Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Acting in America

• 15-01-2012 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello I was wondering whether anybody has any information/experience about studying acting in America. From what I can find it seems very expensive. I was looking into the UK but as I already have a degree so that's also quite expensive but not as bad so I and am wondering if it's worth my while trying America (as competitive as it seems) Any advice welcome.

P.S. a visa shouldn't be issue for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wingsnfire

Are you thinking about Film Schools or Theatre Schools as in the US there is a big difference. I know a lot of people who studied in the US but didn't actually learn anything. From my own experience I studied theatre craft, dance and music. My advice would be study in Dublin then audition for a touring production as that is where you really learn your craft. Also make sure you get a good Agent. I know a few agents in the US and I know a really good one in Ireland PM me if you want any anything.

One thing you need even now is a good US style show-reel and you need to get used to US format scripts as they are used more than European formatted ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 senape

Thanks wingsnfire I think that's what I'm going to try do for the time being. I appreciate the advice.

Anything I can do to help. I've some contacts in the US and Europe if you want to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I auditioned for the American Academy of Dramatic Art and was accepted. I very nearly made the move over, but I also auditioned for some of the NCDT schools in the UK. I found myself rather keen on Manchester as a city... so when I was accepted to the Manchester Met School of Theatre I decided on going there.

Can't say it was the better option as I never experienced the alternative... but it certainly makes it easier, considering Manchester is barely a 30 minute flight from Dublin; making any Irish auditions a whole lot easier and accessible.

It also helps with networking being so close to both Dublin and Manchester. I may be well out of date here but I did some extras work with the BBC when I was little. it may be worth getting on an extras list if they still have them.
    I'm getting the script tightened for BURNED screenplay by Ted Stokes if you want to come on set while we are filming here let me know. The Director is Canadian and quite well known as an international actor as well, the Stunt Director/Fight Co-Ordinator is from Hollywood and 1st AD is also on board so it could help you with contacts. The offer is there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 charliechiaps

wingsnfire wrote: »
    It also helps with networking being so close to both Dublin and Manchester. I may be well out of date here but I did some extras work with the BBC when I was little. it may be worth getting on an extras list if they still have them.
    I'm getting the script tightened for BURNED screenplay by Ted Stokes if you want to come on set while we are filming here let me know. The Director is Canadian and quite well known as an international actor as well, the Stunt Director/Fight Co-Ordinator is from Hollywood and 1st AD is also on board so it could help you with contacts. The offer is there for you.
    Hey wingsnfire,

I am considering heading to America on a one-year Postgraduate Visa in the next 6 months. I would like to work as a screen actor - tv & cinema.

I have lots of theatre acting experience but no official acting training - except for lots of courses I have done. I have only done Extra work for tv and cinema, and acted in one film-student's movie.

So I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I would need in order to get work over there.

I have a Masters in Drama & Theatre - some of our modules were acting - but, again, for theatre.

If you have contacts for agents over there could you please send them to me also?

If you have any advice, I would be very grateful.

Regards,

Charliechiaps

Advertisement