Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Eiréann Fleet Photos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

are all 88 three axle coaches? If so, BE must have serious plans for expanding their services!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

corktina wrote: »
    are all 88 three axle coaches? If so, BE must have serious plans for expanding their services!

Not all of them are tri-axles, they are only a selection of the new fleet, because BE have bought buses to improve city services in Cork and Galway.

I've heard, although I could be wrong, that the new city buses for Cork and Galway do make up the majority of the new fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Not all of them are tri-axles, they are only a selection of the new fleet, because BE have bought buses to improve city services in Cork and Galway.

Any word if there are double decker busses in that order (badly needed in Galway)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Would it not be possible for the buses cut from the Dublin Bus operational fleet under Network Direct to be shipped out to the sticks for use in their city bus services? They're fairly modern low-floor double-deck models. Or are they earmarked as spares or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Would it not be possible for the buses cut from the Dublin Bus operational fleet under Network Direct to be shipped out to the sticks for use in their city bus services? They're fairly modern low-floor double-deck models. Or are they earmarked as spares or something?

I would imagine they have used the cuts to phase out non low floor buses rather than the newer ones.

• Advertisement

The city buses that are for Cork and Galway are a mix of single and double decker.

The new double deckers I understand are a modified version of the current Volvo Gemini's. They used the current models in Dublin on the 103 to Ashbourne/Duleek and currently in Storage in Cork.

No official confirmation from BE as of yet, but ,it is rumoured that some of the new double deckers will go to Galway. But BE could transfer the current 103 & 105 buses batch from Dublin into Cork & Galway, then they will have the new buses for Dublin only.

It has been noted that BE may be keeping them for the 2nd of February which is their 25th Anniversary.

I made a mistake, the actual figure is 60 new buses, not 88. Apologies for that.

I found this as well.

http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-to-upgrade-fleet-in-2012-297531-Dec2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jehuty42 wrote: »

The buses cut are not fairly modern or low floor; they're Alexander R (1981 design) stepped-floor units. Even after ND, Dublin Bus still have RV's in use.

I'd also not be too confident that either the RVs or the AVs (the next ones to go, but not for a while) to take Cork's hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

corktina wrote: »

No, more like the opposite. There are more cuts in planning for this year.

The larger capacity single and double-deck coaches are to reduce the need for additional coaches on departures that are currently oversubscribed by small amounts which can be a very costly exercise. There are no plans to increase the service fleet in general, the new buses will be used to cascade older ones to schools use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

MYOB wrote: »
    The buses cut are not fairly modern or low floor; they're Alexander R (1981 design) stepped-floor units. Even after ND, Dublin Bus still have RV's in use.

I'd also not be too confident that either the RVs or the AVs (the next ones to go, but not for a while) to take Cork's hills.

The RVs would and I am sure the extra capacity on certain Cork city services would be welcome by the majority of passengers, particularly those left behind by overflowing single deckers on busy peak runs. Unfortunately the idea of replacing low-floor accessible buses with nasty old step entrance buses would not go down at all well in many quarters, mainly that of people who do not actually use the bus services in question but vocal types who get their opinions widely distributed nonetheless.

The result is that DB are stuck trying to get rid of a large amount of virtually worthless buses that are in excellent condition and have many years life left in them while BE Cork are in desperate need of increased capacity buses on city services. This obvious solution of using these buses as a stop-gap measure for a few years will not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Will the new intercity coaches have onboard toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

bk wrote: »

And wi-fi and plugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Jayuu wrote: »
    bk wrote: »

And wi-fi and plugs?

As far as I know, the new Scania Irizars have toilets, also acording to the Journal, WiFi will be rolled out by the end of the year, not sure about plugs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kieran4003

There are 88 buses & coaches on order. This is broken down as:

28 Bus Eireann funded Intercity Coaches:
    20 Scania Irizar i6 Intercity Coaches (SE Class)
    8 ADL Berkhof Double Deck Intercity Coaches (LD Class)

60 NTA funded buses/Coaches:
    25 Scania Irizar Century Commuter Coaches (SC Class)
    25 Volvo Wright Single Deck Buses (VWL Class)
    10 Volvo Wright Double Deck Buses (VWD Class)

The bulk of the buses & coaches have been delivered. Both of the citybus types have all been delivered and are currently in storage in Irish Commercials in Naas. The SC & SE class are in Westward Scania in Roscommon.

The SE class will be the new flagship Expressway Coach. They are Tri Axle, Extra Long Coaches. They will have darkened glass, Wifi Onboard, Sockets at every row of seats & a wheelchair lift. There are no toilets onboard.They will contain a revised version of the Bus Eireann livery:
    Photo:http://www.flickr.com/pho...N05/6692404245/lightbox/

The SC class will operate on Commuter Routes. They will have the same features I think as the SE class, not sure about the sockets though.

The LD class will be an Intercity version of the existing LD coach, They will be 1 metre longer to allow for extra luggage space. None of these have been delivered yet I believe. They may have similar features to the SE class.

The VWDs will be similar to the existing VWDclass. They will have Wifi Onboard. They may be allocated to Dublin or Cork.
    Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/6716579999/

The VWL class will be similar to the existing VWL class. They will be allocated between Cork, Galway & Limerick.
    Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40606253@N06/6308134031/

The new buses and coaches should begin to be entering service in a few weeks.

There may be a further order next year, tenders were issued late last year for new single deck buses, double deck buses & coaches. If it follows the same pattern as this order, orders should be confirmed in April/May.

I hope this all answers any questions anyone had.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Kieran thanks for answering our questions.
    kieran4003 wrote: »
    The SE class will be the new flagship Expressway Coach. They are Tri Axle, Extra Long Coaches. They will have darkened glass, Wifi Onboard, Sockets at every row of seats & a wheelchair lift. There are no toilets onboard.

No toilets :mad:

One of the most important features of modern coach services. No one wants to get caught short on a three hour bus ride. And no asking the driver to stop and popping behind a bush isn't an option for anyone over 22.

Haven't GoBus and CityLink proven the importance of onboard toilets to Bus Eireann's expense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

its a strange one all right. Otherwise very good buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭kieran4003

The SP class which is currently the main Intercity coach has some coaches which are used for tours and private hire. Many of these look the same on the outside but have different arranagments inside. The seats are the same in the normal SP class coaches but are facing each other with a timber effect table in between, like a train. Many of these have toilets aswell, but it is Bus Eireann policy if these buses move onto normal expressway services to have the toilets removed. I am not fully sure why, but it applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

A pity that they seem to have decided that toilet facilities aren't essential. But the rest of the news is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

There no never more than two hours without a break on BE expressway routes.

Why would toilets be needed?

salonfire wrote: »

Where is the break on the 3h50 Route 2? There's other routes >2h without them but that is likely the longest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ha! you'll find out in a few years when your prostate swells up and tries to throttle your water works! effin Kids...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

A primary reason for no toilets is there are financial implications of using it. There is the matter of insurance but more of an issue is the cleaning of the toilet and disposal of waste. There are very limited "toilet drops" around Ireland for coaches and those that are there are prohbitively expensive to use. As a result many smaller operators simply find a secluded gully or layby an dpull the plug as it were. Not an option for alarge operator like Bus Eireann. They would have to install serious infrastructure at depots to handle toilet emptying duties. I know a few private operators who work for Bus Eireann and they are expressly forbidden form unlocking toilets for use on Bus Eireann services (except the Eurolines services)

If a passenger fell and got injured while going to or leaving form the toilet there would be a serious liability issue. Also the use of a toilet on a coach goes against Health & Safety policies and even the law. PAssengers are supposed to be legally remian seated and belted at all times but the use of an onboard toilet encourages passengers to move about the saloon while the vehicle is in motion. Fine in many ways on a motorway but not so good on an Irish rural road!

What about the direct non-stop Cork-Dublin service that they seem to operate at peak times on Friday and Sunday? That takes over three hours.

Here are some pictures of the new buses I found on flickr, some of which contain the new 2012 SC's. They were taken last week.

Enjoy ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64388011@N08/sets/72157628970951349/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Isn't there a legal requirement that long-distance bus routes have a break if the journey is over 2h30?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

currins_02 wrote: »
    Also the use of a toilet on a coach goes against Health & Safety policies and even the law. PAssengers are supposed to be legally remian seated and belted at all times but the use of an onboard toilet encourages passengers to move about the saloon while the vehicle is in motion. Fine in many ways on a motorway but not so good on an Irish rural road!

So private bus operators are breaking the law?

The new Bus Eireann city buses for Cork and Galway are going to have new promotional 25 year logo which could be spread across the fleet in a few months time.

http://www.corkbus.com/

It is a intreresting development altogether, however, BE have already repainted part of their fleet already.

Do you think this logo came too late in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

That logo sucks. What's the point of it? It just stops you enjoying your view out the front side windows.

I thought from the name of the link you posted that Cork and Galway were going to get there own separate identity's.

Boo-urns.:mad:

Typewriter wrote: »
    That logo sucks. What's the point of it? It just stops you enjoying your view out the front side windows.

Can't remember the name of the material but its about 90% see-through from inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭markpb

The new Bus Eireann city buses for Cork and Galway are going to have new promotional 25 year logo which could be spread across the fleet in a few months time. It is a intreresting development altogether

A logo is an interesting development now?

I can only speak for myself but I couldn't care about how old BE (and the other CIE companies) are if I tried really hard. It's not an achievement for a state sponsored company (who, for a long time, enjoyed a legal monopoly) to exist for 5, 10 and 25 years.

Advertisement