Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet the Londoners - an introductions & general chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Any idea of where to watch the rugby on Saturday? On the North Side but could head into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sheephaven Bay in Camden?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Calculon1982

Hey Folks,

I've been in London for nearly two years but actually don't have much of a social circle. I live in Borough wanted to know does anyone drink local round there? Also wouldn't mind meeting up to watch the rugby etc.

I'll definately start taking part in the meet ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Hey Folks,

I've been in London for nearly two years but actually don't have much of a social circle. I live in Borough wanted to know does anyone drink local round there? Also wouldn't mind meeting up to watch the rugby etc.

I'll definately start taking part in the meet ups.

I'm in a simular situation however my only social circle is work colleagues and I really want to branch out and make new friends. Don't really see the ones in Dublin so I feel I need to and of course want to make new ones here.

I have tried meetup, I went to one and was so overwhelmed by the amount of people it scared me. London has made a bit scared of crowd as I just can't handle them anymore :(

If you haven't tried meetup, I would suggest it :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the suggestion - I'll definately give it a go.

Trying to decide where to go for the day on Saturday to watch the rugby. I know Waxys, Portorhouse and O'Neills are the obvious choices but I wouldn't mind hearing any other suggestions if people have any. Do need to go somewhere in town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Trying to decide where to go for the day on Saturday to watch the rugby. I know Waxys, Portorhouse and O'Neills are the obvious choices...
    They are? There's plenty of good pubs in the Borough/Southwark/Bermondsey area and I'm sure a good number of them will be showing the rugby.

Ok maybe not O'Neills. In fact definately not O'Neills but for some reason alot of people automatically suggest there as a place to go I find. I don't mind the one in Clapham but I'm not a fan of the Leicester Square one.

Roxys in Borough is good as it has a large cinema screen but I need to be in and around Soho West End this time as I'm meeting people. I was hoping for a great pub near there that I hadn't heard of that would be full of fans.

Ok maybe not O'Neills. In fact definately not O'Neills but for some reason alot of people automatically suggest there as a place to go I find.
    Well, that's because (at the risk of stoking controversy) Irish people tend to be a bit insular and, as such, gravitate towards anything remotely Irish when abroad. Not all Irish people of course, but a sizeable number.

Case in point: The Swan in Stockwell. Absolute ****hole, but hang a few tricolours outside and, hey presto, it's full of Irish people.
    I don't mind the one in Clapham...
    Don't know about that - you're guaranteed to be stepping over vomit outside that place by about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

djpbarry wrote: »

Case in point: The Swan in Stockwell. Absolute ****hole, but hang a few tricolours outside and, hey presto, it's full of Irish people.
    Don't know about that - you're guaranteed to be stepping over vomit outside that place by about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Oi! The Swan is a fine institution filled intelligent and charming people, all of whom can handle their alcohol! :pac:

I'd say 2pm is conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Well, that's because (at the risk of stoking controversy) Irish people tend to be a bit insular and, as such, gravitate towards anything remotely Irish when abroad. Not all Irish people of course, but a sizeable number.

strange when o'neills is owned by a scottish brewery too.

although, some slack due for the occasion. you want a place with a decent atmosphere and preferably with a crowd supporting the same team you are. seeing as though OP is limited to the west end for other factors, i'd say waxys.

although, some slack due for the occasion. you want a place with a decent atmosphere and preferably with a crowd supporting the same team you are.
    Fair point, but there are decent spots in the general Clapham area that will most likely have a reasonable Irish contingent. The Craft Beer Company just off the High Street used to attract a fair few Irish for the rugby in one of its previous incarnations - not sure if there's sport shown there now though. Other options that are likely to be showing the rugby are, off the top of my head, The Stonehouse, The Belle Vue, The Falcon, The Rose & Crown, The Sun, The Calf ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

strange when o'neills is owned by a scottish brewery too.

although, some slack due for the occasion. you want a place with a decent atmosphere and preferably with a crowd supporting the same team you are. seeing as though OP is limited to the west end for other factors, i'd say waxys.

O'Neills is owned by Mitchell and Butler, an English PLC that owns a rake of other brands. Waxy's is owned by an English company too.

FTA69 wrote: »
    O'Neills is owned by Mitchell and Butler, an English PLC that owns a rake of other brands. Waxy's is owned by an English company too.

not sure about waxys, but when the OP is looking for a place to watch the match with more irish people in the west end, i'd opt for waxy's anyday. bigger screens and more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

not sure about waxys, but when the OP is looking for a place to watch the match with more irish people in the west end, i'd opt for waxy's anyday. bigger screens and more of them.

Waxy's is definitely owned by an English company, they own Brogans down in Fulham Broadway as well. You can tell all your man's pubs by those gammy black circular taps they have in the bars.

I like watching matches in Waxy's if I'm in town, the only drawback is that anything there on draught is utterly atrocious. The Porterhouse also has plenty of tellies and it's a better gaff in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I'm having a hard time adjusting to people constantly asking "you alright?" "you ok?" etc :confused:

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time adjusting to people constantly asking "you alright?" "you ok?" etc :confused:

wait til the locals start calling you mate. 'awoite moite?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

wait til the locals start calling you mate. 'awoite moite?'

And wait till you start asking it back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Playboy wrote: »
    And wait till you start asking it back!
    Don't be silly, bruv

Reekwind wrote: »
    Don't be silly, bruv

clearly you haven't been here long enough, blud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

innit...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://redd.it/1y4z60

Reddit thread about cheap things to do in London :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Mint Aero wrote: »

I still struggle with this. One woman at work asks me every morning when I arrive at my desk, in a very concerning voice, "Are you OK?".

I always think, "****, do I look ill or something? Has a rash broke out on my face?"... but no, she's just trying to be friendly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I also find it really strange the way people say 'See you later' instead of 'Goodbye'.

I'm not actually going to see you later! Tomorrow doesn't count as 'later'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Scarinae wrote: »
    I also find it really strange the way people say 'See you later' instead of 'Goodbye'.

I'm not actually going to see you later! Tomorrow doesn't count as 'later'!

Sure people in Ireland say that too :S

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Maybe it's just that the people that I sit near in work say it more often than the average, but I never noticed it as much in Ireland

Scarinae wrote: »
    Tomorrow doesn't count as 'later'!
    Yes it does?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

'See you later' is definitely not a British-ism. Most people Irish people I know say that, even more so than 'goodbye'.

I have noticed that a lot of English people say "isn't it?" at the end of sentences.

Advertisement