Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If it was possible to never feel tired again, would you?

• 15-01-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Say you were offered a free, 100% safe operation that ensured you would never feel tired again, never needed sleep (and could never sleep) and would add 5 - 9 hours to your 24 daily hours without suffering from tiredness or fatigue, would you do it? Obviously you'd still feel physically tired from exercise, but I'm talking about the normal desire to fall asleep in the evening after a long day.

Personally, I enjoy sleeping, and particuarly dreaming - I really look forward to it. Having said that, I hate feeling tired, and I feel tired quite a lot. It affects most things in my life and if I had the chance to never feel tired again, and never crave sleep, that would be difficult to turn down.

Could you do without sleep again? 72 votes

No, I love sleeping/dreaming too much
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, I wish I was never tired and would do anything not to feel so!
    100% 72 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't think I could go the rest of my life without sleeping. Sometimes we just need to sleep, and get away from everything for a while. Things are always better in the morning. Without sleep, the world would feel, I think, like a horrible place. Everyone would always be doing something, and if they weren't - what would be the point in giving up sleep?

Doing absolutely nothing is severely underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No

There's nothing quite like the feeling of relaxation and satisfaction that comes from hitting the sack at the end of a productive day or a hard workout.

Now, if it was a way of avoiding random and no-reason tiredness, then maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

No way, it would be like selling your soul, I love to go to bed. What would you do after sex?
    What would you do when everyone else is asleep?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No dreams, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

What would be the point in sex then if you couldn't just roll over afterwards and start snoring?. . .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bicardi19 wrote: »

Browse Boards, like I do most nights when people are asleep. :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

For 6-8 hours a day I can escape this **** world, no body is taking that away from me. EVER!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

policarp wrote: »
    What would be the point in sex then if you couldn't just roll over afterwards and start snoring?. . .

Reproduction. /buzz-kill

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

Yes because I wouldn't have to get up for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Alot of fantasys happen during your sleep so a no to some techie solution to us not sleeping ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

hmmmmmmm,

No- that feeling on Saturday when you realise you have no work and get to wake up and go back to sleep is one of the best feelings in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I am pretty sure my boss dreams about this and me signing the dotted line! are you my boss?, just cos im not sleeping right now, doesn't mean I dont need sleep - I'll see you on monday at 9 11 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd drive myself demented if I didn't get to sleep of a night.

At the end of the day, it's a good thing that you shut off & sleep for a few hours.

gurramok wrote: »
    Alot of fantasys happen during your sleep so a no to some techie solution to us not sleeping ;)

Now - a techie solution where you could control your dreams (e.g. relive a great day or night 100%, or even break away from the actual memory to take a different - albeit virtual - path) would be cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sleep is awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Of course I would. I'll probably spend about a quarter of a million hours of my life unconscious. That's almost a third of my expected life... one in every three minutes totally out of it.

No thanks, I'd rather enjoy what time I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sleeping is the best part of my day. That's kind of why I stay up all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I like being tired. Feel sharper in my mind when I feel tired for some strange reason. More quick on the reply if you know what I mean?

Disclaimer: I'm half pissed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

No way I would rather feel tired forever. I can remember when my kids were babies getting up for night feeds, it feels like you are the only person in the world awake, such a lonely feeling. I would hate to suffer from insomnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ewo

No. To sleep, perchance to dream, ay, there's the rub.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Now - a techie solution where you could control your dreams (e.g. relive a great day or night 100%, or even break away from the actual memory to take a different - albeit virtual - path) would be cool!

Is that you Tom Cruise aka some 90's film i can't remember the name of? :)

Yeh if we can control our dreams would be uber-cool. Often i've gone to bed imagining a positive situation only it to switch to something utterly different by the time I woke up several hours later, now if that can be controlled via some Harvard grad techie inventor would be well the best since they invented electricity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yes I get all my best plans laid at night when your all tucked up but then I get all tired and cant finish my enemies lists :(

Is that you Tom Cruise aka some 90's film i can't remember the name of? :)

Yeh if we can control our dreams would be uber-cool. Often i've gone to bed imagining a positive situation only it to switch to something utterly different by the time I woke up several hours later, now if that can be controlled via some Harvard grad techie inventor would be well the best since they invented electricity :)

Vanilla Sky, maybe ?

Vanilla Sky, maybe ?

You're asking me at this hour of the night whilst under the influence? :P

Yeh, probably was Vanilla Sky, just imagine if we could manipulate our dreams into something positive? Think of the feelgood factor! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

SuprSi wrote: »
    Say you were offered a free, 100% safe operation that ensured you would never feel tired again, never needed sleep (and could never sleep) and would add 5 - 9 hours to your 24 daily hours without suffering from tiredness or fatigue, would you do it? Obviously you'd still feel physically tired from exercise, but I'm talking about the normal desire to fall asleep in the evening after a long day.

Personally, I enjoy sleeping, and particuarly dreaming - I really look forward to it. Having said that, I hate feeling tired, and I feel tired quite a lot. It affects most things in my life and if I had the chance to never feel tired again, and never crave sleep, that would be difficult to turn down.

That part right there is where you lost me. It'd be handy at times to not need sleep, but I'd hate to not be able to ever sleep again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah
    I always hated going to bed, I regard sleeping as a waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I hate going to bed. I do everything I can to delay it. For me, there's nothing more depressing than getting home from work and only having a few hours to enjoy before sleep and it all beginning again.

In fact, I find that the early hours are when I'm at my most productive. I used to write my best college essays at 2am (and, unfortunately, now some of my work stuff too).

Although I hate going to bed, I enjoy it when I'm there. I f3cking hate getting up in the mornings....

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    In fact, I find that the early hours are when I'm at my most productive. I used to write my best college essays at 2am (and, unfortunately, now some of my work stuff too).

How's the essay going now as its just past 2am? Perhaps write an AH novel? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

I like my lie-ins too much.

Also, what would you put in the bedroom in place of the bed? And what would you call the bedroom? :confused:
    Weird idea OP. Weird idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I am pretty sure my boss dreams about this and me signing the dotted line! are you my boss?, just cos im not sleeping right now, doesn't mean I dont need sleep - I'll see you on monday at 9 11 :)

Terrorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I was stumped here for a second. Then I looked at the notes for my exam on Monday afternoon, my 6 Paint By Numbers, the 11 new books I haven't read yet, Skyrim, WoW, my Wii and the laundry pile. If I could have surgery that would remove the notion of sleep so that I would neither need it nor physically miss it, I would take it in a heartbeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No. For a simple reason in my mind (no pun intended).

The brain like every other part of the body, needs its rest.
    Its like a muscle in the rest of ones body.
    It possibly also needs a break else it might burn itself out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You need something to break up the day. Imagine how bored you'd eventually get if you were awake all the time.
    Plus you need time to just relax and switch off from the world for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sleep I believe is a good way of also being able to de-stress.
    I'm no expert in this medical field by any measure but sleep sometimes I feel, is conducive to de-stressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

How's the essay going now as its just past 2am? Perhaps write an AH novel? :D

If only I was still in college and writing essays - those were the days! Yea, an AH novel could be the solution though! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Who said anything about needing surgery to do it?There are communities online that practice the uberman technique,where you sleep 20 mins every 4 hours(2 hours daily total).They say that after starving your brain of sleep for a few days you start becoming more efficient and enter complete REM sleep(The most important stage) for those 20 mins skipping the stages which don't give much reward.

There's a youtube video series made by an irish guy who did it for a month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_VKY0L_BA

Also for what it's worth during my exams a few weeks ago i got 3 hours for 2 days and feel quite rested surprisingly.Got 8 hours on the third day though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

bicardi19 wrote: »
    No way, it would be like selling your soul, I love to go to bed. What would you do after sex?

Spoon

I would definitely go for it.. I hate feeling tired during the day and wide awake before bed. I usually wake up every day around 8am and cant get back to sleep even if I got home at 6am.

If evolution had given us the ability to not need sleep and we were asked, "do you want to be unconcious for 8 hours every day?", it would seem like the most absured idea ever. It's one of my earliest reasons for dismissing God.. It's just bad design.

I've been tempted by the 20 minute naps thing and really should give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It takes me hours to get to sleep, even when I'm tired.
    I used to get around it in my school days by skipping a nights sleep once a week but I'm not able for that anymore.

I'd love to either banish sleep from my life or be able to sleep properly.
    None of this time wasting trying to sleep and waking up every hour or two when I do.

• Advertisement

Yea thats the worst.. Its such a waste of time lying in bed waiting for sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Add another 5-9 hours of hearing my wife tell me what the fvck I'm doing wrong?????

Sign me up!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I'd love to have constant energy, I hate feeling tired so much but moreso during the day like when you're in work and falling asleep at the desk. The thing is I don't think I'd do that much with the extra time because things are shut at night anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

only if shops would start opening 24/7 aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Without sleep, inception would of never existed :O

But, I'd say it be pretty cool, you'd get so much done, could work more, more money etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

No there's nothing worse than not being able to sleep in the middle of the night and you'd be bored.

You'd lose track of what day it is as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If you did not have to sleep you could do a 16-20 hr working day.

Loadsa money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Josephine O Beirnes

I love the idea of it, but rolling over in the bed on a sunday morning listening to the pissings of rain outside makes me says no, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

You would go absolutely insane if you could never fall asleep. As well as a physical necessity, it's a mental necessity.
    It allows your brain to relax and process the day's information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So you're advocating permanent insomnia, OP? Besides, no sleep would lead to death in about a month anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement