Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tara Towers Hotel

• 14-01-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

My son asked me the other day why the Tara Towers was built where it was (Merrion/Booterstown) and what the market was for it when originally built. I couldn't think of a good answer. It's not like it's near anywhere particular, and back in the 60s (70s ?) when it was built there still wasn't a whole lot of anything nearby other than a lot of housing which wouldn't require much in the way of hotel accommodation. Oh, and there was also the Montrose so it's not like there wasn't already a supply of rooms.

The best I could come up with in terms of market was -
    a) those bus tours that Americans used to take a lot
    b) UCD
    c) RTE
    d) St Vincents Hospital
    e) those offices across the road from the hotel

Does anyone know (out of interest) was the Tara Towers built on the site of an old/traditional hostelry or did someone just have the site and reckon that the 5 items listed above were likely to produce enough business to keep it going ?

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Nice view, close to city but in the suburbs. Close to the above including the RDS. affluent areas with plenty of buisness's.

Think my Dad my have managed it for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

*Lots of business from the hospitals, blackrock clinic, st vincents, and all the private clinics in the area
    *close enough to the city centre, easy enough access by bus and DART, but without the city centre rates
    *veiws of dublin bay
    *affluent area back in the time it was built, perfect place for a hotel imo.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

It always used to be packed for sunday lunches too.

I'd say it was much like the Montrose & Skylon (originally same group?) Cheaper land and could offer cheaper rates to commercial travellers, (traditional sales reps) many of whom were on a budget and didn't need to be in city centre location.

Advertisement