Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Sim Card?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a price plan for the US that includes data. Also has to be a GSM network. Looking at most sites in America, you have to sign a contract which I don't want to do.

Looking for something like the SIM only plans here i.e. 1 Month rolling contract.

Any tips or pointers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

T mobile have a good pay as you go plan.
    Top up by 50 dollars gets you unlimited calls all networks in the states and unlimited data at edge speeds ,though the first 250mgs is 4g.
    My experience of it in november though was the data stayed at 3g all the time.
    There is a $10 add on which would give you unlimited land line calls to Ireland and reduced rates to irish mobiles [30c a min for those I think,you need to top up to allow for those whereas the land lines are free for each month you add the $10 add on)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Not sure what the plans are but the simlocal shop in Dublin Airport sells AT&T and T-Mobile pay as you go sims, you could try there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

blackius wrote: »
    Top up by 50 dollars gets you unlimited calls all networks in the states and unlimited data at edge speeds ,though the first 250mgs is 4g.
    There is a $10 add on which would give you unlimited land line calls to Ireland and reduced rates to irish mobiles [30c a min for those I think,you need to top up to allow for those whereas the land lines are free for each month you add the $10 add on)

Sounds like a winner. Thank you!

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

There you go.
    Don't worry about the 4g bit,I was using a 3 g smartphone,the t mobile sim worked no bother in my google nexus s unlocked and also in an unlocked nokia e72

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

blackius wrote: »

Its 100meg at up to 4g speeds then 2g. It shows up as a 3 connection but the speeds are restricted. On that plan for a year now!

• Advertisement

interesting.
    I remember getting the text saying the 4g allowance was used but didn't notice any great speed decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

Thanks to OP for this thread - I've been looking for an answer to this very question! Will have to check out the sim shop at Dublin airport on my way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sagesilver4

There are plenty of service providers that have "Pay As You Go" services, where you can buy more minutes at one of their stores or even some convenience stores! (They sell them at mine) The phones are available at their shops, as well as at the electronics sections of pretty much any WalMart. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

go to walmart or best buy......they have pay as you go plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

On any of the pay as you go phones you are charged for accepting a call/text. Tmobile has not got great coverage in places but AT&T and the cheap Walmart ones (Trackfone) are excellent. But only the TMobile has a SIM card like home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

pay as you go plans will absolutely rape you on charges, the best solution if you're going to be there for a while (6-12 months, for example) is to buy the cheapest phone in the store outright. in doing that you'll be able to go on a month to month contract which you can cancel whenever you want. the initial outlay will be a bit more, and you'll have a crappy phone, but if you have an unlocked irish phone that's compatible with the network you can just use that instead of the phone you bought

that way you'll get all the perks of a contract, without having to worry about large fees when you finish it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Anyone know how to go about getting onto that 4G monthly plan on T-mobile? I'm heading over to the US for the month of June and the $50 Unlimited package with the added $10 international calls add-on looks to fit my needs exactly for my month's stay in the US.

Is it possible to order a sim to Ireland and then top up and activate the above plan when I arrive or do I have to wait until I find a T-mobile shop in the US on arrival??

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Take a look at simple Mobile. No contract. its pay as you go. $40 for unlimited calls, texts and data.

You can buy cards and top-ups of ebay. i have done this a few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lavine7

Cheers for that, much appreciated!

Advertisement