Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on your own?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Well, what do you reckon? Is it ok to get langers on your own? Ok to get blotto when there's no one else around? What say ye AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Nay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Nah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Need to hire a drinking buddy? PM for details........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Well, what do you reckon? Is it ok to get langers on your own? Ok to get blotto when there's no one else around? What say ye AH?
    I gave up on the oul gargle a while ago but I had no problem drinking on my own. Rarely in a pub but a rake of cans with the telly for company suited me no end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Absolutley fine.

One of my favourite pastimes is to have a Youtube night, just me and a load of beer, playing air guitar, air piano, air drums and looking at Cool vids and pics etc.

Usually goes on all night too. Couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

There's drinking for enjoyment and there's drinking to get drunk.

I like a good whiskey. I like it with friends, but I like it just as much to have one by myself, where I can focus on the flavours and aroma without distraction.

As for sitting on my own swilling gargle till I was twisted? What's the point in that? I think anyone who does that is either seriously addicted to alcohol or else has a very miserable life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ya, have a can with dinner- no big deal
    wouldn't get loaded on my own in thats what ya mean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Yay, perfectably acceptable as long as there is nobody else around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Nay, I have friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yes but I'm an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Drinking to get blotto, whether on your own or in company is not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's your life do whatever makes you happy (that's legal of course);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Does boards count as somebody? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yay, the odd time anyway and I wouldn't be getting locked.
    Cans as I play guitar and sing progressively worse can be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Poll Poll Poll

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

davet82 wrote: »
    Does boards count as somebody? :(

It does if you're posting in P.I.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I love how some otherwise frequent drinkers seem to have a problem with those who choose to do it at home in their own company. Drinking in a group or in a pub doesn't negate the fact that you're doing the very same thing.

I'd much rather have a bottle of wine or so at home every so often than spend 5 times as much just to do the same with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Getting a buzz on and interwebbing is fine. Getting ****faced on your own and crying yourself to sleep... not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Drinking on your own is preferable. It saves you being judged by how much, how quickly or what you drink.

Eg. Have you drank 3/4 of a bottle of wine?

Versus.

I am so bollixed I am considering ringing a taxi just so they can open this damn tricky fourth bottle.

The conversation is usually much better too.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

had taxi driver on pause so jsut finishing up watching it now too and also down to last cig but already have half can drank so can't make it to shop to get more:(

You won't drive because you have drank half a can of beer?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I like to get ****faced at home, i drink responsibly when im out. You dont have to worry bout passing out in the street at home. I have woke up on the couch one or two times though and wondered why i didnt go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Home alone right now, having a few drinks....I luv you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wattle wrote: »
    Having a can or two is fine but getting hammered regularly on your own would be a bit of a worry.

Getting hammered regularly is a worry whether it's alone or not.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Getting hammered regularly is a worry whether it's alone or not.
    Its not a worry for me, depends what you call hammered though , id be sober enough to be up and alert for half 8 in the mornin , and wouldnt start drinking till after 9 , so i suppose not that hammered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I don't see it as being any more sad than people using alcohol as a social lubricant or personality crutch. Having a load of drunken bollox-talking enablers sitting around you while you drink doesn't make it seem any more classy to me.
    But then I would say that; I'm drinking on my own right now... with the lads, the lads on boards.ie... I LOVE YUOS... *hugs* YIZ ARE ME BEST FRIENDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Having a couple beers and boards/youtube/chat tonight too.... i don't work fridays so this is the start of my weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Awh yeah, the summer before last I had a great time getting through a bottle of red on my own while getting ready to go out, sunset over the country side, window open with a nice breeze, favourite tunes nothing better.

In the past while the odd occaision I would have a captain morgans and coke or two at home not to get drunk but just tipsy while watching tv to unwind.

I think if you're balanced when you have a drink or two at home its fine you're not doing much get a little bit of a buzz and wake up fresh the next day.

If however you get completely disorientated and properly pissed at home and have a massive hangover you'd have to ask yourself why you're binging but thats when its the whole drink to deal with my feelings or avoid something not good or having a drinking problem in general is nothing anyone would wish for but I think that is why people are weird about someone having a drink on their own but if its responsible how different is it to having a drink watching tv with someone else?

• Advertisement

What about drinking in the dark with nothing but absolute quiet, there could be a teddy there for comfort but not too big that you would feel threatened by him. You used to have a cat but he left and took her with him.
    Is this normal?

Advertisement