Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP 5.3

Options
  • 15-01-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

Hi...

Just wondering when PHP 5.3 will be coming to the shared hosting Linux servers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Which of our hosting plans are you currently using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Minimus

Ok. I'll have to check with our technical team, as I'm not familiar with exact versions etc.,

I'll try and get you an answer on Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cheers, thanks.

Current version on my package is 5.2.17. Just asking as a Wordpress plugin I want to use requires 5.3. Current released version is 5.3.9.

Not the end of the world if I can't use it though....

I checked with our CTO and we currently do not have an ETA on it. As soon as we do we'll probably post on our blog etc.,

If you really need PHP 5.3 I'd recommend you look at one of our cloud servers which start at €12.99 / month ex-VAT https://cloudstore.blacknight.com/?tab=cloud-vm-fixed-starter-1716

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Astart

Blacknight wrote: »
    I checked with our CTO and we currently do not have an ETA on it. As soon as we do we'll probably post on our blog etc.,

If you really need PHP 5.3 I'd recommend you look at one of our cloud servers which start at €12.99 / month ex-VAT https://cloudstore.blacknight.com/?tab=cloud-vm-fixed-starter-1716

Hi, just wanted to check if anything changed in path 2 months and there are any updates on when you are planning to upgrade to 5.3

Status has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Any update on plans to support PHP 5.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

I think BK should be putting pressure on Parallels to include PHP5.3 or PHP5.4 as PHP5.2 is no longer supported.

Many other platforms from other hosting providers already have PHP5.3 enabled so why fall behind the competitors?

I've checked with our technical team to find out exactly what is going on ..

On our current shared hosting platform the status is:

- Linux - unlikely to get PHP 5.3. We're going to be upgrading to a slightly different platform relatively soon which will have it, but I don't have exact timelines on that yet (it'll also have a lot of other stuff that people will really like)

- Windows - Probably end of July / beginning of August

In the meantime if you need 5.3 then one of our cloud servers is the best option

• Advertisement

I've checked with our technical team to find out exactly what is going on ..

On our current shared hosting platform the status is:

- Linux - unlikely to get PHP 5.3. We're going to be upgrading to a slightly different platform relatively soon which will have it, but I don't have exact timelines on that yet (it'll also have a lot of other stuff that people will really like)

- Windows - Probably end of July / beginning of August

In the meantime if you need 5.3 then one of our cloud servers is the best option

Thank you for the reply I will hold out until the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 poziczek

good im waiting for upgrade as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25 poziczek

good

• Registered Users Posts: 23 liam365

Any news on PHP upgrade for shared hosting as I'm getting this message on a couple of things I have installed:

You are using an outdated PHP version
    You are using PHP 5.2, a version of PHP which has been end of life since January 2011.

liam365 wrote: »
    Any news on PHP upgrade for shared hosting as I'm getting this message on a couple of things I have installed:

You are using PHP 5.2, a version of PHP which has been end of life since January 2011.

Getting similar messages. And a cloud package is not feasible for me at the minute due to finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

liam365 wrote: »

I am also getting this message on Joomla plugin. Is there any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Same issue here, any update on an update blacknight ?

I've raised the issue with one of the senior guys in Parallels and am waiting on an update from him - I think he's in Asia at the moment, so haven't had a reply yet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Have also posted this on the Blacknight forum but that has now been closed Obviously Blacknight dont want people to talk about this issue

Latest Extension to return error when trying to install in Joomla

"This extension is not compatible with PHP 5.2.17. You need PHP 5.3 or higher to be able to install and use this extension."

As this thread started in January and we are now in October not much action seems to have been taken on Blacknights part

Even register 365 have PHP version 5.3 and higher available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

- Linux - unlikely to get PHP 5.3. We're going to be upgrading to a slightly different platform relatively soon which will have it

A platform that's not Linux? Could you tell us what it is?

Current stable release of PHP is now 5.4.7. Being stuck way back on 5.2 is a real deal-breaker for me when it comes to using or recommending a Blacknight server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

I've raised the issue with one of the senior guys in Parallels and am waiting on an update from him - I think he's in Asia at the moment, so haven't had a reply yet ..
    Any news from your senior guy? I assume he has replied to you by now?

The irony here is that I am currently in the process of moving all my domains/accounts off hosting365 to blacknight as they refused to update php on their legacy package, and now blacknight are doing the same. I have stopped the move now, pending this updated, anyone recommend any other provider, I would like to support an Irish company if possible ?

A response from blacknight would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DannyBoy125

Any update on Blacknight moving to PHP 5.3 or higher yet (current release is 5.4.7)?

It's long overdue at this stage and increasingly becoming a point of frustration amongst developers.

I would move to Cloud Hosting, but it would be Amazon as it's free - whereas Blacknight is still fairly pricey.

Any update on Blacknight moving to PHP 5.3 or higher yet (current release is 5.4.7)?

It's long overdue at this stage and increasingly becoming a point of frustration amongst developers.

I would move to Cloud Hosting, but it would be Amazon as it's free - whereas Blacknight is still fairly pricey.

After talking with Tech Support. They are waiting on the vendor. BTW the free tier with Amazon is fairly limited having used it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

any update on when this is going to happen

can install the latest version of joomla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

No update yet I'm afraid. We're putting Parallels under increasing pressure to support this. They are the ones holding the cards unfortunately.

By the end of January we'll have new Hosting packages on Linux which will have at least 5.3.3. But existing packages won't get this version most likely. We will have a direct migration path from old to new with some limited downtime. More info when we have it.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

"You are using an outdated PHP version
    You are using PHP 5.2, a version of PHP which has been end of life since January 2011. It is insecure and lacks a lot of features introduced in newer versions. Akeeba Backup is still compatible with it and will continue working just fine. We are planning on removing support for it in the following months. You are strongly advised to upgrade PHP for reasons of security and compatibility with future versions of Akeeba Backup. All Joomla! extensions written since mid-2011 and the Joomla! CMS itself are already fully compatible with PHP 5.3."

Happy New Year to all ...

We are still waiting for Blacknight to get something happening on this
    Seems crazy that in 2013 we are still waiting for this to happen
    Blacknight has and will continue to lose business due to inaction on this
    I now have more websites wanting to sign up and will have to look elsewhere soon

Ah come on the senior guy in Parallels is probably on his xmas holidays. :)
    skippy2 wrote: »

I now have more websites wanting to sign up and will have to look elsewhere soon

skippy2 wrote: »
    "You are using an outdated PHP version
    You are using PHP 5.2, a version of PHP which has been end of life since January 2011. It is insecure and lacks a lot of features introduced in newer versions. Akeeba Backup is still compatible with it and will continue working just fine. We are planning on removing support for it in the following months. You are strongly advised to upgrade PHP for reasons of security and compatibility with future versions of Akeeba Backup. All Joomla! extensions written since mid-2011 and the Joomla! CMS itself are already fully compatible with PHP 5.3."

Happy New Year to all ...

Paul provided an update in December which referred specifically to the end of January 2013.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82119499&postcount=27

• Advertisement

Is this any indication that we should see this soon http://kb.parallels.com/en/114457

Advertisement