Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YurtYurtYurt

I think I'm derailing the thread by writing an introduction;
    I'm James, 27, living in Balham and working in London Bridge/Borough. Moved over last autumn.If anyone's interested in cycling, rugby, beer/coffee, boardgames, cinema give me a shout.
    If you like to publicly identify yourself as Irish, myself and a few of the lads sometimes go for a puck around on Wandsworth or Clapham Common...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I think I'm derailing the thread by writing an introduction;
    I'm James, 27, living in Balham and working in London Bridge/Borough. Moved over last autumn.If anyone's interested in cycling, rugby, beer/coffee, boardgames, cinema give me a shout.
    If you like to publicly identify yourself as Irish, myself and a few of the lads sometimes go for a puck around on Wandsworth or Clapham Common...

Might take you up on the puck about as Im in Balham too, I should have a hurley on the way over to me shortly, it's been a while since I pucked the small ball about.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

i saw this on reddit its unreal!

http://www.bl.uk/magnificentmaps/map4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I reckon I'll be posting here more often so I may as well introduce myself.

I'm Kate, I'm 22 and I'll be moving over to London in around a months time, haven't decided on a definite date yet, thankfully the job I'll be in are being extremely understanding and giving me as much time as I need to sort stuff out. I'm a Pastry chef and will be working in a restaurant in Camden.

Terrified at the thought of moving country alone but excited as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Pigwidgeon wrote: »

I'm Kate, I'm 22 and I'll be moving over to London in around a months time, haven't decided on a definite date yet, thankfully the job I'll be in are being extremely understanding and giving me as much time as I need to sort stuff out. I'm a Pastry chef and will be working in a restaurant in Camden.

Its a big move coming over but it will be made infinitely easier by having a job already lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

do you need any volunteers to critique your work? i may as well say, as long as it's sweet, there will be no negative comments. kinda like that baldy fella on masterchef, without the groaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I didn't know you were planning a move! :)

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I didn't know you were planning a move! :)

I wasn't really, it just kind of happened! I'm looking forward to/terrified of the adventure :)

I wasn't really, it just kind of happened! I'm looking forward to/terrified of the adventure :)

Sounds a bit like me! 'Here, have this job.' 'Ok!'

Let me know if you need anything before/when you move :)

Thanks I may take you up on that offer!

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a nice/not overly expensive restaurant in Finsbury Park? Taking my friend to lunch for her birthday today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

This is one of my favourite restaurants in London! I still travel across London to go there since moving from Finsbury Park.

http://www.pizzeriapappagone.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

This is one of my favourite restaurants in London! I still travel across London to go there since moving from Finsbury Park.

http://www.pizzeriapappagone.co.uk/

Just down street from me. Housemates rave about the place but I hate pizza! Must see whet else they have on menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

frag420 wrote: »
    Just down street from me. Housemates rave about the place but I hate pizza! Must see whet else they have on menu?

My girlfriend used to always get their pasta dishes and said they were really good as well!

Also they do seriously big slabs of banofee pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hi all, I guess this is an introduction as well as touting for help!! :P Myself and my partner (and cat!!) moved over last September. I came for college and he came cause I told him too!! :P But seriously we have found the move quite positive, based on my family who moved in the 80's I was expecting lots of hardship, but its not been too bad!

We got to thinking about all the other Irish folk who were moving over and decided that we wanted to make a documentary about it. If you would like to take part and talk about your experience of moving over the thread with some info is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057194635 or you can email me at emigrationireland@gmail.com

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

... when is summ(be)er??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

How so Joe wrote: »
    ... when is summ(be)er??

Soon, soon, soon! (I'll get a new thread up soon).

I think we should have beers in February. That's my official opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I agree. :)

Excellent. You and me can go for beers, Kirby!

• Advertisement

I am definitely in for beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Yah me too!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think February is the worst month of the year, so having beers to look forward to is a good idea!

Does anyone know somewhere you can get proper buttermilk? I want to make soda bread and the English stuff isn't the same as at home. If anyone knows somewhere near camden then even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Does anyone know somewhere you can get proper buttermilk? I want to make soda bread and the English stuff isn't the same as at home. If anyone knows somewhere near camden then even better!

I get out from Ocado. I believe the Arab shops sell it too. The English buttermilk over ever seen is sold in half pints like cream and it's thicker so thin out with some milk

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Milk + Lemon juice. Done

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc8755

Ahoy hoy

I'm Martin, 24, moved to London at the end of January for college (or Uni as I keep getting told) so I'm here for next three years. Living in White City for now. Frequent cinema-goer, Simpsons-quoter, all-around-nerd who misses living in rural Wicklow with my dogs and Mammy's dinners. Starting my PhD in January turns out to be a rarer occurrence than I'd realised so I haven't really got to know any other newbies at college (or here in general!), so would definitely up for meeting people for beers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Hey Martin, theres a meet up on the 28th if you're interested?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057362167

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

CityJet have a new route from London City Airport To Cork, flying 18 times a week. That's great news :)

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/cork-airport-london-city-cityjet-2191692-Jul2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

CityJet have a new route from London City Airport To Cork, flying 18 times a week. That's great news :)

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/cork-airport-london-city-cityjet-2191692-Jul2015/

Jazz weekend flights booked already :cool:

Advertisement