Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its official. Hankey is a PDC player

• 14-01-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/darts/16562493.stm

i was starting to warm to hankey again but after his behaviour today on and off the stage he was proven himself yet again to be a prick of the highest order.
    The PDC crowds will tear him apart and he will explode in every major comp. i give him a year before hes back in the BDO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lemegeton wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/darts/16562493.stm

i was starting to warm to hankey again but after his behaviour today on and off the stage he was proven himself yet again to be a prick of the highest order.
    The PDC crowds will tear him apart and he will explode in every major comp. i give him a year before hes back in the BDO

if he practices correctly, and gets his top form consistantly he wont go back.

there's too much money to be made in the PDC for Hankey. The exposure he'll get being the baddie will be more than he ever imagined.

i bet you when he checks his emails later on he'll have 10 times the offers he's used to for exhibitions alone.

im looking forward to his arrival, it'll be great

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Well PDC crowds are full of absolute **** who aren't even watching the games, BUT, despite Hankeys antics he is very much loved by darts fans. How many dracula's do you see in the crowd at Frimley Green every year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He'll get torn apart he's really going to have to learn to live with it. Take Manley, for example, after his infamous non-handshake with Taylor crowds abused and abused him however he took it on the chin and after a while the crowds learned to grow in favour of him, booing him for the sheer laugh and in an amicable way. Doubt they'll come to love Ted but it he's really gonna have to try and do what Manley did

Difference being that Manley is not a widely respected two time World Champion and Hankey did not refuse to shake the hand of Englands darting rose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hanky thrives on the reaction from the crowd and will play better against the better players every week. I see him winning a few players championship along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Can see Hankey doing very well in the PDC. His throwing action is one of the best in the business and going to the PDC will improve his game no-end. Can see him doing well too in the floor tournaments and it won't be long before we see him on TV at some of the majors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

if he gets his head screwed on straight then its good for the pdc but looking at his attitude this week and his behaviour today its hard to know how it will go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Lemegeton wrote: »
    if he gets his head screwed on straight then its good for the pdc but looking at his attitude this week and his behaviour today its hard to know how it will go

To be fair to Hankey, we don't know what's been happening behind the scenes.

He's probably had legal wranglings all week, or even longer.

He's definitely a bit touched in the head though. But we don't know the facts

Didn't he say something to Ray Stubbs last night about going backstages to sort a few things out. Who knows what's been going on with his contract situation

The same thing happened to Mervyn King a few years back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Ok maybe I'm way out on this one:), but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see hankey as a wildcard in this years prem league... Hankey up against taylor and a very hostile pdc crowd.. Sky must be salivating at the prospect:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Premier League 8 have already been announced.

I think Hankey will do well in the PDC, top 16 anyway.

• Advertisement

dexter647 wrote: »
    Ok maybe I'm way out on this one:), but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we see hankey as a wildcard in this years prem league... Hankey up against taylor and a very hostile pdc crowd.. Sky must be salivating at the prospect:D

I tipped this up a few weeks ago, but as a previous poster said, the 8 are already confirmed! I thought everyone from here to timbuktu knew that at this stage! I still think he would have been a great addition and that the PDC should have waited. I find it funny that the same people who say Barney should 'NEVER' have been in the premier league despite still being a top 10 dart player, say choosing Hankey would have been ridiculous. If the Premier League is about entertainment, then it would have been perfectly viable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

If Hankey plays anyway like he did against Taylor in the Grand Slam 2010 he will do well, he really needs to control himself on stage though, the PDC crowds are very unforgiving.

I like watching his throwing style. Very smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Perfect opportunity to expand the league to 10 now - Hankey and maybe VdV or Jenks, crowds would loe it - they are already near sold out - announce another 2 venues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I really think the PDC/Sky will be kicking themselves that they didn't wait before picking their PL players.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Perfect opportunity to expand the league to 10 now - Hankey and maybe VdV or Jenks, crowds would loe it - they are already near sold out - announce another 2 venues

I hope this never happens, it goes on for far too long as it is! The only way I would ever like to see ten players in it is if they cut it down to playing each person once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I hope this never happens, it goes on for far too long as it is! The only way I would ever like to see ten players in it is if they cut it down to playing each person once.

Or let them play 2 matches each night. Make the matches shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ted should have moved before now but it'll be great to see him in the PDC all the same. We'll see how he mixes it with the big names.

Rumors have been abounding about the likes of O'Shea, Waites and Winstanley moving across also. The Lakeside could start to take on a weird atmosphere where it's basically just the fifty something Adams and a cadre of fresh faced twenty somethings. Not that it's bad for the game but if a group photo were taken of all the finalists, with Adams center, the caption captains would be out in force.

I think that is a factor with a lot of players - there is a glut of young players coming up in the BDO, a lot of them dutch - the established names like Winstanley and Waites might wanna move and make as much as they can from the PDC before they run into trouble in the BDO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

its a good move for ted. i like ted and am happy he has made the move to the pdc. but i think he will realise the standard of the pdc is getting highers, especially in the floor events. i think ted will do well no doubt and move up the rankings very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I think that is a factor with a lot of players - there is a glut of young players coming up in the BDO, a lot of them dutch - the established names like Winstanley and Waites might wanna move and make as much as they can from the PDC before they run into trouble in the BDO

Winstanley's name is listed on the Q school list now.

• Advertisement

i thought the semi finalists in the bdo wc were offered a tour card from the pdc meaning they didnt' have to go to q school.

anyway the west brothers , steve and tony are entering q school

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭TheBigEvil

i thought the semi finalists in the bdo wc were offered a tour card from the pdc meaning they didnt' have to go to q school.

anyway the west brothers , steve and tony are entering q school

Yea the have been... see linky:

http://www.pdc.tv/page/NewsdeskDetail/0,,10180~2577909,00.html

Be mad not to take it, a two year card, great incentive to jump

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Yea the have been... see linky:

http://www.pdc.tv/page/NewsdeskDetail/0,,10180~2577909,00.html

Be mad not to take it, a two year card, great incentive to jump

thanks for the link, that confirms that then :)

The PDC offering a card to Lakeside semi finalists belittles the BDO's flagship tournament somewhat by rendering it sort of a proxy Q-school for the PDC as well as it being a passive statement about what the PDC feels is a disparity in quality between their respective ranks (can't really argue too much about that).

In fairness, the BDO barely acknowledge the PDC, although was comical this year as they were forced to talk of current PDC players constantly such has been the drain on talent! It's a tremendous pity that there isn't a more 'friendly' relationship between the two organisations that this passive aggressive treatment of each other continues - does nobody any favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

More than likely we will only see Hankey in the Uk Open and GSOD unless he really hits form on the Pro Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭leoch

i think wat ted needs to do is completly change his image and act when he goes to the pdc,get rid of the dr who tardis style sh1t music and forget about the count and the dracula dung and change his cocky persona on stage were he walks slowly to and back from the board like king dick, and just play his darts cause he is good to watch when he forgets all that sh1t and just plays his game, try and ignore the crowd at the start and they come to like him eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Co Stompe junior is also on that PDC qualifying list I notice! Be great to see 2 Co Stompes in the PDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

leoch wrote: »
    i think wat ted needs to do is completly change his image and act when he goes to the pdc,get rid of the dr who tardis style sh1t music and forget about the count and the dracula dung and change his cocky persona on stage were he walks slowly to and back from the board like king dick, and just play his darts cause he is good to watch when he forgets all that sh1t and just plays his game, try and ignore the crowd at the start and they come to like him eventually

sure if he done that he wouldnt be ted hankey
    thats why sky want him, hes controversial, gives people something to talk about

• Advertisement

leoch wrote: »

Huh?

Maybe he likes Dracula, the music, the image, the persona and the edgy relationship with the crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

On expanding the league - a 16-player league would be perfect for the audience, no repeat pairings and more variety. Definitely enough players of good quality for it but the only problem is the pot would be cut another eight ways. I sincerely hope it happens one day.

Hankey was cheered by the majority of the crowd at the GSOD where he won them over with the whole thing.

sc86 wrote: »
    sure if he done that he wouldnt be ted hankey
    thats why sky want him, hes controversial, gives people something to talk about

SKY and their pundit team want Ted to be controversial, no doubt about it. They would love that, it gives them something to talk about most importantly because darts, and this is not a slight to the sport, does not have an awful lot of scope for variability where you can talk about all the different little interesting things that happened in a match. I think it's part of what makes darts commentators so given to hyperbole, well, more so anyway. They've often been doing it so long that talking about 180s, high averages, high out shots, a close game, the nine dart finish, bounce outs, missed doubles, comebacks, an upset etc. holds less interest which has the effect of making them seem disinterested or near hysterical in their style. Controversy, players acting out, is something that commentators love because it is genuinely interesting every time, they can shake their heads and tut about it. SKY would get a week of pre session chat out of what Ted did last Saturday.

Syferus wrote: »
    On expanding the league - a 16-player league would be perfect for the audience, no repeat pairings and more variety. Definitely enough players of good quality for it but the only problem is the pot would be cut another eight ways. I sincerely hope it happens one day.

8 games a night would be way too much.

4 games a night and it drags on for twice as long, its already too long imo.

8 players is fine.

mdwexford wrote: »

8 players is fine.

Two tables of eight players each, with each table playing on alternate weeks, the top two of each table advancing to a knockout stage at the end could work and keep the variety but as was pointed out would also cut up the prize money pie even more and so the players may not like it. If they could rectify that issue, though, it's something I'd like to see because you do get sick of seeing the same faces week in and week out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

8 players is fine.

I thought it'd be obvious I meant that you'd keep the same program length but alternate weeks for players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

I think Hankey might struggle a bit in the PDC. With the BDO, he was a big fish in a little pond. He'll soon realise the standard at the PDC is slightly higher, even in floor events, and he'll encounter many players who won't be too flussed about playing him. Not to say he won't get respect, but perhaps not as much as he did in the BDO. I don't think we'll see him win any TV tournaments any time soon, if ever. But he's a character and the more of those the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Remember Hankey getting 21 180's in a first to 6 world final with a 170 winning checkout. I'm sure he'll be fine....

Roadend wrote: »
    Remember Hankey getting 21 180's in a first to 6 world final with a 170 winning checkout. I'm sure he'll be fine....

I'm sure he'll be fine too but past form means nothing. It's all about current form and he made it the Lakeside semis while initially starting off as a bit of a dark horse so should he be able to build on his current form, he should be able to contend throughout the year. There's a lot of should because we really can't know how his mental fortitude will hold up in the higher intensity of the PDC game, that's just something we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah 12 years ago.

• Advertisement

Yeah 12 years ago.

You're right, last year his 5-0 humiliaition at the hands of Taylor in the GSOD and his pitiful average show what a washed up has been he is. Oh wait.......

You're right, last year his 5-0 humiliaition at the hands of Taylor in the GSOD and his pitiful average show what a washed up has been he is. Oh wait.......

Two years ago, yeah he upped his game for nine legs, wow.

The averaged 90 when losing to Beaton and blamed the crowd as usual.

Well we'll just see what happens then, I'm sure he'll do alright, like all those other former BDO "below average players" who were going to do nothing in the PDC. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think he will as well, in another thread I said he could well break the top 16.

Your attempts are sarcasm are neither clever nor funny.

Advertisement