Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

german??

• 14-01-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

as the german course is quite large and unpredictable, im just wondering how to study for it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

They oral is key in German as doing a good oral can bring you up a grade! Learn all the key topics of family / where you come from/ school / hobbies / college / next summer / last summer / next weekend / last weekend / christmas (or another festival). They are some of the key topics....learn a paragraph on each of these and you'll do well in this section.

Then the roleplays....you really can get full marks if you put your mind to it. Make sure to have a sentence on each task.....theres 5 parts to the roleplay (1-5) and about 4 tasks on each. Once you do each task you will get the marks! Practice Practise Practise these!

Then the picture sequences...know 2 sentences on each picture. They do not have to be complicated sentences....if they are grammatically correct you will get your marks. If you know the story well...you will manage the follow on questions. Projects are harder as you cannot predict all the questions to be asked.

The theme questions on the picture sequences are ment to link to the letter/ausserung! Again answer each part of the letter....make sure to answer their questions back.

Other then that the grammar can be quite hard to grasp....if you can try learn the cases etc. but I wouldn't get too hung up on them. For the reading comps i'd learn all the vocab I can....take all the nouns (capital letters) out of the texts and translate them! This will be of great benefit! And the vocab will also help with the listening. Listen to your CD's it will help! And help with your oral too!

I hope this helps in some way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

crayon1 wrote: »
    They oral is key in German as doing a good oral can bring you up a grade! Learn all the key topics of family / where you come from/ school / hobbies / college / next summer / last summer / next weekend / last weekend / christmas (or another festival). They are some of the key topics....learn a paragraph on each of these and you'll do well in this section.

Then the roleplays....you really can get full marks if you put your mind to it. Make sure to have a sentence on each task.....theres 5 parts to the roleplay (1-5) and about 4 tasks on each. Once you do each task you will get the marks! Practice Practise Practise these!

Then the picture sequences...know 2 sentences on each picture. They do not have to be complicated sentences....if they are grammatically correct you will get your marks. If you know the story well...you will manage the follow on questions. Projects are harder as you cannot predict all the questions to be asked.

The theme questions on the picture sequences are ment to link to the letter/ausserung! Again answer each part of the letter....make sure to answer their questions back.

Other then that the grammar can be quite hard to grasp....if you can try learn the cases etc. but I wouldn't get too hung up on them. For the reading comps i'd learn all the vocab I can....take all the nouns (capital letters) out of the texts and translate them! This will be of great benefit! And the vocab will also help with the listening. Listen to your CD's it will help! And help with your oral too!

I hope this helps in some way! :)

are you a past student by chance??
    if so whats the best way to tackle the questions you have to answer on a picture given in the written papper? i really appreciate your help, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

lainey108 wrote: »
    if so whats the best way to tackle the questions you have to answer on a picture given in the written papper? i really appreciate your help, thank you!
    A few sensical, grammatically correct sentences answering each of the questions you are asked on the picture is generally more than good enough for the ausserung. They don't want any brilliant, inspired ideas, just a good level of German. I found personally that it was generally easier to comment on the picture inspired by the theme from the previous comprehension - as you had a good stimulus with some similar vocab and generally the questions were more predictable.

For the letter, I always - without fail - preferred doing the reply to the letter you are given on the paper. Much easier to learn vocab for, and usually a good chunk of the questions will be similar to stuff you were asked in the oral. You could also use some of the vocab in the letter you were given if you were badly stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

lainey108 wrote: »

I'm a repeat! :cool: Got a B last year but hoping for the A this year!

This is one part that you won't exactly be able to prepare for. At least one of the pictures generally has a "describe the picture" in a few sentences. Keep the sentences basic to avoid confusion. A simple grammatically correct sentence will get you more marks than a complicated sentence that you mess up the word order etc. in. Say sentences like "I see a woman" etc. Make it up! Anything with correct grammar will get you the marks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

thanks guys, thats really helpful :) and much appreciated, i think german is the one subject that im really worried about :/ but thanks for ye'r advice :) and @crayon1 i hope you get your A :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tragic and blonde

Wow this suddenly seems so much easier - thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

just make sure you know your grammer and your Gen,Dativ,Akk,Nom changes etc and the rest will become so much eeasier

Advertisement