Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parlour size

• 14-01-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭

hi all just looking into setting up a dairy farm at the mo. i was thinking of converting unused buildings into a parlour. what width is a parlour as i have a long shed 16 feet wide but not sure if this is enough for stalls and pit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i hope u have quota and not br like all the lads that got into milking the last 2 years with it full in june

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 centre 13

If you can afford it go green field. conversions rarely deliver on cow flo which is the most important factor bar none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

hi all just looking into setting up a dairy farm at the mo. i was thinking of converting unused buildings into a parlour. what width is a parlour as i have a long shed 16 feet wide but not sure if this is enough for stalls and pit?
    If you leave a narrow pit eg 4 foot, then all you have left is 12 foot. 2 sides leaves 6' each so you are looking at 3' centres between units. At best you are looking at 2'6" centres

Also you will have very little room for anything in the pit bar yourself and you will be doing a lot of walking from cow to cow.

In a conversion, also, unless you take out the whole floor and put in the whole lot from scratch, you may have trouble bonding the parlour and floors properly.

Its not impossible but it is less than ideal and for an extra few thousand for a roof and walls, you may get a better long term setup.

Advertisement