hopef he/she will have turned by 36 wk apt. I would be gutted also if have to have a c-section. I'm banking on as natural a delivery as possible this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

Everyone around me is falling victim to a stomach bug, half of the guys who work for me are off sick with it, my husband has it as does my brother. I think I should lock myself away in a lush hotel for a few days. Just about coping as things are, if I get this bug I may just crack.

Have Domino check-up tomorrow, have a big list of questions for the midwife, had it last time too and forgot to bring it with me - blasted baby brain.

My sister in law had a little boy last night- looking forward to meeting him and get a bit of practise in with him, we are so clueless about babies, neither of us have changed a babys clothing, never mind a nappy. Midwife at my GP recommended I buy a baby doll and get working nappy changes and baby gro changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

elaney, been pretty tired for the last week or so, but I think that's because of the heat and baby's new habit of practicing Tae Kwon Do at 5am for about 2 hours.

Jeeney, sorry to hear baby is still breech. Hope s/he turns soon. You might also consider looking at spinningbabies for some tips. Apologies if I already mentioned that site to you (babybrain) but I've heard excellent things about it. Certainly no harm can come of trying and it might help you to avoid having a section.

Inishowen lady, eep, that sounds precarious. I hope you can avoid picking up that stomach bug. As you said, things are difficult enough already.

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow. Maybe put your list in your bag now, just to make sure you have it.

Reading about you and your sister in law reminded me of a "tips for new parents" thing I read years ago. It suggested practicing putting a babygro on a live octopus and said if you could master that you might be ready to dress a newborn. :D

Squiggler wrote: »

Reading about you and your sister in law reminded me of a "tips for new parents" thing I read years ago. It suggested practicing putting a babygro on a live octopus and said if you could master that you might be ready to dress a newborn. :D

HaHa, think it will be easier to get a doll in Smyths than an octopus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Had the tummy bug yesterday....thought at some points that i might die!! Feel alot better today but no appetite. Have serious pains all over my bump from all the vomiting. Hope no one else has to go through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Sorry to hear you're sick Sheebs, there's enough to deal with without that.
    Wow it's warm these days, I'm really feeling the heat. My feet are huge all day long, even the biggest shoes I have are snug, trying to wear supportive shoes rather than flip flops but nothing else will fit! Not cursing the nice weather though, great to get it!
    Have been to 3 antenatal classes and found them really good. Midwife is very practical and down to earth and has told us lots of small details that I never knew before, takes some of the mystery out of it and puts my mind at ease about how the entire hospital stay works. Anyone else finding them beneficial?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

emer b, I have to say I found them brilliant, for lots of reasons. We are doing up our house and my husband is constantly wrking on it, I barely see him these days so the once a week ritual of driving to the class and being there together was great. I felt that he learned an awful lot, I've visited friends/family in the maternity hospital so I had some idea of what it might be like. I took back the sleeping bag thingys that my mother in law bought baby and exchanged them for cellular blankets, I realise that I don't need half the things I had thought so its saved me money. Like you I also picked up a few hints and tips - even though I've read "what to expect" multiple times!

One of the midwives was so lovely pointing out that babies are only small for a short time and that cuddling them and holding them would not spoil them! I thought that was lovely :D

PS Queen of Sheebs, hope you are feeling better, cannot imagine how to cope with sickness and massive bump xox

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Queen of sheebs - hope your feeling better! Don't envy you there.
    Inishowwn - hope you managed to avoid it!

Hope no one else has fallen victim to any illness - hubbie has had a terrible head cold for the past week. Coughing, flemy and for the last couple of days has lost his voice!! (Much to mu sons amusement!) Managed to avoid all illness so far this pregnancy (and I would like it to stay that way!)

Jeeney - I'm sure baby will turn for you - my little fella is currently transverse, but still keeps turning. I'm pretty sure he has been breech and head down this week also.

Totally agree with the heat! Its nice during the day, but I am on the evening shift this week and its still really hot in work at 11pm!! (although I suppose I should be thankful as I am pretty sure it would be worse during the day.)

Bit of a surprise this week - been granted maternity benefit!! Its the lowest rate of €217.80, but I thought I would not be entitled so thats one less thing to worry about. I am assuming that (hoping that) we will still be able to apply for rent supplement as hubbie on means tested jsa which together with my mat benefit adds up to the same rate as if he was claiming jsa for all of us. So when little one makes an appearance his rate should go up (well when they get round to doing the means test!) At least we know that money will be coming weekly and not having to wait weeks / months for it to start. It is such a huge relief!

Hopefully we can all last the heat and exhaustion till our maternity leave dates!

• Advertisement

HaHa, think it will be easier to get a doll in Smyths than an octopus

Yeah, but will it be a truly authentic test ;) One of my nieces spent a lot of her first 6 months in kimono tops and nappies because even just getting that much on her was a time consuming process. Hopefully we'll have less squiggly babies, otherwise they're not going to get much fresh air!

Queen of Sheebs, hope you're fully recovered now after your tummy bug. Must have been awful.

emer_b and taxus_baccata, glad to hear that you're both finding the antenatal classes worthwhile.

Fran 79, delighted to hear that you've been approved for some maternity. Hope you can also get other supplements. New baby could be stressful enough without having financial worries too.

Better nights sleep last night. Baby's Tae Kwon Do sessions have increased in duration but are now being restricted to daytime. Or maybe I was just so beaten and exhausted last night that I'd have slept through anything :)

Midwife told me to make sure I'm counting at least 10 movements a day :rolleyes: Back in with her again on Tuesday morning. Hoping all this movement hasn't got baby back to breech again.

Fran that's great news on the Maternity Benefit, what's the norm on how long before maternity leave starts are you hear back about Maternity Benefit.

Have managed to avoid the tummy bug so far, one more out in work today with it, so I figure it's just a matter of time. Midwife assured me baby won't be impacted, if I do get it, I figured as much but always reassuring to hear it from a professional.
    Had a new Midwife today, she was such a dote, wish I had her all the time, she's the first midwife I've dealt with who is a mammy too, she was much more a realist & helpful than the other's who, without kids of their own were just sprouting the theory to me.

Hey
    How many months will a baby be in a Moses basket for? What's the benefits of going with a Moses Basket from the start instead of a cot?

It depends on how big the baby is inishowen lady. I am glad i didnt go for a moses basket i got a crib instead as my fella was always ahead of himself. When he was 3 months he was wearing 6-9 months. I got 4 and a half months out of crib, i would have only got a couple months out of the basket. The benefits of the basket would be the fact that you can have the baby asleep in the kitchen and carry them to the bedroom in the evening.

Great news Fran with the maternity benefit. One less thing to worry about.

Hope you are feeling beter queen of sheebs.

I have no idea where my baby is lying at the moment getting kicked at every angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Spent a lovely morning at Powerscourt today with my parents and the kids, and looking forward to a tour of the walled garden in the Phoenix Park tomorrow followed by a picnic with the kids but man its hard work in this heat! I want to spend as much time with the kids as possible and feel bad when I can't and they don't understand.

I also have a champion judo fighter here!! I am being kicked and punched like nobody's business, especially at night :eek:

Finding it really hard to tell if the baby is still breech or not, but I have a feeling it is. Won't know until my next hopsital appointment on 23rd August.

I've just realised that I've completely forgotten I bought the Gentlebirth cds and haven't listened to them for months. I found it hard to get into them and didn't particularly like the woman's voice on the cds so don't know if I am going to go back to them at this stage now. Is anyone else using them and finding them useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Over the tummy bug....tg. Wed was sick and thurs was so sore all.over from all the vomiting. Was at doctors yesterday and i've another kidney infection. Lost 2 kg in weight since last weighed 2 weeks ago so assuming thats from the bug.
    on the moses basket.....we only got 4 weeks use of it. We had borrowed it from sil. Ds was a long baby (dh and i are both tall).
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Just wondering if anyone could recommend a second monitor. I have the angel care mat one, which i'll use for new baby but as ds will be 14 months i want something i can use for naps when i'm downstairs.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Jeeney, sorry to hear baby is still breech. Hope s/he turns soon. You might also consider looking at spinningbabies for some tips. Apologies if I already mentioned that site to you (babybrain) but I've heard excellent things about it. Certainly no harm can come of trying and it might help you to avoid having a section.
    . :D

Squiggler, thanks very much for this. I've had a look at that website and there are some good tips - cheers! Doc told me last week that baby was moving slightly downwards. But like Elaney and Vel, I'm still getting loads of kicks in my side. So I really don't know.... Will keep hoping anyways and practice my yoga and stuff on that website.

Hope ye are all doing well. At least the heat has subsided....

Yes, seems almost criminal to be grateful for rain and cool temperatures in the 'Summer', but I am glad that the temperature, and the humidity, has dropped a bit.

I might have to do some of those spinningbabies exercises myself, will find out tomorrow. Baby was doing a lot of twisting and turning over the weekend. Hopefully head is still (or back) down again tomorrow morning.

I was at a funeral on Saturday and was asked to mind my friend's 6 week old niece for a while. It's made me really impatient to be holding my own little babs. :p

Baby and I both got a clean bill of health (bp nice and low, heartbeat strong and regular, lots of fluid still etc.) but we did get one bit of news that has me struggling to stay calm and not sure whether I want to scream or cry.

Looks like I will have to resort to some baby spinning this week. After staying nicely head down for the past 2 months baby moved to an oblique position especially for the midwife appointment this morning (felt him/her moving in the early hours of the morning). Means I have to go back next week instead of the week after and if baby isn't back to vertex we'll have to go for a scan (and probably be scheduled for a c-section because the hospital are just looking for an excuse) :(

Baby and I both got a clean bill of health (bp nice and low, heartbeat strong and regular, lots of fluid still etc.) but we did get one bit of news that has me struggling to stay calm and not sure whether I want to scream or cry.

Looks like I will have to resort to some baby spinning this week. After staying nicely head down for the past 2 months baby moved to an oblique position especially for the midwife appointment this morning (felt him/her moving in the early hours of the morning). Means I have to go back next week instead of the week after and if baby isn't back to vertex we'll have to go for a scan (and probably be scheduled for a c-section because the hospital are just looking for an excuse) :(

well if baby turned once, baby might turn twice! :D I really hope it works out for you Squiggler! On a lighter note, does the words baby spinning make anyone think of little babies cycling bikes, like a spinning class. I loved spinning pre bump!

Anyway Squiggler as they say a week is a long time in politics - its an eternity in pregnancy and anything could happen between here and then xoxo

• Advertisement

well if baby turned once, baby might turn twice! :D I really hope it works out for you Squiggler! On a lighter note, does the words baby spinning make anyone think of little babies cycling bikes, like a spinning class. I loved spinning pre bump!

Anyway Squiggler as they say a week is a long time in politics - its an eternity in pregnancy and anything could happen between here and then xoxo

Thanks taxus, trying to think positively, and yeah, baby spinning does bring some funny images to mind. Glad they're not doing spinning classes in there! How are things going with you?

Jeeney, how are you getting on, baby still breech or making moves?

Has anyone heard anything about how emmabrighton and Max are doing?

Thanks, Squiggler, I'm great! Last week at work and feeling the strain a bit, I'm very tired now and I have to get up 3-4 times per night to pee! :eek: Two weeks ago I was half dreading going on maternity leave, now I'm like: BRING IT ON!!!!!

I think baby is head down but not too sure. I think I can feel its little bum at the top of the bump, but that might also be it's head!

I'm almost 37 weeks now and like I said above the difference a week makes in pregancy is unbelievable. Since lasat week, I've no clothes left, none of my maternity pants fit, last week it was 2 trips per night to bathroom, this week its 4. My walking speed has decreased by 50-60% (I have not actually measured this!), the hub has started "bump watch" as you can really see bump move, even from across a room, last week you'd want to be closer to see bump's gymnastics.

But I'm still very happy and chirpy and totally in love with little bump :D

Thats unfortunate squiggler however plenty of time for babs to turn yet.
    I really feel i should be seen again before 38 weeks. I really want to know where baby is lying and the doctor cannot tell so i won't find out till 38 weeks.
    I think she might have turned Sunday but im not too sure.

Aw, taxus that's great! Hopefully you won't find the week too difficult to get through. I'll be starting mine in exactly 4 weeks time, unless something happens before then.

Playing guess the baby part is always fun :D The best way to decide the head v bum question is whether when you push gently on it bobs independently or most of the baby moves.

So glad you're feeling in good form :) And you'll be full term and free to have baby any time from next week! :D

Thanks elaney, hope that baby is being co-operative for you. Oblique or transverse seem to be the worst possible positions - making vaginal birth impossible. Even breech wouldn't be as bad. Over the shock now and just trying to focus on what I can do to try to help resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Excited_FTM

hi everyone :)

taxus_baccata i had to laugh at your post as i could have wrote it myself. im the very same, only difference im on maternity leave 3 weeks now.

Aw, taxus that's great! Hopefully you won't find the week too difficult to get through. I'll be starting mine in exactly 4 weeks time, unless something happens before then.

Playing guess the baby part is always fun :D The best way to decide the head v bum question is whether when you push gently on it bobs independently or most of the baby moves.

So glad you're feeling in good form :) And you'll be full term and free to have baby any time from next week! :D

Thanks elaney, hope that baby is being co-operative for you. Oblique or transverse seem to be the worst possible positions - making vaginal birth impossible. Even breech wouldn't be as bad. Over the shock now and just trying to focus on what I can do to try to help resolve it.[

I have so much amniotic fluid thats its hard to establish where baby is.
    I was the same if not worse in last pregnancy. The midwife was worried when she broke my waters but it wasnt too bad.

I feel your pain taxus but would love to be as close as you. You haven't long now.:D

Hee, what is it with these September babies seeming to favour unusual positions! I'm dying for my appointment next week to find out if baby is now head down but of course I know that the position could change after that. Marathon judo session at 4.30am this morning has me convinced baby is still breech. I would obviously prefer a vaginal birth but I have my head around the possiblity of a section, so what will be will be.

I was watching From Here to Maternity on Sunday and they were following a woman on her second baby who was breech. They gave her the option of trying to turn the baby, which she refused. I'm wondering would any of you ladies consider this? I have been doing a small bit of reading on it and I don't think it would be for me :eek:

The heat, oh my word, the heat!

Vel wrote: »
    They gave her the option of trying to turn the baby, which she refused. I'm wondering would any of you ladies consider this? I have been doing a small bit of reading on it and I don't think it would be for me :eek:

The heat, oh my word, the heat!

I guess it would depend on how they were trying to turn the baby, but yeah, I probably prefer that, if it was possible, to a guaranteed section.

The heat really is so draining...

In this case, one midwife would have her knuckles on the top of the bump and another on the bottom and they would literally try to rotate the baby from the outside. The doctor said there is a 1 in 100 chance the baby won't like it and it would result in an emergency c-section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Vel I was watching that too. My feeling was that I would rather have a planned section rather than an emergency one. But that might just be me. It sounds really uncomfortable to be honest.

Had my hospital appt today - was pleasantly surprised, was only there for 1.5 hours. Half the time I have been there in the past. I think a lot of people must have recently given birth so more space in the clinic lol.
    Think I may have seen Erica there too (if it was you hi!)
    I also had a consulatnt who actually read my notes (his first comment being so this is your second pregnancy.......woohoo)

Again could tell you which way baby was lying, consultant just mesaured bump and midwife checked uring / bp all fine. He did ask if I was taking iron? I said no, just my husbands cooking and I think he was a little surprised that my iron levels were so good and that my hubbie cooks lol.

So GP in 2 weeks and hospital again in 4.

So glad it has cooled down from last week - it was getting hard! I have ice pops in the freezer at work lol.

Hope everyone is keeping well

Advertisement