Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jewellery insurance vouchers

• 14-01-2012 8:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Last year, I unfortunately lost a ring that had been left to me by my Grandmother. Had it itemised on my home insurance policy and after processing the claim, my insurance company has offered me vouchers/gift card to the value of the itemised ring. I kept the ring more for sentimental value than the look of it and really, barely wore it. Now, my problem is that I really do not want to replace it with another ring which I will not wear only to have it left in my jewellery box. Is it possible to demand cash for this claim(expecting at a reduced rate) or can I sell the voucher? Would be grateful for any input on this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

sam 1966 wrote: »
    Last year, I unfortunately lost a ring that had been left to me by my Grandmother. Had it itemised on my home insurance policy and after processing the claim, my insurance company has offered me vouchers/gift card to the value of the itemised ring. I kept the ring more for sentimental value than the look of it and really, barely wore it. Now, my problem is that I really do not want to replace it with another ring which I will not wear only to have it left in my jewellery box. Is it possible to demand cash for this claim(expecting at a reduced rate) or can I sell the voucher? Would be grateful for any input on this...

You cannot insist on cash. Insurance is about reinstating your previous position. There is no element of compensating for sentimental value, I'm afraid. What you do with the voucher, however, would be your own business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

oldyouth is correct,its the same as if you were to write off your car,the insurer can choose to replace it with a similar make and model and to be honest,if you demanded cash it would look very suspect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 sam 1966

Thank you ... Did think the same, looking for confirmation...

I have stuff myself of sentimental value and I don't insure it. If ever it went, any monetary compensation would be of no use to me. It doesn't matter that it might be worth a few bob, a claim wouldn't help me with the loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

How do the vouchers work? You could probablly sell them onto someone. I might know someone looking for something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

Check the wording of your policy. Depending on how it is worded you may have an argument against vouchers. I have heard of this happening recently, seems to be what the insurers are doing to keep their costs down.

tippniall wrote: »
    Check the wording of your policy. Depending on how it is worded you may have an argument against vouchers. I have heard of this happening recently, seems to be what the insurers are doing to keep their costs down.
    It's worth a try but it could backfire on you. Insurers always retain the right to reinstate the loss themselves, which means they would literally hand you as close a replacement item as is practical. That WILL be in your policy wording. At least with vouchers, you can use them for some other item you might prefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

All policies state that it is at the discretion of the insurer as to whether they re-instate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

Ive posted about this before, had the same problem was offered vouchers and not happy! Its not that I want to make money off it I just think a couple of grand of jewellery vouchers is excessive! I got a loss assessor to handle it for me cos it was going nowhere when I tried myself. (www.proinsuranceclaims.ie )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

aisog wrote: »
    Ive posted about this before, had the same problem was offered vouchers and not happy! Its not that I want to make money off it I just think a couple of grand of jewellery vouchers is excessive! I got a loss assessor to handle it for me cos it was going nowhere when I tried myself. (www.proinsuranceclaims.ie )
    Excessive for what? The wording of the policy says reinstament and that is all they are entitled to. Not cash to go off and buy a tv because they just dont feel like jewellery now and feel they could spend the money elsewhere. And no assessor can argue a change in wording if that's what it states!

• Advertisement
Advertisement