Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive, cables, controller or whats up?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

For the past couple of years I have been using an old PC to run Boxee
    It worked great and played all files with no problems
    Also, it is plugged directly into my UPC router and I have a 100 Meg connection

Recently it started to play up, freezing while playing videos etc

Without going into tons of detail, 80% of videos are stored locally on the machine and other 10% streamed from my office PC

This pc is running XP with all updates
    Its a 2.4Ghz Pentium
    1GB Ram
    128Mb FX5200 GPU
    2 HDD (1x160GB & 1x400GB)

The 160GB is broken into C and D. XP is on C and D is storage for files (120GB). Drive E, the 400GB one is totally storage.

Anyway, after a lot of messing around, I have found that on a 100 Meg connection, my download averages about 15 (direct into LAN). My office pc (using wirless N dongle) achieves about 65/70 Meg!! So, after watching speedtest results, the graph has peaks and valleys in it. I thought at first it was a faulty network card, but I think I have now almost got to the bottom of the problem.

I ran Passmark Performance Test and most items seemed fine, until I came to my hard drives. They are running RIDICULOUSLY slow!!! It would appear this has a knock on effect with download speed etc and also with playing back files locally.

I will run the tests now again, but from memory, I am getting maybe 1 or 2MB/s rates, and on my office PC I get maybe 20 or 30MB/s!

As there are 2 drives, I find it hard to believe that both have just failed at the same time, so that leaves me wondering about IDE cable, power supply, or mobo/controller?

Anybody care to offer any insight into this please?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    For the past couple of years I have been using an old PC to run Boxee
    It worked great and played all files with no problems
    Also, it is plugged directly into my UPC router and I have a 100 Meg connection

Recently it started to play up, freezing while playing videos etc

Without going into tons of detail, 80% of videos are stored locally on the machine and other 10% streamed from my office PC

This pc is running XP with all updates
    Its a 2.4Ghz Pentium
    1GB Ram
    128Mb FX5200 GPU
    2 HDD (1x160GB & 1x400GB)

The 160GB is broken into C and D. XP is on C and D is storage for files (120GB). Drive E, the 400GB one is totally storage.

Anyway, after a lot of messing around, I have found that on a 100 Meg connection, my download averages about 15 (direct into LAN). My office pc (using wirless N dongle) achieves about 65/70 Meg!! So, after watching speedtest results, the graph has peaks and valleys in it. I thought at first it was a faulty network card, but I think I have now almost got to the bottom of the problem.

I ran Passmark Performance Test and most items seemed fine, until I came to my hard drives. They are running RIDICULOUSLY slow!!! It would appear this has a knock on effect with download speed etc and also with playing back files locally.

I will run the tests now again, but from memory, I am getting maybe 1 or 2MB/s rates, and on my office PC I get maybe 20 or 30MB/s!

As there are 2 drives, I find it hard to believe that both have just failed at the same time, so that leaves me wondering about IDE cable, power supply, or mobo/controller?

Anybody care to offer any insight into this please?
    A slow or failing hard disk will make any kind of productivity be a pain. My mum has an old machine with a hard disk which passed a diagnostics scan, but if downloading even a small file the disk can totally pause for near 15-20 seconds as if the machine has just totally locked up.
    Most hard disks start wearing out after a few years, its just the nature of the technology

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

1gb ram sounds a lil low... chuck 1gb more and xp should run sweet

also is the c drive partition full or close to full? also try turning OFF system restore on all drives.... reboot (to clear out old restore files which eventually take up a fair sized portion of your hard drive) and turn system restore back on again and mark a restore point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Cheers for the reply guys
    I forgot about this post!
    In the meantime I bought a Boxee Box on Adverts and am only using this to stream files to the Boxee Box now, but want to go for a NAS eventually, but I think I must have either a power cable or IDE cable issue as I have left it with the side cover off for a couple of days and I can hear it make a clicking noise a couple of times a day, almost like the hard drive shutting down or something. Think I will extract it from behind the tv tomorrow and have a look

I appreciate that it's old, AND that 1 GB of ram is nothing, but this is more like a fault, rather than a gradual thing and the fact there are 2 drives, both performing badly makes me wonder.

Regarding the C partition, from memory it has a good bit of room (20-30GB) remaining, but I must have a look and try that anyway

Advertisement