Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on your own?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It's great sitting at the bar with a paper for an hour or so but now you bring it up I can't remember seeing any women doing it, one women at a pub I visit use to sit at the back near a fake fire and read a book with some wine.

I worked in bars for years and loads of men would come in on their own and sit at the bar with a pint and chat with me or with some other bloke who came in and wandered to the bar.
    But women never did. Not to say it doesn't happen but I've never seen it.
    I think a woman sitting alone at a bar with a pint, one of two things will happen. People will hit on her. Or people will be afraid to talk to her in case it looks like they are hitting on her :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ash23 wrote: »
    I worked in bars for years and loads of men would come in on their own and sit at the bar with a pint and chat with me or with some other bloke who came in and wandered to the bar.
    But women never did. Not to say it doesn't happen but I've never seen it.
    I think a woman sitting alone at a bar with a pint, one of two things will happen. People will hit on her. Or people will be afraid to talk to her in case it looks like they are hitting on her :p

ill meet ya for a pint if your bored

signed

your drinking buddy Larry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

ash23 wrote: »
    I love having a few drinks at home. I just wish it was more acceptable for a woman to go to a pub alone with a paper and prop up the bar for a few hours. I like pubs during the day but majority of times life gets in the way and when I do get the chance I've nobody to go with. :(

Is it not acceptable for women to go into pubs alone? :confused: Where's this? Not Dublin?

I'd be inclined to think that if a man criticised a woman for drinking alone it says more about the patrons of that particular pub than it does Irish society in general. I've seen loads of women in pubs by themselves, having a drink and reading. Honestly, I never even thought twice about it.

I say go in for one whenever you want. If someone hassles you, tell them to fook off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It's not that it's unacceptable. That was probably the wrong choice of words. But it definitely isn't as usual to see a woman on her own in a bar than a man. I don't know any girl who finishes work, heads to the pub on her own and sits supping a pint hoping to meet some other girls she knows.....but that's a fairly regular thing for the boys. Well, that's the way it's been anywhere I've lived. Maybe in the capital things are a bit more modern :o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

back in the day i used to do it a lot...but it wasnt much good for me...had no control over it like ;) So now just in company..thank god its easy to find company haha only jokin dont really drink anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I dont mind having a drink or two on my own-nice sunny day reading out the back garden with a few glasses of wine is heaven, or on a cold winters night a bubble bath a good book and a drink...
    Id also have no issue with drinking on my own in a bar as I do so many evenings when I work away from home in the hotel bar, although usually you would end up talking to somebody by the end of the evening.
    I would never get drunk alone though, big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

We are all alcoholics apparently.

Test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Test
    Scored 25%:(
    Rehab here I come.
    Ill just finish that slab of heineken in the fridge first.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Scored 25%:(
    Rehab here I come.
    Ill just finish that slab of heineken in the fridge first.

I got the same result.

Fancy a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

tbh i cant see anything wrong with drinking on your own, whether at home on the net, few dvds etc, or out in a bar.
    i mean does that mean that if all your mates dont want to head out for a few drinks you have to sit at home even if you really want you head out?! :confused:

if i go out to a bar alone, id usually very rarely end up sitting alone all night, id usually see someone i knew or something like that and it can turn into a truly brilliant night :) , random nights like that seem to be the best imho

if i drink at home alone it with a few dvds or on boards etc, its fun tbh and once your not getting completely off your face everytime you do it then whats the problem?!

and 25% for me too, ah not bad though, seriously thought i would have gotten more in that test, answered it completely honestly and everything, more drink so :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Got 30% was sure I would have got higher.
    I'd have a drink most night and sit-in play Video Games with friends on-line.
    I don't really like going out to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

OneArt wrote: »
    I don't drink on my own. My housemate and I sit at a long table, playing classical music, eating dinner, drinking wine and glaring at each other polite resentment.

wasp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I will go to the pub by myself and bring a book, but have never drunk at home by myself (unless you count finishing of a days toil in the back garden with a bottle of ice cold Sam Adams) sitting and surveying work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Done it loads of times, but I feel like I'm dying every time I do so. It's better to have company to remind you that you're alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

LOVE drinking on my own! After a hard week best recipe to unwind is wine + DVD + doodling. Love drinking with friends too, and family, and strangers, and fictitious ghosts, alter ego's... etc. etc...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

but once you have one, you have to finish all the cans :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Test
    i barely scraped a pass on that test, i mustnt be drinking as much as i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

35% that test is too closed answered (does that make sense?)

anyway... kschhh there goes another can!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

At home I've no problem drinking on my own.
    In a pub though - I seem to rush the drink, drink faster than normal and not enjoy it as much -dunno why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I would drink in the pub on my own no problem.

dont think id bother drinkin at home on my own , think id just get depressed,

but I would drink in the house if my dog was there , know that sounds weird but when your loaded to the gills u can chat away and he wont judge :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Im never alone when Captain Morgan is around ;)

Way i see it is alot of the Irish thing about drinking alone at home being unhealthy is propaganda from pubs and the catholic religion, alot less speople would be killed on the roads or injured in pointless violence if people had the odd drink at home, i have the odd drink because i enjoy it, Irish mentality of going out and getting hammered and then ruining someone elses night by having them drag your drunken ass home never appealed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I love the cans of Heineken when i drink on my own.

Just sitting back watching a DVD is the best way to unwind IMO.

Never drink spirits at home though, i feel i just drink them to fast and end up being totally pissed, a lot more pissed than i would be after the cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I love a pint out with the lads!

But i also like my own company at times, how do you feel about drinking on your own..either in a pub or at home?

I sometimes drink at home alone, watch a couple of films or DVDs and i love it, but some friends think it is weird or sad!

Personally i couldn't give a fcuk what they think, it is just most think it is weird or wrong in some sort of way.

How do you feel?

If I had friends that stupid, it might well drive me to drink.:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If I had friends that stupid, it might well drive me to drink.:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Agreed. I no some people (some friends) who think it's better to have a couple of spliff's on your own rather than a few cans.

I don't see how it is better to be honest but i have had people say i am sad or a loner for drinking on my own which is ridiculous.

Advertisement