Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on your own?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I don't drink, alone or otherwise.

Quite a few of my friends have drink alone at home to *unwind*.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I have never drank alone out of sadness or anything, it just really relaxes me. I laugh more at programs and the quality of humour on boards improves with every sip :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

I always drink on my own, not that i dont have friends i just like it.

I always drink on my own, not that i dont have friends i just like it.

I quite enjoy my own company too. I don't mind doing things on my own and it's so annoying when people think there must be something seriously wrong with you if you don't mind a bi of solitude. I was having lunch the last day on my own and a guy I know came over and really embarrassed me, kept asking me to sit with him and this other person, he was really pitying! I just wanted to read in peace! Feck off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If I was staying up watching a UFC event or something I'd have a few bottles while watching it but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I do it about once every 2 weeks sometimes more. I'll pick up a 12 pack or if I'm feeling generous with myself a bottle of scotch and a couple of cigars.

It can be tremendous fun, you just have to learn to embrace and appreciate your own wonderful self. I do anything from watching documentaries and old film noir movies to listening to classic rock, for instance I'll take an album and play it straight it through appreciating every note as I surrender to the marvelous clutches of inebriation.

Remember there's nobody around to protest or spoil the party, its just you and the bottle chillin and for those few hours everything is right.

I do it about once every 2 weeks sometimes more. I'll pick up a 12 pack or if I'm feeling generous with myself a bottle of scotch and a couple of cigars.

It can be tremendous fun, you just have to learn to embrace and appreciate your own wonderful self. I do anything from watching documentaries and old film noir movies to listening to classic rock, for instance I'll take an album and play it straight it through appreciating every note as I surrender to the marvelous clutches of inebriation.

Remember there's nobody around to protest or spoil the party, its just you and the bottle chillin and for those few hours everything is right.

I know, I love being alone with a drink! I don't do it often so it is always a treat :) I like to read plays sometimes while drinking, you appreciate them more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

As long as you're not going over board or doing it out of negative feelings it shouldn't cause any problems.

I used to have a Morgans and coke sometimes watching telly but then I noticed over a while I was going through a bottle of it within a month or two and though nah can't make this a habit or need it to relax. I wouldn't worry about what friends think as long as OP isn't in denial, I have worried about a friend had to have just a glass of wine at night, or the friend who didn't go out or have people over but always had plenty of empty bottles ready for recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

It's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The worse thing about drinking alone is getting down from the noose when you wake up in the morning you may even need help from a stressed out friend that had to kick your door in.
    Apart from this its a great rollercoaster of emotions.
    **** them all op they dont know you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

saa wrote: »
    As long as you're not going over board or doing it out of negative feelings it shouldn't cause any problems.

I used to have a Morgans and coke sometimes watching telly but then I noticed over a while I was going through a bottle of it within a month or two and though nah can't make this a habit or need it to relax. I wouldn't worry about what friends think as long as OP isn't in denial, I have worried about a friend had to have just a glass of wine at night, or the friend who didn't go out or have people over but always had plenty of empty bottles ready for recycling.

Well said it is a slippery slope and suddenly you are going so fast you can't stop. Nothing wrong with having a drink on your own but don't make a habit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

sometimes there is nothing better than a paper and few pints by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I'll have a few cans or bottles of good beer, or open a bottle of wine if I'm on my own at the weekends, not to get drunk, just because I like the taste.

A few drinks, some nice grub followed by lots of cake/chocolate while watching a film-bliss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

danslevent wrote: »
    I quite enjoy my own company too. I don't mind doing things on my own and it's so annoying when people think there must be something seriously wrong with you if you don't mind a bi of solitude. I was having lunch the last day on my own and a guy I know came over and really embarrassed me, kept asking me to sit with him and this other person, he was really pitying! I just wanted to read in peace! Feck off!

I had that a few times aswell, and even though all you feel like doin is telling them to fukc off if you did you would prob look like a right lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Well said it is a slippery slope and suddenly you are going so fast you can't stop. Nothing wrong with having a drink on your own but don't make a habit of it.

True but its a funny one as it really depends on what's going on in the person's head, I only got into the habit for a month or two maybe once or twice a week as I had a bottle as a gift but it was never going to be a slippery slope because I'm not emotionally attached to drink or using it as an escape from self chatter, if I continued to buy bottles and do the same it would be the reason pushing me to do that rather than what I was drinking which would be the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i regularly drink on my own both in bars and at home it helps me unwind and mull things over, if it gets too much it doesnt take a lot to turn around and spark up a conversation with some one at a bar,made a lot of good friends that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

found a slab of cans just sitting there and there's no one here to share them with so it'll just be me and the cans. and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

well in fairness when i head out with the lads to a club we all ways lose each other at the end of the night ,like one of them get lucky and leave or glued to a bird all night.

or do they leave me alone on purpose :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

While I love to get dolled up and go out with friends at the weekend, I also really enjoy a nice frosty glass or 3 of wine beside the fire and I see nothing in the world wrong with it.. all of my friends do it too..

Very relaxing imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i enjoy a few cans on my own when im playing eve online..... but technically im not alone cos im playing the game with an average of 50000 players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Few beers with a movie or music, nice way to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I love having a few drinks at home. I just wish it was more acceptable for a woman to go to a pub alone with a paper and prop up the bar for a few hours. I like pubs during the day but majority of times life gets in the way and when I do get the chance I've nobody to go with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

ash23 wrote: »
    I love having a few drinks at home. I just wish it was more acceptable for a woman to go to a pub alone with a paper and prop up the bar for a few hours. I like pubs during the day but majority of times life gets in the way and when I do get the chance I've nobody to go with. :(

Can't beat the pub and paper, love it! Especially if they have the racing on the box too!

I often go to the pub on my own but it's prob not the same as what this thread is referring to cos I know I'll end up meeting someone I know there!

Used to drink on my own in the house but gave it up a few years ago cos it was getting out of hand! Very rarely drink at home now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't drink on my own. My housemate and I sit at a long table, playing classical music, eating dinner, drinking wine and glaring at each other polite resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I like having a drink on my own at home its a nice way to just relax, my local is my gaa club so whenever I would go for a quiet pint I would end up in someones company as all my friends drink there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

hehe we should have a designated boardsie pub for those times when ya feel like a drink and there is noone to go out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nothing wrong with having a few at home. I have a few cans and watch dvds if my friends are skint and can't go out or not up for having a cans as the cheaper option to going out. Id often have a few in a friends house these days, but there is weeks where bills need paying or people aren't in good form. Then it ends up with cans at home and a few dvds or some good music. Its a good way to unwind I think but don't make a habit of drinking alone. People would say that most alcoholics get addicted by drinking alone, just be in control and keep the level head and that won't happen. Not weird at all, its better than going out every week and getting locked and then regretting spending all that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

It's great sitting at the bar with a paper for an hour or so but now you bring it up I can't remember seeing any women doing it, one women at a pub I visit use to sit at the back near a fake fire and read a book with some wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I only drink when in the company of friends. Drinking on my own isn't really something that appeals to me. I read through this thread and some of it was a bit worrying. People getting hammered at home on their own and just posting on boards all night. Thats not good, the internet is not a good substitute for actual face to face social interaction. Not a good habit to get into imo.

Advertisement