Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due September 2012 thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Thanks Jeeney! Feels like quite an achievement for both of us :)

I'm not sure if the massage is worth it, can't say if it helped last time or not, didn't bother this time. Assuming that I get to have a 'normal' labour I'm hoping to give birth in any position other than on my back (which is the worst possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Congrats Inishowen!

How exciting Supa - best of luck :)

Once you're in the throes of labour you won't care how hairy you are, and I'm sure the nurses have seen it all! That said, I would prefer my legs at the very least to be tidy and have been achieving it so far with the help of my OH!! I pop out of the shower, plonk myself on the toilet, legs up on the little step my son uses to climb up onto the loo and OH shaves them!! They were of forest like proportions a couple of months ago but are now under control so it really only takes a minute each time, if that. I know there are more important things to be worrying about but it keeps me happy!

Have been feeling really 'strange' since yesterday. Quite a lot of pain/pressure in my pelvic area, some diarreha and queasiness. No regular pains/contractions, shows or waters breaking so don't think I'm in labour but it does remind me of how I felt a few days before I went into labour on my first. In reality, its most likely just a case of wishful thinking but I do rely a lot on my gut feeling and something tells me things could be stirring!

Even up to last week I was in freak out mode about the whole thing but a zen like calm has overcome me and I'm actually looking forward to giving birth now, partly because I just don't want to be pregnant anymore but also because I've had two relatively straightforward births and the whole experience is amazing. Bring it on!!!

Squiggler, will be sending lots of 'get into the correct position' vibes your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Goodluck Supa thinking of you . Hopefully you will be holding babs soon.

Hopefully everything will be ok Squiggler tomorrow fingers crossed for you.

Just back from my hospital appointment. Im slightly annoyed everything is fine with baby head is down thank God loads of fluid around baby and baby is measuring 38 weeks which is 6 days ahead of itself my only problem is that
    i have had very bad swelling on my legs. Now my sister is trained as a midwife even though she is a nurse at the moment . My left leg is way bigger than my right and its purple so when my sister seen it yesterday she said it was one of the worst swellings she has seen in a pregnant woman. Midwife looked at it this morning and said to make sure i mention it to doctor which i did . He wouldnt even look at it he said if my bp was fine the not to worry about it. The swelling is that bad i have to wear my husbands shoes now. Im just so annoyed he wouldnt look and reassure me. Oh well back to my Gp next week so hopefully he will have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

jees Elaney, that sounds weird, if you are still worried head to doc early, don't mean to alarm you but sometimes its just best to go with ones gut.

Squiggler - +1 to staying off the back! I've no control over my body if I roll onto my back! I was like a stranded turtle last night, so I don't see how I could go through labour like that!

Vel I feel a bit like that at times over the past few days - getting funny pains down below. Not too sure if they are Braxton Hicks or wind!

Little bump is really busy today - hopefully its packing its little bags! :D

Thanks Jeeny, glad to hear that the exercises are not all they are cracked up to be (pardon the pun!).

Any news from Supa?

Thanks Vel, sounds like it could be promising, fingers crossed for you.

Elaney, that does sound very weird and it is so annoying when they don't listen to your concerns. If it gets worse maybe you should try to see your GP sooner? Thanks for the good wishes.

I've given up even trying to figure out how baby is lying as just when I think I've managed to decipher head from bum the little squiggler is off again. I think baby is going to be a hide and seek champion!

Taxus, laughed out loud at the mental image of baby packing a tiny suitcase.

Wonder how supa is getting on with the gel... hope things don't take too long to get going for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Taxus I was laughing at your post too, the bit about being stranded like a turtle.
    When I lie on the couch in the evening I have to do two or three rolls to gain momentum to get myself up out of the seat. In fairness my husband would help me up if I asked him but when I don't he's usually roaring laughing at the sight of me from across the room. It also helps if he can give me a roll to get out of bed in the morning, makes us both laugh!:D

Thanks Girls. I thought i was being paranoid but ill keep an eye
    on it keeping my feet up from now on in the evenings hubby has put his foot down.

I feel more like a beached whale than a turtle at the moment. My two year old has started lately trying to help me get off the couch God love him:D

emer_b wrote: »
    Taxus I was laughing at your post too, the bit about being stranded like a turtle.
    When I lie on the couch in the evening I have to do two or three rolls to gain momentum to get myself up out of the seat. In fairness my husband would help me up if I asked him but when I don't he's usually roaring laughing at the sight of me from across the room. It also helps if he can give me a roll to get out of bed in the morning, makes us both laugh!:D

what kills me is the two or three rolls to get momentum, then you don't go anywhere and you're just wrecked! ;)

I think I'll miss those moments where hub has to rescue me from the couch, chair, bed etc. - sure it gives him something to do!

Elaney - that's so cute! how considerate you have a well tuned in two year old there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Hi guys,
    Still here waiting patiently :-( Started me on penicillin at 6pm, 18 hours after waters breaking, to reduce risk of infection. If nothing has stirred by morning then they will give me gel. Wanted to give me the chance to go myself first.

Terrified about it all now girlies. Just want baby out safe. One way or another it has to cone out tomorow so say a prayer the gel works or ill be looking at a section.

Hope ye are all good. Sorry hsvent had good internet to catch up on posts.

Xx Supa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

best of luck supa, hope you're able to get a bit of sleep tonight if things don't get moving. Will be a big day tomorrow for you, hope it all goes smoothly and you'll be holding baby by this time tomorrow!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I've been lurking here since this thread started as my wife discovered she was pregnant back on January 10th. On Sunday morning she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Sarah (8 days before due date). I've spent months reading this thread and following things as they have developed here and with us and I've found it very encouraging and helpful. So thank you all, and I wish those of you still to deliver the best, and those of you who already have some rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Squiggler wrote: »
    Ericaa, you poor thing, hope it clears up quickly for you. I think you should definitely ask your Dr why you are going to have to take antibiotics during labour though. Sounds a bit weird.

Delighted to hear that baby is head down though, hope he or she stays that way for you :)
    I know, I'm in tomorrow again so I'll ask then.
    Thank you!
    Fran79 wrote: »
    Ericaa - glad to hear that your uti is symptomless - at least your not in pain. Strange about the antibiotics in labour. Hearing about the cancellation of classes makes me kinda glad I didin't bother booking them.
    I know, I'm lucky!
    I had no intentions of booking classes originally, they kinda just shoved me into them, which is why I'm doing them so late haha. Going to the class tomorrow actually. Let's hope it's worthwhile.

elaney wrote: »
    Ericaa i had Uti's for seven months of my last pregnancy its not pleasant.
    I have no idea why you would need them during labour you need to ask.
    Ah, I'm sorry to hear that!
    Just back from GP I have a UTI too, given augmentin prescription, Ericaa I got a 7 day prescription. No mention of needing to continue it. He did mention that they have been known to "speed up things but wouldn't that be great to get it all over and done with"
    Wow, really?! That's what I was prescribed for five days, doctor didn't mention anything like that to me, then again, he's not really the talking type...

Big congratulations to you by the way! :)
    Vel wrote: »
    I had to have antibiotics during labour on my last birth as a urine sample had tested positive for Strep B earlier in my pregnancy. It can transfer across to the baby during the birth and can be quite serious. baby had to spend extra days in hopsital after being monitored because of it. Sorry not trying to scare you and this may not be the case with you at all but that's the only reason I know of that they give antibiotics during labour.
    I was actually wondering was it Strep B or not, I thought they only tested for that through vaginal swabs, which is why I didn't think it was that because I haven't had one!

Thanks for the info!

Best of luck Supa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Hi guys,
    Still here waiting patiently :-( Started me on penicillin at 6pm, 18 hours after waters breaking, to reduce risk of infection. If nothing has stirred by morning then they will give me gel. Wanted to give me the chance to go myself first.

Terrified about it all now girlies. Just want baby out safe. One way or another it has to cone out tomorow so say a prayer the gel works or ill be looking at a section.

Hope ye are all good. Sorry hsvent had good internet to catch up on posts.

Xx Supa

Supa - keeping you in my prayers today and hopefully the gel will work for you..fingers crossed. I know it's terrifying, but try to relax if you can at all. Easier said than done, I'm sure. But it might help things along.

Vel - I'm feeling those weird pains, etc too. But no regular contractions or anything. Felt quite nauseous again last night, so hopefully this is a sign for us!

F-Stop - congrats to you and your wife! Sarah is a beautiful name. Hope things going ok for ye now and ye settle into parenthood ok.

Congrats F stop and Oh hope ye are getting some sleep.:)

Supa ya poor thing i hope your not in too much pain hope everything kicks off today for ya .

Feet arent as bad today thank God.

Taxus you must be dying to get it over and done with now though?. I know i am and not even due yet.

I am indeed Elaney! It's funny I was praying for baby to stay put for a bit and now that I've had my few nights in the new house like I wished for I'm just ready to go! Going to reflexology in a few hours so hopefully that'll start it off!

Supa, great to hear from you. Try to relax, easier said than done but if you have access to the internet, I was reading Ina May Gaskins book last night and she has a chapter called sphincter law (http://www.inamay.com/article/understanding-birth-and-sphincter-law)

anyway, the whole book sort of terrified me, but there were lots of nice things to take from it - esp for labour - trying to laugh, making sure you are comfortable with who ever is examining you (see bullets points of the page above - skip the rest!) - like that doctor I had last week - if he comes near me, I'll run him!! ;)

Supa, I also recommend that Ina May Gaskell info. It makes perfect sense that we're not going to find it easy to give birth when we're not comfortable, calm and relaxed. I hope that things will start moving for you soon. Will keep praying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

It won't be long now Supa:)

Was due to start maternity leave on Wednesday but doctor is signing me off from yesterday as I'm just not able to drag myself in for the last few days! Bag is all packed, house is clean, kids are in the creche today and I don't know what to do with myself! I'm pottering around, dipping into a book I am reading and will pop to my mum's for a cuppa later in the afternoon but so far, so boring! I'm trying not to fall into the trap of sleeping during the day as it means I'll be awake at some ungodly hour cursing myself for napping! I'd much rather have a good, fullish night's sleep and stay awake during the day.

Well, I'm never trusting my gut feeling again, as there is nothing stirring here at all and I'm back to feeling as normal as can be expected!! I think I just overdid things on Sunday.

OH and I were cracking up looking at my swollen, cocktail sausage like fingers last night. Come the evening, my ankles tend to be following suit!

Taxus, would be interested to hear how you get on at reflexology? Is the idea of going to try to get things moving? I guess at the very least, even if it doesn't work, it will be a nice relaxing few hours.

Oh wait, I've just figured out how I can kill a half hour or so - working out how the mai tai sling works!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Girls I've to go for a section straight away :-( Devestated.

Baby moved this morning. Transverse now

Aw Supa, I can understand how you feel. Sending good vibes and prayers your way. xx

Aw Supa, Once your holding babs you won't care which end he/she came out
    all the best xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Wow it's all happening since I was last here!! Can't quite believe we are in the middle of September already

Congrats Inisowen!! Love the name. You really lit a fire under me to get everything organised.

Supa - thinking of you. It's tough when things dont go the way you thought they would but think that you are getting the best care for you and baby now and it wont be long til you get to meet your little one

I cant remember the last time I posted but since then I have been in hospital every week with suspected pre - eclampsia which was thankfulkly ruled out but on tablets for hypertension now. I have carpel tunnel in both hands but worse in the right, SPD which has me on 2 cructhes and on the verge of tears most nights with pain, reflux which is making it really hard to sleep. I haven't been back to work in weeks and start my maternity leave offically tomorrow. So all in all it could be worse and I am thankful. I am incredibly uncomfortable and bored but trying to remind myself that I will miss being pregnant once I have this baby

Squiggler - my heart went out to you reading your posts. You really aren't having an easy time of it

Well, we're back home again. Baby was head down for the scan today, which was great - hope baby L stays that way now. We've to go in again on Wednesday morning. Baby is measuring big-ish (95% percentile) so they want to check me for GD. Ugh!

Supa, the main thing to focus on is safe delivery - you'll have baby soon and I'll be incredibly jealous! ;)

Well headed off to reflexology - I know this lady is brilliant, but apparently my cervix is fairly tough and does not seem to be ready - she thinks another 4 days at least! which'll bring me to 9 days OD! I went to it in a bad mood as I had frig all sleep last night, but came home beaming - despite disappointing news!

Minty - fantastic to see you back! Sounds like you have been through the mill! Hope all is well with you!

Great news re: our September gymnast Squiggler! Pity about the GD test though - better safe anyway!

Vel - I was sure I'd have baby on Sat/Sun! - ridiculous huh!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

Congrats F Stop, hope your enjoying getting to your daughter as much as we are our little man.
    He is really thriving today, he has a nasty bruised and cut head from the kiwi delivery but it's healing well and he doesn't seem to be in pain from the injury anymore. He's a brave little shoulder.

Wonder how is Supa is getting on?
    Best of luck to the rest of you ladies (and daddies to be)

Minty, sounds like you've really been having a rough time of it. I can't imagine trying to manage on crutches while pregnant, it must be really difficult. Welcome back.

taxus, pity that you had disappointing news today, but glad to hear that you're feeling more cheerful. 9 days over isn't too bad, and maybe thinking it will be another 4 days will help you relax and things will start to happen. Watch some funny movies maybe - my sister swears by it for bringing on labour.

Hope everyone else is doing well, I think we'd all like to be holding our babies at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Asked the doctor today, turns out I do have Strep B, which explains the antibiotic in labour :/ off to Wikipedia I go.

Squiggler: that's great to hear, let's hope baby stays that way!

Supa: sending good vibes your way!

Had antenatal classes today, actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Have one more class next Tuesday, let's hope I don't pop before then haha.

Minty you poor thing you have been through it. I know what its like to have hypertension but to have spd and carpal tunnel hopefully it will be over for you soon.

Inishowen great to hear babs is thriving. My fella was delivered by vacumm he had horrible sores on his head but healed up fairly lively thank God.

Squiggler, You must be having an acrobat must be a relief babs is head down. Hopefully
    the Gd will be fine fingers crossed.

Taxus, Once you are over due your waters can go any time , He/She is too comfortable in there.

Ericaa,At least its good they know about the strep b before the labour.

Me i had bad pains yesterday but then they cleared up once i put my feet up.
    Probably a few weeks off yet has anyone lost the mucus plug yet?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sunshine2000

Hey ladies had lots of braxton Hicks (mostly in my back) all last night. They did get more frequent but eased off then eventually now I just have dull period type pain.
    Then (sorry for the tmi) went to the toilet this morning, iv been having loose stools for the last few weeks so thought nothing of that also had a wee but when I wiped there was blood ( red) on the tissue. I wasn't straining at all so I don't think it was that but seemed a bit too much for a "show". I tried to investigate the proper source of the blood but couldn't get another drop. ?? previous mums how much of a show did ye get?? I also wouldnt rule it out that it came from the back passage but I don't think iv any piles etc sorry for going on and on. Still having movement so hope all is ok.
    Thinking of ye all xxx

Hey Sunshine, Was the blood incased in a thick mucus? (sorry tmi)
    When i lost my plug it was in a thick mucus and it was streaky. I am rh negative and i was told to make sure the blood was mucusy and not like a period. If you think it was fresh blood ring the hospital asap. Dont mean to worry you but they will check you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Sunshine2000

Just had internal at the mat a&e no source for the bleed found. They said the cervix is softening a little. Tracing of baby's heart is grand so going home now. Thank god all ok. Back to the clinic tomorrow anyway for a sweep. How are ye ladies doing today?

Advertisement