Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how clean is clean?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

As above, when cleaning a rifle barrel, do you have to clean it until the patch comes out spotless? Or is my OCD finally getting the better of me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I keep running patches through till they are spotless then put more solvent in and patch it till its spotless again,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Solvent on a bronze brush and run through a good few times then leave for 10 minutes. then solvent on a patch a couples of times and then dry patches until it come out clean.

Repeat if I feel I want/need to

job done.

I use a pull through bore snake between cleaning, centerfire rfile, which is after 30 -60 shots.

I use a pull through when the mood takes me on the 22lr and clean maybe on full moon/blue moon or 1000 - 3000 shots. But clean the bolt face & breech a lot sooner say 300-500 shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Longranger wrote: »
    As above, when cleaning a rifle barrel, do you have to clean it until the patch comes out spotless? Or is my OCD finally getting the better of me...

Y'ep.

Just ensure that you are using the rods that are plastic coated or carbon.

Those aluminum rods can rub off in and around the bore and you'll be chasing your tail - that is cleaning the rub off from the rod, and not the fouling of the round.

Advertisement